Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Balance Chain Lightning.

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by MrBlight, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

Ultima Online MAGIC REFLECTION (how to beat this spell? just lunching a small fireball after every attack)

but the idea that a player can cast a magic reflection during combat is a VERY VERY NICE thing..

2. Curt

Curt Avatar

Make a object lighting rod that you can place on the ground and that for a while
    That basically works like COVER vs lightning attacks

And maybe a permanent version that can be placed in some scenes and Pots

Vaiden Luro and The Hendoman like this.
  3. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Every one already is. Everyone has chain lightning decks. You need to calm yourself down btw, you're acting like a baby. You think it's working as intended? Fine. Stop being so emotional.

4. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

the CC effect should be about 15/20%, instead of 70%

Numa and MrBlight like this.
  5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I love when people get fiery!
    This basically tells me you dont know how decks work, and sorry but your point becomes moot.
    Despite be getting my ass kicked, i still love PVP. Im fine with the system, it just brought to my attention the outa whack skill atm.
    Not for light armor, and air resistance yes becoming a must.... that doesnt change the premise of where the discussion kind of came from?

Your also not really contributing anything productive. And im assuming you go try it before getting all worked up about it.. or go duel someone whose running a pure lighting deck. Tell me how your resist holds up ;)

Yea im still okay with it pulling out of stealth.

The guys pretty much nailed it up top, with there was 2 good posts -
    See, this would be a good adjustment IMO. As in my original example, mage jumped tank, archer and fighter jump mage at same time, 1 chain lighting managed to keep perma stun (which is silly,) to all 3 of us.
    When talking about * Balance * name 1 skill that can come close to being used to control 3 people to death?
    Ran into the mage ( and yea hes a monster, props to him ) right after, and 1 cast = dead again .. not due to 1 hit dmg, but 1 hit stun.. easy follow through with no real counter. ( Knights grace? Okay, i would have to run 5 copies on my deck... ) )

Resistances, yes i agree are a must ( and i do have them is the funny thing)
    It still brought to light that, its in its own catagory compared to other spells / skills.
    (Was i bitter? Oh hell yea. Did i go back and adjust the post to relate my actual issue? Yes. Did we simply test it and see if it is that redicoulous? Yup. )

And .. im assuming you dont realize that the reason no one was pvping before was because mages were dominent? For .. mainly this spell?
    Once again, i m fine with the pull out of stealth ( yea im aware of how auto attacks work ) .

But your argument is kinda silly.. .. Your telling people to run the perfect counter deck to it, and then claiming we all shouldnt run the same decks. Im worken deeper into air resist.. which is fine, but it doesnt change the premise of my post. I can take Chain lighting up to 40 ( and i did ) and i can perma lock in most people very easily. Unless they have the specific build against it. NOT ONLY that, ii can doit to a whole group of people. There arnt many skills that are so 1 sided , full counter or you loose, as chain lighting.
    The dmg is fine, range is fine, stealth is fine. But right from start, the diminishing stuns post = perfect... makes sense. I agree with that. Argument on why it shouldnt have diminishing stun effects? Or less duration per target bounce ?
    (The bounce range is amazingly long aswell tho)

It also kinda makes SAP look useless.. Mesmerize is a higher end spell, useless in same situation.. theres just very few things that really have that hard effect + hard dmg.
    Diminishing stun per target hit is still the best thing ive read here, which makes sense.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Nox Haven likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Maybe try:

Blink, Icefield, Moonbeams, CHAINLIGHTNING :D, Discharge and Blink again ^^

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol love it. Unfortunatly i didnt make a mage like a sucker = (

8. uhop

uhop Avatar

Then it is your sacred duty to provide the other side's view with reasonable arguments.

9. uhop

uhop Avatar

Oh, I've read it. I just didn't perceive it as "reasonable". But you adjusted your position in subsequent posts, so I decided to reduce noise and not to comment. Keep up being constructive!

10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Lightning (my level 80/attunement)
    26-60 damage
    66.2% stun chance
    4.6 sec stun

for only 1 more reagent you get!!!!!

Chain Lightning (my level 80/attunement)
    26-60 damage
    66.2% stun chance
    4.6 sec stun

Why would these have the same stats? Who would use lightning in a PvP setting? This is honestly a head scratcher. I don't have air hate at all but if @Chris wants to look at balance why not make these two unique skills instead of having one a carbon copy of the other except you get a CHAIN for 1 more reagent!!!

OH LOL

My Lightning has 24% fizzle in full chain and Chain lightning has only 20% fizzle!! It has a better fizzle rate too.

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I brought this up in R33.

I don't know if the stats are just mistyped or out of date, or if they just didn't get around to looking at it. I know they have a ton on their plate, but these are the kinds of things that are really frustrating.

Don't even get me started on the moon tree. :)

uhop likes this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

The funniest thing is, the game gives you all the resources you need to approach this situation from various tactical perspectives, apply different strategies, and achieve win. Those things require practice, patience, and a strategic use of skills. Lots of stuff needs balanced, sure, and lots of systems need completed, let alone fleshed out. All warfare is deception. Just figure out how to sneak your way to win.

