Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

better aiming for fireballs

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by baronandy, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

why not make it like in this vid

for all spells ? aiming for the win ?

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I've noticed that fireballs aren't very accurate at maximum range, or maybe they just don't do damage... I don't know.

The targeting is a bit off, but fireballs in general are much better than they were in previous releases though. It isn't too difficult to use them.

3. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I like the fact that fireball is an arced attack, like it's being lobbed from your hand. Its been pretty accurate for me

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah it is accurate but when there is uneven terrain it is hard to tell if it is near or far or blocked.

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I'd like to see them fix this as its very frustrating, it only adds to the difficulty of running something other than plate.

Isaiah [MGT] and Malchor1 like this.
  6. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I'd say if they want use to use reagents as mages, which cost about 8k for a full set of 50 herbs each, make the spells have real effects and serious damage. This way we arent worried about having to cast 15 fireballs to be effective. Might as well be a ranger doing more damage with a bow or a melee attacker doing way more damage with a sword or bludgeon. They also gain the benefit of heavy armour, which is quite effective against spells as well. Enemies such as liches and skeletal mages stun better than mages, drain health better than mages and have a better range with their spells. Fireballs are just the tip of the iceberg

Isaiah [MGT] and Moonshadow like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I can cast a fireball that can do up to about 80 to 90 points of damage some times. A stack of five fireball glyphs can do that.

One reason I like stacking for spells is that buying more copies of a skill also increases the skill's potency not just how often you can use it. Another reason I like it is that stacking a glyph on top of another like glyph lowers the focus cost of that skill/spell. These are good features of stacking.

Moonshadow likes this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

That just demonstrates how bad magery is at the moment. You have you wait for 5 fireballs to turn up in your deck before you can do serious damage.......a melee character can do this in 1 hit.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Back to the OP. I would say if aiming like this was to be used, it would also have to be used for melee as well.

Due to possible lag, movement controls, card handling........I wouldn't see this kind of aiming viable within the game.

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

the lag involve din PvP and the iffyness of an AoE to hit seem to be the major issues with fireballa t the moment. I'd liek to wait till they fix AoE hits and see where to go for there

EDIT: I feel like being able to keep your current target WHILE ground-targeting with the spell might help alot of issues since AoE damage seems reliant on you actually having a target at the moment

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If they had an auto stack feature for the deck system ... say the DEL key..., then maybe it works out. It would mean more prep time for the mage yes, but mages really should be required to do more preparation and manage their skill. ALthough at the present time it is tedious to stack all of our skills and keep them locked with mindlock. It doesn't leave us much room to do anything else but micromanage our skills.

However if mind lock, permanently freezes your deck until a skill is modified or moved, and also there is an auto stack function of the deck system (del key), then stacking your skills wouldn't be much of a problem. A mage is quite efficient in battle then.

It took me a lot of practice playing a PURE MAGE in PvP but I've finally found a way to be effective. Although it is stressful and I'm always stacking my skills over and over again, but once they are fully stacked I'm really powerful, and my FOCUS goes a long way when the spells are stacked at 3 glyphs or more.

IF we had an auto stack key (that anybody can use... warriors mages anybody) then it would make managing glyphs easier. Some people would rather keep their skills unstacked so they can use it and use it and use it, but I think mages should be forced to stack as long as stacking isn't a continuous mental burden. As a pure mage I feel that we aren't far off from finding a solution that works and doesn't make mages over powered (which is the common theme in games like this).

Although I don't think we should get as much damage potential from stacking weapon skills as opposed to stacking magic skills. Weapon skills already do lots of damage, and they have slugs to deal with that mages might not have. So weapon skills should be powered without stacking... So stacking weapon skills could be useful to lower the focus cost instead of doing more damage, while spells should do more damage and lower focus.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Fireball is useful at this moment, but there should be limitations on it. For example trying to hit a moving target with a fireball isn't what the fireball is designed for. The fireball is really designed for striking groups of opponents in a small area. Also the better you aim the fireball the more damage it inflicts. If a person is halfway in the fireball radius they won't be as hurt if they are dead center. So fireball is good for attacking an unsuspecting opponent or for throwing a fireball in the path of the moving target timing the exact time they move though it (tougher to do as it should be).

I have no problem with the fireball in its current form personally. however I do want to see it aim better when we are in bumpy terrain.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Even with lag the fireball should really only be reliable against targets that aren't moving or are attacking one of your friends... not opponents running toward or away from you.

Moving targets aren't what the fireball is for.

Duke Raas likes this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I get the whole stacking of skills etc but as you already stated, it is a little tedious.

The main problem at the moment boils down to the absolute fact that if you took two characters of say level 30......one in plate with duel wield copper weapons dressed in plate.....the other being a pure mage in cloth.......the Mage is just screwed.

You simply can't do the same kind of damage output as melee as quickly.....as defence, well I can't say anything about that without being offensive.

I'm in the process of leveling up a hit more to give magery another go........my heart tells me to try again, my brain tells me not to bother because there is nothing to test as a Mage at the moment.

Duke Raas likes this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I was really referring to targeting in general.

But you raised a good point....a fireball does medium damage, a 5 stacked does good damage....it takes an age to cast and the enemy has to be still. Does a mage even have a spell that does good damage on a moving target?

16. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Yes indeed. A system like this would be f'in awesome for both mages and archers. Ultima Underworld is similar to this style, kind of, and I would love to see more of that system (1992 game), was groundbreaking at the time for a RPG.

Also for traps in dungeons and those things... it would be so awesome..

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I love the targeting in the video. I do find targeting difficult at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.