Baking, Forgin, Farming: Skills without clicking or pressing.

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by owenmcgarel, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owenmcgarel

owenmcgarel Avatar

I saw a Sir_Tim post a thread called "Is Farming a Skill?"

I read it and noticed something that could improve the game. Here me out:

Some Skills don't have to be something that has to be something activated by a push or click of a button. I think that Skills such a Baking, Forging, or Farming should be something that could effect the outcome of a normal action. This is how I picture it from a Farming prospective:

A person without a Farming Skill will have a normal growing time with a 5-10% chance that the crop would fail. However, those with a Farming Skill with rank 1 would have a 1% chance of crop failure and those with higher Farming ranks would have faster growing times, some kind of extra benefit to the yield, and 0% crop failure.

I think that having some Skills (such as the ones mentioned above) work like this would improve the role-playing experience of the game and give merchants in the world a competition.

rild, Vyrinor and jondavis like this.
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I think what your suggesting is that skills don't limit you from being able to do something, they just make it much more effective and better.

I have a feeling SoTA might work this way - even in combat. You can try to use a sword without a blade skill, but it won't be pretty. I really don't like games that don't even let you hold a sword.

I think this is real and adds to immersion. If I wan't to be a dufus and try to make a chair at a crafting table without any skill, I should expect minimal results and maybe an injury!

rild and Phredicon like this.
  3. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Im very good (it seems) to bring UO in the every one of my posts, nearly :) Well point. UO had planting, you dind need skill. Pot, seed and fill it what ever the plant needs, soil, sand, pure water etc. Every one can do that. next comes the tending, where you need some knowledge like where to clip for maximal fruit/seed output, crossbreeding, water levels, sunny or shady location etc.

What if: Plants would have "recepie" (like the Edelmann beer) that is teachable, ones learned, you could grow the plant - just remember to tend it (dayly? ones per few days? or have possible NPC - like house keeper do it?). There could be "general" planting recepie that would cover the norm basics, like wheat. Im not ruling out special skill that could lend boost to your outcome somewhat and remember alchemy -> fertilizer.

So far, all across the boards, we are coming up tons and tons of non combat / social / sandbox ideas, I truely hope some of em gets implemented. They, for me, represent the thing that I stay for and I dare to say, judgin how much housing has people talking, that there are like minded people here. Alot.

NirAntae likes this.
  4. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Since this game has seasons then we should have to learn to plant during the right time of year.
    Which could mean some food and regs are easier to get at cetain times of the year so you better stock up when you can.

Wsye likes this.
  5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Maybe not.
    I think this is what I was thinking of.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...nd-relaxing-dev-replied.885/page-3#post-11578

The streach goal only says they are adding game changing weather.
    Maybe this question needs to be asked.

But adding seasons adds depth to the game.
    Like I said different crops at different times of the year.
    Besides that events that go along with the year like harvest times and times for certain cretures to come out.

6. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Anything that adds depth and realism and things to do that are completely unrelated to combat of any sort make my heart go pitter-pat... lol

<3!

7. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Unfortunatly it runs into the same issue that time does, ie this is not a static single player game. If it was a single player game then you can progress time and seasons logically and realistically but it becomes far more difficult when you have a game which has to keep running while your not playing it. As chris mentioned ages ago if you set time to 1:1 or even an even dirivitive of 24 then you risk forcing players to play at the same time of day or night all the time. The same issues are going to happen with seasons. If a year is a week and I can only play on a tuesday does that mean that I can never grow anything because its always winter?

Its funny, I have had the same argument on the Diablo forums about the server shut down every tuesday. ie a game should fit around your life, not the other way around. The humours and extreme end result of this would be people having to call in sick to there work or refusing to go out with friends or partners because "sorry I have to been here to plant my crops because they have to be planted at 05:00 on a tuesday to get the best growing time"

8. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

I'm very, VERY much in favour of seasons! That would expand the realism involved in resource collection immensely. As for putting crops in the field at the right time, yes, that would come into play, but if seasons were a month long, that would eliminate that problem, at least to as great an extent as I think would be necessary. Yes, crops planted in Winter that are supposed to be harvested in that season would do poorly, but if seasons are a month long, then 'Winter' is a much large span of time than 'Wednesday'.

rild, jondavis and NirAntae like this.
  9. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I was more referring to this: "So far, all across the boards, we are coming up tons and tons of non combat / social / sandbox ideas, I truely hope some of em gets implemented. They, for me, represent the thing that I stay for and I dare to say, judgin how much housing has people talking, that there are like minded people here. Alot. " rather than seasons specifically. :) Though I do like the idea of seasons! 1:4 is a pretty 'standard' timeflow for games, which would make each season a little under a month. If you're only logging in once every four months, this is probably not the right game for you. >.> And as for the 'always playing at the same time of day' issue, just make it slightly non-standard... 3.9, or 4.05 or such. That way if you get online from 5 to 6 every day, the ingame time of day will vary gradually.

10. owenmcgarel

owenmcgarel Avatar

Wow. Thread got kinda derailed. Lol, but Vyrinor I'm glad to know there are like minded people here on this community on skills working like this. I just think I'm just pushing for it more and hope it'll be implemeneted. And yeah, seasons do sound cool.

11. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Farming and combat = Regs
    Baking and combat = Plus to Health
    Forging = Weapons

With Seasons
    Reg prices will change depending on the time of the year
    You will be eating different kinds of foods
    When the snow melts the best metal for armor and weapons will be found
    And like I said some creatures may only come out at certain times of the year.

12. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

"So, you want I should make ye some beer, is it? Aye, could do, could do, but ye're wantin' a wheat beer, ye say. Well, now. Ye looked outside? Ye see all that white stuff that be restin' all fluffy-like on me fields? That's snow, it is. Winter. Wheat... not so easy ta come by in winter, ye ken? Now, happens it does that I set some wheat aside this autumn, just so, lest I find myself needin' tae make some beer for someone what don't ken what season it be. So aye, I can do it. Probably the only brewer in Britanny what can, truth ta tell. But it's winter, lad, like I said. So aye, I can do it, but it'll cost ye. Cost ye dear...."

rild and NirAntae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.