Been gone a good long while: Are there alternate controls yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by docdoom77, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Has an alternate camera control scheme been implemented yet? I cannot stand the standard controls. In addition to being completely unnatural and awkward for me, holding the mouse button down constantly really inflames the tendonitis in my wrist (data entry job, ya know?).

Months ago, I requested the ability to toggle switch the camera and mouse controls (hold down the right mouse button to activate the pointer, rather than hold it down to activate the camera).

Is this available yet?

Thanks.

2. ligor

ligor Avatar

You should probably quit your data entry job so you can play more SotA!

I agree though, I'd like to see an option like Elder Scrolls, moving the mouse moves the camera, E uses things that are useable. Can be with or without a reticule.

Or a toggle between modes even.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm sorry about your tendonitis docdoom77. I think I was about to get it from playing Tera. I loved all the action stuff my character was doing but it was stressing my tendons for sure. I do not know that there is something new in regards to help for you. I use the numlock key as much as possible to not hold down the mouse key or 'w' key when I use that. Today is a Dev Hangout at 3:00 pm central time I believe. A good time to throw out your question and let the team comment. If posted on the irc chat which I'm sure you know then it will have visibility if you put *question* in front of it. All stuff you know I'm sure. Best wishes for you docdoom77. :)

4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I can't participate in the Hangout, I'll be at work. Of course, a helpful forum user might ask the question for me. Pretty please? ;)

I've asked about this many times in the past and, if my memory serves, they PLAN some alternate control schemes at some point. I just wish it would be sooner rather than later. A Bethesda style would optimal for me as it feels the most natural, but just the option to invert the camera control would really solve the problem. Much easier to hold it down, when I need the pointer than to hold it down nearly every other moment of the game.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok well pose your question the way you want it and I will put it in the irc chat for you.:)

docdoom77 likes this.
  6. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Thanks!

"When can we expect some alternative control schemes? Specifically, an option to control the camera without having to hold down a mouse button, which can be quite painful to some users. Thanks."

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Did this question get asked? I didn't hear it, but it was distracting trying to keep up with the chat.

docdoom77 likes this.
  8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Probably not. I got back too late. Work was busy.

But I really wish they would address it. Makes the game nigh unplayable for me.

Kara Brae likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok I posted it and no answer that I see unless it was thrown in the irc chat. I am looking. That chat window was going crazy fast. The hangout is a lot of fun, when you get a chance to check it out. So just keep trying since you need what you need to play this game. Good thing about getting your comments in the irc chat even though we think we aren't heard, it is not always the case.

That chat window is moving around like crazy, so I just copied and pasted it into a notepad to review;)

Kara Brae likes this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I recommend that you post your question in the R20 feedback forum. And let's ask again at the next Dev Hangout.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    well it does not hurt to ask here also :). I know the hangouts are fun and some questions get answered, but for the most part they get ignored. Not trying to discourage this, but it does not hurt to have the question asked in 2 different areas. :D

Kara Brae and docdoom77 like this.
  12. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I've been asking for this on the forums, off and on, since Release 1. I know the team doesn't see it as a priority, but by now you would think something could be done. In addition to the pain, I find the controls unbelievably awkward and no matter how much I practice they never feel natural.

As I mentioned, I think Bethesda style would be optimal, but I don't see that happening. I don't know about programming, but I would think that offering an option to toggle what the right mouse button does (invert it) wouldn't be too difficult.

It can be hard, on these forums, to walk the line of asking often enough to get your problems addressed, but not so often that you're spamming and breaking the rules.

Kara Brae and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  13. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Not bad ideas. I haven't played R20 yet, so I'm reluctant to post it in the feedback forum. I'll download this R20 and play a little before posing the question again. Thanks!

Kara Brae likes this.
  14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think its a very valid statement as many people use different controls/binds. Do not worry about asking this ;)

Kara Brae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.