Black Powder Guns

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by licemeat, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

You're not familiar with what a Tesla coil is, are you?

Hahahaha... for hunting deer. Love it.

2. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

I personally have nothing against primitive guns. So something like you have to reload after each shoot. A metal barrel with some explosive and a bullet woudn't be difficult to create. the technology should be advanced enough and it woudn't be a problem aswell for an alchemist to create some high explosive.

But it has to be balanced correctly.

For the railgun, this technology is even in prototype state by us. So a big no for it.

3. Robby

Robby Avatar

I think that having guns in the game would be cool BUT!!! Only as long as there in very very limited supply and extremely limited on ammunition. I don't want people going all over the place with guns. Perhaps it could just be some kind of non-functional semi rare that you can put in your house. Maybe they don't do actual damage and work like a fireworks wand..... or maybe.... it could be a unique quest item! As long as its something like a blunderbuss it could fit the setting. If no blunderbuss will be in the game, then cannons will good enough! =P

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

click clack, blat.......blat,blat,blat,bladat,bladat, blat....zap, zap, zap, zap.....click, clack....boom.

5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

If there are guns then we should also get Seqways.

[​IMG]

6. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'm quite familiar with Tesla coils, thanks. Please don't question the intelligence of others on the forum, it's rude and could be deemed trolling. Why would you ask that? Are you trying to imply that they will be used to power microwaves and light bulbs in the game??

I believe Tesla coils are in this game because they invoke a feeling of mysticism in our world, which compliments the fantasy setting in an intriguing way.

In order to keep that feeling, I'm confident their power will be used in ways that continue the same pseudo science - fantasy feeling, with things similar to the 'energy shields'..

7. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

S0 let's see, what we have here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_cannon
    Thats actually very early and woudn't speak against a use in SOTA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus
    The modern one. ;) I personally woudn't go to a more modern fire weapon. But this are the 2 guns i could imagine in the game ownable by players.

They both using matchlocks.

This guns would be balanced very nice with the other weapons, because they aren't more effective as bows or crossbows. They are difficult to use and need a very long reload time. Only usable as defence weapons. And they have a very large recoil.

But i think the Flintlock would possible be to advanced for the game. So no pistols, etc. So only 2 handed firearms.

For the Seqways, well if the tesla can produce electricity aswell, and we have some electric gadgets, it could be possible. I personally would have nothing against a more steampunk (or better more with magic powered) technology.

8. Robby

Robby Avatar

Magictek Armour!!

9. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Man, you take stuff too seriously. :) However, I will play. First off, "having" electricity doesn't mean you can have technology. The Seqway for example would need computer processing. I can see SOTA having light bulbs, but I doubt there will much beyond that. Sure you can add magic, but I am willing to bet anything that uses/generates electricity will be huge since miniaturization shouldn't exist yet .

As for guns, everything you linked to is 15-17th century which marked the end of the "Medieval Ages". Even the Chinese hand cannon, which the earliest artifact discovered was in the 1200, wasn't not able to be produced in any quality until the 1500's and the process of created them was so complex only the government was able to to it. So I guess if Lord British wanted to arm his troops its possible; however, most would still be picked off by the far more accurate and long ranged Longbows and Crossbows.

And, of course, this all assumes that New Britannia actually has all the resources to create gun powder. It is a different world so RG could just as easily snuff guns by not providing the ingredients (sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate) or making them rare to inhibit scientific discovery. If guns do exist I hope the crafting process for gunpowder is extremely frustrating with a chance of insta-death.

licemeat and postulio like this.
  10. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

@Miracle Dragon

"Mysticism"
    "Pseudo science"

Poor Nikola Tesla is turning in his grave

Again, do you even know how they work?

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

@postulio - I think he is talking about how they would be seen by the local populace and the atmosphere they would portray, and not referencing the actual technology. Even his day Telsa was a highly controversial figure, and pop some of that back into more a medieval setting and mysticism might be a good term. Also I think the Telsa Towers in SOTA will be magic based. There was talk about there being some sort of natural power source in the new realm that was harnessed to create them.

