Bro, do you even Role Play???

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owain, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You really have no idea what you are talking avout do you? No one knew ultima's before UO? Um...that's just a sad comment. There were 9 single player ultima's. During the 80's and 90's Ultima was a huge name for CRPG's, one could argue RG was the forfather of all the current RPG's we see.

To me they were better games then ultima online.

Ultima Online would never have been made if the single player ones weren't as popular as they were.

2. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

@Owain
    why do you completely ignore the Part where people point at the fakt das Darkstarr requests us to trust them and let them try to introduce a system which does noch seperate PvP'ers and PvE'ers?

So...... Let them try it! And when the system goes into testing, you still can point out that its not good. IF its not good ;)

Archibald Leatherneck and Ned888 like this.
  3. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Ok, so tell me this.

Why aren't you still doing that if it was so wonderful?

4. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Hmmm... here is the thing: There was no risk to PvP in R8 so you had some players who are risk adverse that were willing to PvP in R8. Sure, they enjoyed it. Why wouldn't they? It came with none of the baggage that exists in an established PvP environment. You could have had Full Loot in R8 and I can guarantee a bigger proportion of players would have tolerated it or even enjoyed it than in Episode 1 when they have gear on the line that isn't going to get wiped in two days.

Silent Strider and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

Probably true, but I'm not expecting everyone to like it. I'm expecting everyone who does appreciate full loot as I do to like it, however many that is. If Portalarium thinks that number is large enough to justify including the option, then they should include the option. Everyone else can choose the options they prefer, and everyone is happy, right?

But I'm not talking about a two day pre alpha test, either. Once we get into alpha and beta testing, the servers will be open far longer. If people keep the Full Loot option selected for long periods of time, that will give the devs a better feel for how well players will accept the option after release.

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Problem is, Darkstarr is saying compromise on both sides.

While on one side, compromise changes nothing, and on the other side it ruins the whole idea of fairness. And for christ's sake don't use UO as an example...

EA said the exact same thing you know ? people still play on their servers !!! but the freeshards with old school rules are much more populated and teeming with life...

if they end up with more players than us... then they'll know.

They won't have to wait for us to "vote" on it... and besides I really think there should be an official poll system which is so easy to make its a wonder its not in yet.

No they prefer to laugh at us with some politics and brush off the fact tons of people are arguing the polls aren't worthy cause they're not official.

This isn't like an accusation or anything, I'll say it a hundred times I'll still play and have fun, its just not what I expect from a "spiritual sucessor" or any true indie developpement. Especially after getting such sincere apologies about other issues and "unachievable" kickstarter goals.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

What free shard is teaming with life? How much is teaming? Most only have 100 at max on at any given time, at least the ones I have seen.

Compromise....what are you even talking about? Since the start of the project they have added full open pvp for those that want it...how is that not better then the original? Those not interested in PVP aren't affected by it you are right, but should they "compromise" and allow you to kill them so you can get your thrill on?

Polls are useless, there are a lot of people on here that may be using alts to further their arguement(pathetic I know) so it wouldn't even be real. You will never force anyone in this game to PVP that's it, that's all. Every poll qouted so far has been in the pvp section and they are tiny percentage of the games population as well...not really worth anything for the multiple reasons I posted.

I'm all for giving you an option for full loot if you are willing to not have the equipment system changed to support that playstyle, where everyone runs around naked with cheap items and leaving all your stuff in the bank(that must be an interesting storage system in a bank).

Answer this...how is this a spiritual successor to ultime 5 to 7(which according to one poster no one has ever heard of before UO).

Silent Strider and AndiZ275 like this.
  8. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

WHEN they introduce a poll, it needs to be in game!

All the "pro open pvp and full loot" players forgot the main issue of player controlled content in crowd funding games.
    ~130 000 Backed for a game with no full loot and open pvp system planned. 5000 Diskuss in the forums and 200 participate in a "full loot" poll..

I dont see the "tons of people arguing" here! I see the same ~50 guys arguing on it over and over again. MAYBE you are right and there are tons of people who want it!
    But in this state it looks more like "125k are happy with the game exactly like it is planned to be".

@UO
    Even if there are some servers more crowded than the EA servers, EA still got more subscribers.
    AND it has nothing to do with the state of the game.. There are samurai empire freeshards more crowded than one EA server.
    EA just got to many servers.

Silent Strider likes this.
  9. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Ummm In Por Ylem had 1k reguarly. Again UO is ancient its not that popular to play on free as it once was. Again you are wrong.

Poll - Yep agreed. Only way to see it is a Dev poll where you vote on your Pledge account. I would love to see those results. Would kind of put to bed alot of arguments.

Compromise - Agree. Best I seen so far is you dont lose your equipment but the loot you have gained from that hex.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Awwww snap!

And now you have clarified the point... /agree

11. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I totally agree with the guy with the sexy avatar!

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  12. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not asking to have equipment changed to support full loot. In an unrelated argument, I suggest that player crafted gear be superior to gear dropped in dungeons and by mobs so as not to diminish crafting skills. Crafters should be able to make a variety of gear qualities, from the mundane to the exotic. Depending upon the price and availability, Pvpers will select the gear that best meets their needs.
    False Choice logical fallacy. There is no reason for SotA not to be the spiritual successor to both Ultima 5-7 and UO. I think that during the Kickstarter, it was marketed in exactly that way.

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

1: They have stated they wish to mitigate the cost of PvP.
    2: The method they are using also allows them to normalize the profit from PvP.

Full loot circumvents both 1 and 2.

Is the desire for full loot about profit or imposing expenses on others?

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Neither. In my experience, on average, full loot doesn't cost more. Sometimes you are the looter, sometimes you are the looted. This mitigates both 1 and 2.

Another SotA design goal is to offer players choices. If Full Loot is just one more option among many, then players who select Full Loot accept the differences associated with Full Loot.

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

In your experience maybe. There are many stories, on this forum alone, about people getting to the point where they can venture out of the safe areas in UO only to quickly have everything taken from them. Be it a new player or unskilled their loss is not mitigated.

If we started chanting "I should be able to break into houses and banks" that's just one more option right? Then people would not use the house or bank. Guess it's ok because they clicked accept.

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

If this is an issue for a particular player, they should not select Full Loot. That's why I suggest that it be an option.

For your example to be equivalent, the homeowner would have to select the option as well. If both selected the option, that is their business, isn't it?

If someone wants that, let them start their own thread to suggest it.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The question is WHY would they open themselves to that. Choice? Prey for the established is more like it.

Risk vs Reward? The ability to take from others, if you can, is the reward. The ability to have things taken, if someone can, is the risk. Zero balance when the established know the system and will mitigate the loss min/max. The less established become the prey.

But you know this already.

Unless you think everyone should be in a guild for this so they are fully aware and supported by a team. Guild vs Guild with victory conditions (something already proposed by the devs)

19. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Your average represents the mode? PvP is a pyramid with gear moving towards the top of the pyramid. If the barrier to entry is too high, then the mode average of players will avoid PvP at all costs. This is the crux that is inescapable.

Silent Strider likes this.
  20. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Sure, if you're talking about WoW, SWTOR, etc. The gear grind in those games is ridiculous and prevents lower level players from competing with the upper level, more established, players. Most every PvP player on these forums has advocated that Portalarium NOT follow this path. We want competitive PvP with minimal entry. We don't want to follow the carrot to grind out the next introduced set of gear which subsequently raises the minimum and leads to nothing more than an arms race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.