Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Balance Chain Lightning.

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by MrBlight, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I think the resists are too high and cancel each other out. In the end you have to pick archery to deal damage. You shouldn't be able to resist almost all the damage done to you.

2. lildoc

lildoc Avatar

Not sure if stun duration is affected, also I don't use any breaks (don't recall mentioning using one) but then I didn't need to as I resisted most of the stuns. when a stun did land it did seem short. I requested that he use as much lightning / chain lightning as possible and not to hold back. I also started the fights as far away as I could be and be in his range. I believe when I was in range he was also using discharge which seems to have a high stun rate. FYI. once i closed the distance I used a shield slam or two for interrupts.

The bottom line is both the stun and damage are counterable, it takes choices and adaptation (as it should). The line of sight issues do imho need reviewed. Whether lightning would do that or not in the real world, is not good for game play.

Beli likes this.
  3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

So just to summarize a little bit, as im seeing air reisstance do 0 for the stun chance or duration. ( Just heavy armor skills )
    Is there anyway a light armor or mage can counter the stun or reduce the duration?

4. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Does avoidance work against spell dmg and affects?

5. lildoc

lildoc Avatar

You can use a shield, the shield stun resist is better than heavy armor anyway. That wont work for archers of course and would be a pain for a mage granted but its not impossible to make it work.

6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

thats.. actually a good question. I use combat dodge myself. And ... i can dodge NPC mage fireballs.. but have never dodged a spell" ? (tho ive never actually tested it ) .. will put that on my to test list. Because if SO that is actually the first viable counter for a light armor arguement ive read from this thread.

True, still screws any archers though.

Yea after dicking around, im not seeing Air resistance actually effect the stun length. So im still seeing it as a click to win for air mage Vs any light armor wearer.. only option being a shield so far?

I am going ot test combat dodge and dmg avoidance and how that effects the CL spell tho.. Thats a good thought.

7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Ieasy way to see a difference is to stack evasion and shield of ice.

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

From reading this thread there seem to be stun resistances that some folks haven't been using and that could counter the chain lightning stuns.

If the Devs are following this thread, I would like to make a plea not to nerf chain lightning, but perhaps bolster the resistances for PVPers.

PVPers need to have a good experience and balanced combat, but nerfing any kind of attack adversely affects PVEers as well, many of whom are primarily crafters and gatherers who are thankful for an effective AOE to defend themselves against hordes of NPC mobs. In the current release, it is virtually impossible to pick off any bandit or skeleton one-by-one. They come at you in droves.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Beli, Numa, Mac2 and 8 others like this.
  9. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Large shields are kinda a no go for most casters/healer since they can greatly increase the fizzle change. I looked at the small wooden ones which don't and I may add one to myself with the passives which would greatly help me defend as a healer kinda an odd combo though. My mighty wooden shield will take out your stun locks soon ;).

Numa likes this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I don't know yet what it is like since the changes, but I can tell you last release, getting my bolster balance gmed with air res gmed, I was not able to be stunned by air. Lets just look at skills at 80 shall we. Level 80 chain lit with 111 dex and 125 attunement, 72.8 stun chance. well grounded level 80 is 20% air res. Bolster balance at level 80 is 31% stun res. Hard headed at level 80 is 20% stun res. You can masterwork a heavy helm to give another 10% stun res. So, added all together, provided they are all stacking stun res ( I dont know if well grounded is giving stun res or not) that is 81% stun res if well grounded is counted and 61% if not. As well, and I have not tested this yet since the changes either but, you SHOULD get the cc buff vs stun giving an extra 20% each time you get stunned, stacking up to 5 times.

Lets compare the exp amounts to be able to have 111 dex and 125 air attunement vs getting 3 skills to 80, and the gear to get dex that high vs one helm. I can definitely say getting the air attunement to 85 base is WAY more exp then getting 3 skills to 80. One needs 11 skills at 85 as well as train dex to around 80, depending on gear. And getting high dex gear is harder then getting a helm with one specific masterwork.

Now you say you put one skill at 40 to counter this, and expected that to be enough? That is like 5000xp you spent compared to the millions the other guy spent. This is kinda like saying bows need to be nerfed because a guy with gm bow skills is killing me despite my 40 in defensive stance.

Beli, Xandra7, Crowquills and 2 others like this.
  11. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Uh... I think you should go back and read his post again. He didn't put 40 points into a counter and expect it to work against a GM, he put 40 points into chain lightning and was able to easily perma stun people in duels... it was an example of how easy it is to lock someone down unless that person has built their whole character around countering air specifically.