@Greyfox pretty much sums up my sentiments - most PVPers just want a gank squad that cant be competed with (except for a much larger gank squad). Most, not all. I am a former hardcore PVPer that always solos and insists on a skill/tactics based experience. Id like to make my comeback to MMO PVP with SotA, but not if its going to be like "most games" where angry teenagers scare the company with swear words and angsty cries about not having a win button, and the company becoming slightly more compliant to the complaints over time. I dont think Port would, but you never know what happens when enough fear and emotion are tossed around.

Beli, Stundorn, Greyfox and 2 others like this.
  13. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Which part of "Person that gets the first stun off wins the fight" is going to make PVP more tactical or skill based?? Are you sure you were a "hardcore PVPer"? Because there is nothing tactical nor at all interesting about everyone needing to have the exact same offensive stun skills and defensive stun counters.

angry teenagers indeed... they are currently pushing back hard to keep their I win button from being taken away.

MrBlight likes this.
  14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I find it more funny that people keep going on and on about the gank squad.. when even in my example.. it was a chain lightning mage.. * ganking * the fighter ( who wasnt with us btw ? ) .. is the funny part.. so tecchhnically.. the original ganker in this situation was the chain lightning spammer = P. And ignoring the part of where i clearly state, we engaged a 2nd time, in open.. and even with pure rapid fire, 1 cast = perma stun again. Which was the premise of my frustration.. which lead me to go level it to 40 and screw around in a duel.. and realize. * hey.. * if you really dont build the complete counter.. its a win button in pvp. And that theres no real skill that needs its own complete counter build , or you loose, like it. (that i have seen so far )

So far you got a few people who look at it and go * yea. the stun should scale down with targets, and yea even with a good resist, you can still be perma locked in.. * .. and then others still focused on .. what? That we fought a mage? Lol .. Moved past that a while ago,.. got told to test it ? So i did.. ( coarse thats ignored too ) .. I can perma stun someone with 40 in it. Thats the simple fact of the matter. Comparing it to other spells, is it balanced? Yes or no?
    I feel no. And the people saying yes, are basically saying you need to run the perfect counter to it obviously.
    So i ask : Is there other builds that need a *perfect counter* or they wreck you even near as close as Chain spamming? because i havnt run across any others?

And Grey Fox wasnt aware you can cast it more then once every 15 seconds.. so i find his opinion on it pretty lacking. So i would say.. Go test it yourself, then make a good argument?
    And tort.. You clearly state you havnt actually participated in the PVP, so im assuming you've not come across the build yet? Kinda hard to imply its crying about wanting an easy mode.. when you imply you havnt even tested it yourself. So id ask that you also do a quick test to make a productive argument, instead of assuming im just bitching about a skill, and less interested in the actual balance of the game then you.

So basically exactly what preach said Tort..
    Are there other builds that require a complete counter or you instantly loose, like the CL build? Cant seem to see any spells that would even come close. And yet to see any brought up.
    That all being said, i dont run as a mage, so maybe there is more builds that need a complete counter. Can you guys name some?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Nox Haven likes this.
  15. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I guess my only thought here is,if chain lightning is reduced to satisfy PVP'ers ,it is going to reduce the effective nature of it in PVE,which isn't going to set well with a lot of folks who need it. But no, I don't know of a effective way to counter it,unless you build up resistance to that tree.

Beli likes this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I feel like when i was screwing around, the bounces ignored LOS aswell, though i cant confirm that as i didnt really look into it.

17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Meh , everyone has to adjust for PVE. And like i said little further along. Its not even the damage.. or even the stun chance, so much as the fact as it has no diminishing returns per bounce, or per cast on the stun length itself. And while i have NOT used in PVE, if you can hit 4 targets and keep them perma stunned till death with it.. I would think thats pretty OP compared to any other relavent skills even then? Trying to think of anything that is even in the same ball game (if that is the case of how it works in PVE ).
    More curious about my other question though, are there any builds you've seen pvp related that even come close to being that dominent, unless against a complete counter to it? ( because that would kinda be the basis of the balance argument wouldnt it? )

Frederick Glasgow likes this.
  18. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Problem 1: People don't use smelling salts

Problem 2: I agree all CC needs to be adjusted somehow to deliver diminishing returns...

That being said, the resistances play an important role now considering the damage.
    So you are forced now if you want to compete, to level ALL schools... Yes ALL.
    I think the system needs to be re-balanced as a whole. Melee or Archery got indirectly buffed. Because in the long run it is the only way to deal consistent damage.
    Also don't forget Adv. Level, as it seems to me that it is still the major deciding factor in all battles.

MrBlight likes this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I use Wind, Water and Moon Magic because of roleplay, doesn't know about it's op unbalance and I do no pvp, because I am a casual and roleplayer and that is not because I am a ******** or a bad pvp'er, but because most people are much, much more skilled with points, have more money to buyback and have better equip etc...

Maybe I will give it a try if i am more skilled with points.

I want you to excuse you call me a sucker !!!

20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Sounds off in typing, but i actually ment that comment as im a sucker for not going mage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.