Bard as a valid option for solo play?

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Dysis, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

This post is more of a question, however, it is also feedback about the bards ability to solo. Are bards not supposed to be able to solo? With all skills in the tree 100 to 120, it takes 10 seconds to start a damage song. I was just hoping for confirmation, that bard simply is not intended to be a solo class. No one is going to stand there and take a beating for 10 seconds while trying to start dps as a bard. The only reason I can think of having such a large delay before dps starts, is to prevent anyone from soloing with the bard, and if in a party, your just doing the buffs. If bard is not intended to do any soloing, it makes you wonder why the bard even has dps songs in the first place.

I also want to say great job on the Bard class, as a super party addition. I have a friend that went from always asking me to be healer, to being the bard. This makes me feel like an important party member:)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    FrostII likes this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Just my opinion:

What does a bard do when alone and confronted by bandits?

Put away the lute and draw a sword.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

At the moment till its nerfed, its the most powerful dps class. I can out dps macs fire moon mage aoe build with only 14 mil into the bard tree, and the gear was WAY easier to make too. This will be fixed right away though. With a focus pool of 4500, the big dps bard skill hits up to 10 targets for 5500-8000 per. I was able to solo the zombie room with it and heard of others killing dragons with it.

4. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

Agree with you, makes no sense to stand there for 10 secs getting bashed, however, if there wasnt a delay, you could use the dps songs.

5. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

This is great to hear, and I was thinking it could work in a situation like the zombie room, where attacks are expected, however, my confusion was more for when your in a zone and unexpectedly are in a battle. Pulling out a weapon would make more sense, than get bashed for 10 sec, then start dps.

6. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

I guess I had hoped that Rhythmic Readiness would have reduced the start time more appropriately. Maybe at 160 skill, if it would bring it to +80%, and the delay would be more acceptable, that just seems a bit high to be able to have the dps songs at the ready. Im guessing at 160, you would only have a 4 second delay.

7. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

Woot, I found the answer! A friend just recommend I use chaotic feedback, and it cut the time in half, now at 100 rhythmic readiness, its only 5 seconds to start! If you wanna use bard as solo, I cant recommend chaotic feedback enough. If you are just using the buff songs, you dont take any notable self damage, even using Atonal Aria, however, you do take a bit of damage while using chaotic feedback and concussive cantacle, but its doable.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    StarLord, Numa and Elrond like this.
  8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

what is all of your other skills that affect the bard skills to make it that powerful?

As a regular player I am not hitting those kind of damage numbers. My focus is only 500 so I run out of focus often. Most of my innate skills are in the 80 range (except Taming which is between 100 -120 for each skill). My damage is way way way less like 150 per song.

9. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

I was told just about 10 min ago , that it pulls its power from your focus pool. The larger the pool, the more powerful your songs. I

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Sounds very appropriate that bards will have a strong element of chaos in their makeup. As contrasted with paladins who go for order. A paladin-bard duo sounds like an interesting combo though.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That makes a lot of sense. Good to know. Thank you.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, my reaction is like when people suggest solo archers be viable in every instance. Sometimes you just have to put the bow away and take out a sword. Bards builds AD&D and in Ultima are typically considered a jack-of-all-trades. I think the bard skills are mainly meant to complement other skills.

Although I think its true that the game generally isn't friendly towards RP archetypes, and is something I wish the devs paid more attention to.

13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya, its focus pool dependent, so fustian gear with ashen wands and get that focus% masterwork on those wands.

FrostII and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Canticles damage is based off of your max focus, so if you set yourself with some good Fustian gear you should see much higher numbers

FrostII, Mac2 and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I will post some pics of my tests.

This was base, 122 int no focus gear on. 122 int. https://discordapp.com/channels/236280399112699904/583294119204487178/694489170307055626

This was with unenchanted or masterworked fustian gear on just for focus pool. 122 int https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/583294119204487178/694491352850759750/unknown.png

This was no focus gear on but same focus just done from int, wisdom rings and warlock. 226 int. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/583294119204487178/694491352850759750/unknown.png

Int might have a bit of influence, but definatly not as much as focus does and who knows this could have just been rng as I only did 10 hits of each test.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I actually recall Chris talking about that song and thinking about making it that each stack would increase the focus % cost, so 1 stack would be 10%, 2 stacks would be 20% and so on. Guess that never sticked, but the idea about drawing the damage from the focus pool did!

FrostII and Mac2 like this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

How long til that gets nerfed? Asking for a friend.

Mac2 likes this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yes i think thats how it is suppose to be.

Tomorrow :).

FrostII likes this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yea, but that 5-stack (for numbers like that) took 30 sec to cast & wait 'tho.... So we need to take into account how much dmg can be done by other skills/attacks in the 30 sec it takes to execute that stacked canticle ?
    Needs a bit of a nerf, but @Chris please don't overdo the nerf without consideration for how much dmg can be done in 30 sec by other means... like stacked aoe's, etc.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A Game Designer, a Game Designer, my kingdom for a Game Designer!

Katu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.