I, personally, question the whole use of Telsa in their name since it may not be part of the actual tech, but more a term so that those of our world can relate to their function or appearence.

12. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Well, the Seqway was ment to be more cynical. Having something like this in SOTA would be way to ridiculous.
    For the technology, i personally don't think of electricity in common. More like a vehicle, what is powered by magic. Like a rune or something like this, who do a movement spell on the object. Magic is very powerfull and could be used for many things. Even for vehicles and airships. And with the runes, aswell non mages could use them.
    Yes, LB mentioned Da Vinci, so i post something from him:
    http://www.leonardodavincisinventio...ads/2012/02/Leonardo-da-Vincis-automobile.jpg
    http://thelistcafe.com/images/stori...ardo_da_vinci/da-vinci-spring-powered-car.jpg

There would be indeed a possibility to let them look a bit more fantasy like with some decorations. But the best thing i found for now was indeed from Da Vinci.

That should aswell be the plan. The Guns shouldn't replace Longbows or Crossbows. They should be a third weapon type. And they should be rare aswell. Ok, in a fantasy would you can do a lot of things with such weapons. Eventually also something magical. But this is all a thing of balancing. People should be able to get their guns, but they shoudn't replace the longbow and the crossbow. That was indeed similar to the early times. How mentioned from you, they where rare. And of course they wasn't better as the fast bows and the high distance crossbows.

Yea, how told it has to be balanced. And yes, gunpowder is very explosive. So it woudn't be harmless to produce it. At least not for peoples with a low crafting skill.

13. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

" 'Magic' can be loosely used as a term for 'technology I do not yet understand' " Anything done in our world by computers could be done in a magic using world by little bound elemental spirits or demons, A La Terry Pratchett's Discworld. This means that segways, cameras, phones... all possible if someone works out how to build them. How much of the design in SotA would depend on technology, and how much on magic, would be a case by case basis, but largely irrelevant. If someone runs up and shoots you with a lightning gun, are you seriously going to expect them to stop and explain how it works first?

As for guns, the fact that black powder is easy to make HERE doesn't mean that LB & co have to use it in SotA. In the Chronicles of Amber, different worlds had slightly different physics, chemistry, and other natural laws. You wouldn't notice it just walking through, as all the nasty reactions had worked themselves out eons ago, but when you tried to bring complex devices or substances between worlds, sometimes they just didn't work. Gunpowder was one such substance. On earth it went boom. In Amber it didn't. Oddly, a jewelry polish from a third world became very much like gunpowder on Amber, leading to a sudden military uprising. The rules are in Mr Garriot's hands, and he can arrange for chemistry, alchemy and whatever other things to work any way he wants.

14. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

For the first part, i can only agree and would be aswell something well placed in the robot thread. ;)
    For the second one, well we don't know how the worlds work. And if we now have guns with gunpowder or some crystal powder, isn't so much of a difference for me. ;)

15. Robby

Robby Avatar

Guns, Robots, airplanes, computers... Maybe we could just put this game in the modern setting why not?? Its not ultima after all. Maybe lord british found some magic potion that allowed him to survive into the modern era! :)

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Modern Era! Survey Says? XXX *buzzer* XXX

17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

To clarify, I was not advocating the development of any technology, I was pointing out simple existing concepts in the fantasy fiction setting that would easily allow LB & co to pick and choose features, innovations, inventions, etc as they saw fit.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It is entirely enough for me that RG says no gun powder firearms. He can just as easily say they were just never developed.

Sir Albert likes this.
  19. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

I personally would be for a fantasy/sci-fi/cyberpunk hybrid. Something like Shadowrun or Emergence. :D

For Lord British, how about he awaked into a immortal dragon? ;D

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

No! that always turn into a modern type game! and loses the effect of archaic type play D&D type, But the new Assasins Creed will have it! nd that game does look awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.