Banned from POT, how do you get your stuff at the bank?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If you're banned from someone's POT, how do you get your stuff from the bank?

Whatever that solution is, doesn't this suggest that we don't need town criers to also be a bank?

I think it does! :)

I believe the solution is to let banned players walk into the POT in single player mode. Well why not make a town crier bank only in single player mode?

licemeat and Musaab Osman like this.
  2. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Stuff can be claimed at the next NPC town bank.

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

As far as i'm aware if you are banned from a PoT it is only in multiplayer. You can still enter in single player and claim any items from the Town Crier/Bank.

4. Drocis the Devious

No it can't, that's why they made town criers into hybrid banks too. They THOUGHT they were going to put stuff in the next town, but it was too complicated and too much work.

5. Drocis the Devious

Right, so why not make the town crier/bank hybrid only work in single player from the get go?

Musaab Osman likes this.
  6. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I may be reading this wrong, but are you saying you do not want a bank in your PvP PoT in multi-player? Would this not greatly limit none-residents from entering, when the home owners have complete advantage ... instant safety and storage for looted items in the form of their homes, while outsiders have no such advantage.

cobran and ThurisazSheol like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Sorry, this isn't just about my personal POT. But you're asking a fair question all the same. No, I'm not saying that. I will have a bank in Rats' Nest, but it will be in the center of town.

One of the reasons I don't like the Town Crier Bank hybrid though is because this NPC is put at the start of a town (usually, and in fact the DEVs have said that it's not going to be an option for POT owners anymore, that's where the NPC will go). So what that does to my POT is it cuts off all the risk of going through the town. It makes the travel in the town a lot less meaningful precisely because everyone entering the town can just put stuff in the bank.

It also makes vendor placement less meaningful outside of whatever is directly closest to the bank. All that awesome foot traffic that might have been captured to and from the scene entrance is now lost because people won't have stuff to trade on them.

Lastly, I don't like that POT owners just got a free bank. I paid a lot of money for my Metropolis and I feel like that was a key differentiatetor between small and large towns. If you wanted a bank, you had to use an NPC building slot for it. Now that's not the case and the NPC bank has no real purpose.

So for both PVP and economic reasons, I HATE the town crier/bank hybrid solution. It's really bad and I hope we can find another way to accomplish the same goals.

Musaab Osman likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Maybe what they should do is allow you to TAKE things out of the town crier/bank hybrid, but not put things into it?

That might work.

Curt likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Why create the extra work?

I see no issues with it to be honest......the only alternative is that every PoT is given a static bank. Maybe it could be movable but can't be put in your backpack and only moves at the point of the move itself. For me it's not something i'm going to lose sleep over.

I would also note that if there is a view that something isn't good enough for multi player, it shouldn't be good enough for single player either.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Did'nt know that. Thanks for clarification. In that case I agree it may be a solution to claim stuff in SPO mode in the POT. But does that mean the player will only be banned in MPO mode and still have unlimited access to the POT in SPO?

11. Drocis the Devious

Yes, that's what the devs are saying. I don't like that, I think they should be banned from the town completely (as a poison pill) - but whatever. No one will ever be banned in my POT so I don't really care about that aspect as much.

12. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Wait - What happens if a POT owner that buys a town now connects it through another POT and then gets banned..

Lets say I buy a POT - connect it through Rats nest - then kill Baron Droic Fondorlatos a thousand times and grief his residents and he bans me... How would I get to my own POT?

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

The game really should have the ability to do (paid) bank-to-bank transfers anyway. And some type of overflow system. I think organizing bank space by bank boxes would work.

Rather than depositing your assets at the next town, they should create a central bank where everything goes, like for example, in Brittany.

But town bans should never be permanent IMO anyway.

14. Drocis the Devious

Well, I'm a bad example because I will NEVER ban any player for ANY reason. Even if they kill me 1000 times and grief my residents. In FACT, I'm even offering a pardon to other players that get banned from other POTs and giving them the first month of taxes waived in Rats' Nest if they wish to there.

But your question in general is a great one. I assume the answer is that players get to enter in the banned town via single player online and that's how they get to the other town.

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

"Everyone entering the town can just put stuff in the bank." ???
    Why in the world would I "put stuff in the bank" as soon as I enter a town?
    Is it because it's an open PvP town and I could lose something? Is that why? Is that what this is about?

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Yes. Some people would avoid risk in a PVP town by putting everything of real value in the bank the moment they stepped foot into the town.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Interesting way of putting it, because it sounds like it would be good business for a banker to set up his business in the front of a town, then.

Xandra7 likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Sure. And it would be a great idea to put your bank in the middle of Desolis Epitaph too. Cut out the middle man. Just kill stuff and throw it directly into the bank.

As the POT owner, I think I should have a right to remove the "bank" option on the town crier. Especially if I use an NPC building slot for a bank. But even beyond that I think it's bad for the game to have the town crier also serve as the banker. I think it turns POTs into bank locations and not places to explore and socialize. I think it's a very poor solution to a problem that is technical in nature. There has to be a better way to do this.

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, that's what I thought....
    So, you think the dev's should spend time on this issue (that is only an issue in an open PvP POT) - for the what - the 10% of all current POT's that have declared themselves open PvP?

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

Actually if you read what I said in full you'll see that there are issues for non-pvp POTs as well. But yes, I do think the devs should spend time on this, it completely ruins my POT design. This was not something that was explained or happening when I purchased my POT, it's actually the opposite of what they said would happen. I've also offered several solutions that would not be difficult to implement that would lessen the impact of this.

And while we're at it, let's just remember that if we don't support PVP then we'll have even less than 10% engaging in it. That's kind of why we're in this situation to begin with...because nothing ever gets done for PVP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.