12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Then hes using it against someone with no stun res. I had people with the whole air tree gmed that could not stun me once bolster balance was up before persistence. What's his stun % on chain at level 40 with whatever hes got for air attunement and dex? 40%? Bolster balance does 31% at level 80 by itself. 3 skills at level 80 is a whole character? If he can lock anyone with only 40 in chain, why does he not use it against that guy then?

Beli likes this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Your half reading.

Im fully aware tanks and heavy plate have the counter for it.
    Whats the counter for light armor wearers? For mages its first stun wins.
    For archers ?
    Air attunement reduces the dmg not the stun chance or duration. Air resistance skill ( altho i havnt tested hard ) seems to reduce the damage aswell, not the stun or stun duration. ( though correct me if im wrong )

Yes we already tackled the * i could stun him first then i would win * debate..

Your argument says that yes. there is a counter build to it. and yes ive stated this.

My question was as follows :
    Is there another single skill in the game that requires such a counter or your completly screwed ? And if not, doesnt that spark the idea that maybe somethings off?
    And 2
    Whats the counter for light armor wearers, besides stunning them first? Or are 1/3 ( other mages ) come down to, first cast of it wins. and 1/3 ( archers ) - hope your heavy armor.
    So lets say 1/2 .. cant really counter it ? ( ignoring option of running same thing ans clicking first ?)

This is ignoring the LoS issues, and the fact that even at 40 in the skill, that there is no cc reducing buff ( my original argument that there should be diminishing returns on the stun either per bounce (multiple targets ) or per stun ) just like everything else.
    So yea that 20% reducing stun per cast would be nice.. but im not seeing it in my testing? as then hitting 5 stuns in a row in a duel.. wouldnt work. making me quite happy.. and making it seem more balanced..

And touching on exp.
    Air attunemnt to 80 is definitly not that much exp.. because isnt it.. ( and its late and im tired ) 15 per wand. 15 per chest. thats 45. plus neck lace plus ring.. which is either 15 or 30 more.. .. so 3/4 there with 0 skills accounted for ?

Id be happy if someone said air resist actually prevents the stun.. as im not seeing it but im also limited . becsuse that would yes, mean well grounded is an option.
    Also the avoidance / combat dodge i would like to know if cancells the stun, as that would be a good counter argument.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Gonna play with it a bit more when i get a chance. Could be there is viable counters that arnt tank based. which would be nice.

15. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I think they may have added the 20% reduction for controls after this post started. Today I have been seeing it from sand elementals. You now get a buff after hit with earthquake so that there is a 20% less chance to be controlled after the first hit. I have not had a chance to test it in pvp so we'll have to see the next time we go out and get hit by a lightning mage.

MrBlight likes this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Is there another single skill in the game that requires such a counter or your completly screwed ?

Yes, trip and knockdown are really bad, you can jump out of stun, you cannot jump out of knockdowns. The diminishing returns on cc have been around for a while, BUT, that does not mean they are working right now, still did not test yet. You might want to invest in a chain helm and chest piece and get the stun res masterwork on the helm, and level the innate hard headed from heavy, you should notice a substantial difference in how often you get stunned then, as well, you can use bodyslam then. If you can use a shield, bolster balance is the best one, 31% at level 80 stun res. If your game tomorrow, whisper Mac, and we can do some testing. Ill see if I still cant be stunned with bolster up.

17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Well i know that cc buff wasnt working when i made this post. even that change is absolutly massive.
    Shield is outa question.
    Yea i havnt been on as much as id like, but im going to test a few things yet.
    Will elaborate more after fact.
    If andar is right and they DID add the cc effect since this thread started, even that is a massive.. massive difference then when i was playing with it the first time. because it was NOT clicking that buff on, meaning perma stun to any non heavy armor was very very easy to do.

18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

What about smelling salts? Anyone can use them.

19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

That was something that came up that i never even thought of.
    A very good counter and suggestion.

So since this thread started,
    It looks like the CC buff actually turns on from CL hits now, ( A massssssiiive difference )
    resistance DOESNT seem to effect stun chance or duration,
    the LOS is broken (goes through walls). - something that needs to be adjusted eventually
    Smelling salts - Very good option. - definilty something im incorporating.. though very hard unless you know what ure comen up against ( but thats fine , ill get him on round 2 )

still need to test avoidance and dodge aginst CL ..
    Tanks = np with air mages.

Adam Crow likes this.
  20. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

smelling salts description says it breaks confusion and mesmerize... does it actually work on stuns as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.