Build Me A $400 USD Computer That Will Run SotA Without Crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Kabalyero Kidd, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I've been having problems running Shroud of the Avatar in DX11 recently on my almost 8 year old computer. Now, my eldest son will or might lend me $400 to buy a new replacement but I'm not really into building computers.

I'm not sure if $400 is enough for a machine that will run Shroud of the Avatar without crashing but if you can give me some specs within that range then it would be a very, very big help.

Thanks Avatars! :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Buy a motherboard and CPU that can handle 16gigs of ram and buy them... then take all your other components and put them into that...

3. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I am sorry. Unless the Developer Atos keeps his word on R34 release in about 20 days. Then you need a $800 computer for sota.

4. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

$400 is just too little. Man... But I am an Intel man myself.

i7 3370 - $150 USD
    GTX 770 - $70 USD
    EVGA 500w - $40 USD
    Motherboard for the 1150 or 1155 (I don't remember off my head) $50 USD
    Reuse your hard drive and OS... Uhm... That gives you wiggle room and shipping.
    IDK what your ram is but you can find some cheap old ram as well. The motherboard should have 4 slots so even if their 4GB sticks that is 16GB
    Windows 10 is free if you have a Windows 7 key at least.

That is as cheap as I can think that will run SoTA at any decent performance level.

YouTube will show you have to put it together. I forgot a case as well. You can get decent cases for $40 USD that are just fine. It doesn't have to look like a droid from Star Wars

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This is a great challenge you've made @Kabalyero !
    [​IMG]
    One I will be watching to hear it's outcome very closely!

If I were tech minded, I may have been of more assistance than just "Best of Luck My Friend"!
    It's important for everyone who will follow your adventure's trail thereafter!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    talk to some friends you'd be surprised what people have laying around. you can save your self $40+ if someone gives you
    a free case even.

7. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

8. Net

Net Avatar

This. Year or two ago most of my problems (not all) were caused by having "only" 8GB of RAM. Since I upgraded I have experience very few crashes.

I think $400 can run SOTA without crashes easily, (you really need "only" enough free space on your drive, RAM and video RAM), but running it smoothly as well might be even bigger challenge on limited budget. I would say $500 might be safer bet though bigger budget is always better:)

As for RAM I would recommend 2×8GB, so you can upgrade from 16 to 32 GB later.

9. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I can't help but restate it... USE your old hard drive, video card, case, cables and power supply (assuming its strong enough for new MB, CPU, RAM)

Those three key items are your first way to seriously jump your system for low cost... then when you can spare it up your VC then your HD... keeping in mind if you jump your VC you way need a stronger power supply.

10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

For VGA card, do not get anything that is worse than GTX 1060 6GB (not even the 3 GB version).

Kabalyero and Time Lord like this.
  12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Kabalyero - Can you provide us with the specs of your current machine? If we know what you have to start with, might help what to suggest you upgrade. ;)

13. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

I have a friend running on a GTX 770 2g, which is why I said that one, which he paid like $80 bucks for at the time.
    There are noticeable differences between mine and his, but honestly... Not by much.

I'm assuming he is a 1080 monitor.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Chris is getting awesome results on performance already, this might be possible next month!

Right now I've got the best computer I've ever built (investment size, obviously I'll always build the best computer I've ever built) and it still only runs Ardoris at 10fps, so your challenge is a pretty hard one this month.

15. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Oh... Good Idea... See below...

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1050T
    Thuban 45nm Technology

RAM
    8.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (7-7-7-19)

Motherboard
    ASRock N68C-GS FX (CPUSocket)

Graphics
    Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz) (Acer Monitor but detected as Generic)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

Storage
    931GB Seagate ST310005 24AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected

Audio
    VIA HD Audio

PS. Original MB was an MSi 880GMA-E45 but it died a few years ago. Replaced it with the ASRock MB but found out it can only support 8GB of RAM. :(

16. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

You can do it, check new egg, check slick deals, there are good deals all over. My tower that I built for Star Citizen, thinking the beta would be released in 2013, that's how old my tower is and same loading times as reported by everyone, but SotA has never crashed on me.

17. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The thing is there is a wall because of your cpu, you wont get better than what is listed below. Or else you would need to change the cpu, which cost around 200$ by itself or more...
    This will fit with the rest of your component (including cpu):

motherboard 139.99: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130859
    graphic card 77.99: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487216
    memory (2x8gb) 99.20: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K645U6212
    Total cost: 317.18 usd

Just 2 things, be sure your monitor have a hdmi plug entrance, and make sure your power supply is around 550 watts.

Here a power supply incase ur doesnt meet: 89.99 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438053&ignorebbr=1

18. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Ebay is a lot cheaper if he doesn't mind used... :p
    I use eBay even now and I am middle class... Maybe that is the penny pincher in me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.