Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Attunement

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If I understand the Attunement system correctly, the following scenario will be happening now (soon).

Say you level to 50 in Sun Magic attunement and 50 in Moon Magic attunement. I believe that will be a wash and it will be like you have zero attunement in both Sun and Moon Magic.

Which if I'm correct would be a huge waste of experience points. ;)

So what I propose (if it's not already working this way it should in the future) is that once you train a point in Sun Magic, it creates a deficit in Moon Magic. But if you train a point in Moon Magic it REMOVES the point of Sun Magic.

What I'm trying to describe is a Zero Sum Attunement system that never allows a player to have more than 100 total points in opposing attunement. So you could have 40 Sun and 60 Moon, but you could never have 100 Sun and 100 Moon...because there's no point and it's just a waste, that's why.

Since we also can't remove skill points or redistribute them at the moment, I think this would be an easy long term fix that just "makes sense" to me.

Heradite likes this.
  2. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Stop making sense Drocis. But yeah. I agree that you should have to pick which attunements to go for not go for all of them.

3. Drocis the Devious

The OP has one small problem that I didn't realize before. I think the impact of oppossing attunement is currently negative .5. So if you had a 100 Moon and a 100 Sun Magic, it wouldn't be that they cancelled each other out, exactly. It would be that they were at about half as powerful as they should be when dealing with Moon or Sun Magic from another monster or player. It's kind of weird.

I don't really understand why anyone would do that, be a grandmaster in attunement of opposing schools of magic.

4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

To mitigate the weakness to the opposing school, perhaps? Being a grandmaster in attunement in Sun magic without any mitigating factors would put you at a huge disadvantage to Moon magic. Spending the XP to be a grandmaster in both would waste a huge amount of xp better spent elsewhere.

5. Drocis the Devious

Right. I can see wanting the large reward and taking on the large risk of being a Grandmaster in one school. But I can't see the tangible benefit of mixing the attunement, it seems like once you start mixing you inherently weaken your position and it would just be better to have zero attunement, wouldn't it?

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

If you have no attunement in the opposing school, then you would have negative attunement in it, which I assume would mean you are inherently weaker than anyone who is not attuned in the school you are.

7. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Sure, you would be weaker. That's kinda the point and trying to mitigate that weakness only hurts what should be your strength.

8. Noric

Noric Avatar

If you want the highest possible attunement, then you don't want any in the opposing school. If you want to have high attunement and moderate safety you want at least some points in the opposing school.

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This all makes good sense.

But what happens with a skill like 'Douse?'

Scenario: A water mage decides to train GM in Water Attunement. Thee mage casts Douse. Douse is supposed to squelch fire damage. But the mage is a GM in water attunement, which reduces effectiveness towards fire?

Or does it work another way?

10. Drocis the Devious

Good question, but it doesn't work that way. Water Attunement would help your Douse Spell (make it take away more DOTs) the more attunement you had in water magic.

11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Right. But you still become a little more vulnerable to fire, so that you can just douse it better?

12. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Theoretically, with enough time and xp, someone could have the equivalent resistances and power boost of 50 attunement in every school.

13. Drocis the Devious

I see what you're saying now. Yeah, so the fire DOT would increase, but the Douse would be more effective. :)

14. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, and that I suppose is a play style choice. Makese sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.