Bro, do you even Role Play???

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owain, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I Was Evil most of my gaming life ,,, the thing is Evil players are the most honorable . they will kill and take what they need , if they don't need it most of the time its left for the player to recover . ... More often the Good aligned people are the ones that truly are evil ....... Drag a mob on you ... Take everything. needed or not if you die Taunt you after a victory and continue to keep killing you over and over. ..... It was fine and fell with in design but ..... It is a Very Very interesting thing observing from lets say the right perspective .

So If one is Lootable it would still be the choice of the player alive .no matter what method they used to be or stay alive .

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'll be the first to dispute that. Not one PKer I've dealt with directly acted anything near honorably. Where is the honor in attacking those who are in the middle of a fight and already half dead.. from behind? Where is the honor in harassing you and your friends over a minor perceived slight including attempted PKs and exploits for theft? Where is the honor is establishing gates in busy bottlenecks to transport unsuspecting targets into the middle of a bunch of PKers to be ganked when they were just on the way to the bank minding their own business?

I will not make the claim that there is no such thing as an honorable PK.. but to make a blanket statement that the evil characters are more honorable is a load of <fill in your favorite colorful metaphor>.

Silent Strider and Phredicon like this.
  3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    *gathers his skinning tools and prepares the ambush* muhahahahaha

blaquerogue likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

I've seen both. You just may be unlucky.

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Well what you say is some what realistic, but it is all defined in the country you live in, some countries rulers do kill and are never prosecuted or hanged. The world is a very diverse place with diverse rules and cultures. In America yes, you would be arrested, in other countries you might be applauded, its all circumstantial.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Very possibly. I take it on good authority that honorable "evil players" do in fact exist. Actually on the NWN server I DM'd on all the bad guys were fairly respectable folk who rarely if ever crossed the line to my knowledge.. but that was also a very controlled environment. What I've seen in other games haven't been so forgiving.

So I find the claim that 'evil players' are more honorable than 'good players' to be anything but true. There's no doubt enough variety on both sides of that fence. I would simply want to avoid that kind of thinking entirely. Some 'good guys' can be real hot-headed jerks. Some bad guys in RL can be fairly respectable folks. In this regard I try (may not always succeed but I try) to reserve my opinion on a case by case basis.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

To bad all you'll ever get out of me is ransom. Assuming you win. ;)

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the mace. (Army of Darkness reference).

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

It is not the destination, but the journey, and those willing not to sacrifice will not be let into the province of the master!

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You simplified that quite a bit. Every country has their own set of rules they abide by, punishments and belief systems. Even the most inhumane countries still have rules they follow...even if they are sometimes corrupted. Walking up to someone walking down a street and killing him taking all his stuff will result in unpleasentness in most civilized countries....in some countries murder is a death sentance.

What you talk about...rulers...is another story all together. That's nothing to do with the average dude going out to kill someone, it is about an oppressive regime or whatnot.

I have been to a lot of countries....matter of fact I'm been to quite a few in the last little while, africa, greece, asia.....and the majority had just as strict or even more strict rules then the states. Africa wasn't as strict per say...but it could be depending on the day.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

How are we supposed to test our virtues if we are limited by rules in favor of one mindset?

blaquerogue and Owain like this.
  12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

So you are indeed saying there are variances, even if its just a few. I'm not opposed to your thinking, I am just trying to point out the reality of it. You said civilized countries. I would honestly say that the native American Indians where more civil than the people that conquered them. Spain with small pox and in search of gold, the immigrants in America that killed the native population in search of land and the cleansing of heathens. What exactly do you call civil society? What is civil to you? Would you condone this in game, if we where to wipe out the native elf population and take their lands? Or the Satyrs or Fauns? Its all perspective. What some condone, some condemn.

Sweetmcpwnsauce likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How does that question have anything to do with what I said?

But since you asked.. whether you personally agree with the standards set or not.. everyone must be tested by the same standard or the test is meaningless. The game must establish a baseline by which the virtues are measured.

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I agree, now is it measured off of you, or everyone in the game? Is it a solo player game, or a multiplayer game? What base is that standard?

15. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

exactly right, and they have decided no full loot

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Whatever Richard says it is. It's Lord British's system of virtues after all.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

If you want to use that arguement, think how many condoned outlaws and murderers....even native americans didn't allow that back in pre colonization times. Regardless we know that this game is set with a certain standard of expected behaviour for it's citizens...which really make all that you said pretty much moot, since we can assume that it is following some form of law and order...murder and theivery probably do not come under accepted.

Heh, they did decide no full loot didn't they...geez Owain I thought it was their decision.

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I was just using this as an example of how societies can be corrupt in the pursuit of gain, at the sacrifice of others. I realize it is not exactly on topic but I thought it was relevant to my point :) The standard for citizens is kind of a murky area, being that most citizens in countries are indeed just useful idiots, or sheep as they say. They do not realize what freedom is, and they choose to be comforted in the chains of their masters.

rune_74 likes this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Also, I really do not think the full loot/ransom system has been resolved and still is up for debate. Is there an official statement on this?

blaquerogue likes this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

It's pre alpha, and everything is subject to change. We aren't even into the first release of the game, let alone the fifth.

You must be very worried if that's the best you can do...

blaquerogue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.