Bulk smelting

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Nolove 0369, Jun 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

I copied this thread from the Dev + craft forum o see what everyone thought

Currently we have a great system that will allow us to do about any thing we want 20 times in a row. But what were doing is a single action 20 separate times.

What I'm asking, is there a way were we can actually get a bulk system or say a bulk recipes.
    For example
    Smelting: can we place 40 ore, 240 metal scraps, 20 pieces of coal, and a ingot mold on the table with a smelting tool, push the button and smelt 20 ingots all at once.

Main reason I'm asking is Smelting Ore is really a unnecessary time sink, that is extremely boring that us crafters have to endure.

Please let me know what you all think.

Derium, StevieD and Time Lord like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

time to make 20 ingots is not all that intensive, not a bad idea, but is it really necessary? 20 ingots take like less than 2 minutes

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I thought they put some type of bulk crafting in.. though I haven't done crafting for a few releases so don't know.

I think one of the problems with bulk recipes is that it prevents the devs from putting in some interactive elements in crafting, where player interaction during the crafting process could lead to different outcomes... Whether that's as advanced as mini-games or simply events that require player input.

Ultimately, IMO they should move to make crafting a fun part of the game, rather than just a means to put a lot of stuff on a vendor for gold.

Stevvcash, Oba Evesor and Time Lord like this.
  4. Noric

Noric Avatar

If they wanted bulk crafting to be immediate.. there wouldn't be a progress bar.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

UO had bulk smelting. When you failed an attempt to bulk smelt you lost half of your resources. I would think a similar penalty would be needed. Honestly, I don't find smelting all that time consuming, it's the gathering that is the time sink.

I do think the way smelting is setup could be done a bit more efficiently. Maybe they could put in an option to make X quantity of iron bars for example. After hitting the craft button it just cycles through resources until X amount of iron bars are made. However, the quantity of items that can be made should be tied to skill level.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  6. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

You all haven't gathered enough yet then, lol
    Its a actually 3 minuets to smelt 20, but when your looking at 5ooo ore to smelt, ya it takes a while.

Derium, Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  7. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I can honestly say I have never had 5000 ore on hand to smelt, lol. I agree that would take awhile. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:mad:~Carpal Tunnel Overload?~:(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @DarkStarr ? OP/ 5000 ore to smelt...
    ~Time Lord~o_O

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Epiphany and StevieD like this.
  9. Noric

Noric Avatar

Can always use bronze tongs...

Time Lord likes this.
  10. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

By the same request we should have bulk mining, no? It is surely annoying to mine and smelt but the rewards are, in my view, worth it. That is why I skin and sell, hiring crafters to make my fancy swords, axes and armour.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Ya I tried the bronze tool, not worth it, it loses a durability point each time, and spending 200 gold to repair it up to 80 not worth the gold coin, were a prosperity tool does the job just fine, this is were we benefit with the indestructible tools.

5000 ore is actually not that much, when you factor in gold yields 3-4 per node, now if it was 5k in copper ore woot,
    but ill have about 5-6 k ore every few days.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Copying my response to your other thread:

My gut feeling tells me that this wouldn't be a good idea, but I'm looking forward to reading more pro and con arguments.

Questions that arise in my mind:

• Who would really benefit from instantaneous bulk crafting? Organized guilds and rich crafters who can pay for the raw materials and, like you, have 3000-5000 raw materials to process at once?
    • Would crafters lower the price of the gear they sell to take into account the reduced effort?
    • What about the profession of smelters (or millers or butchers or weavers for that matter)? Shouldn't there be folks earning gold for smelting, milling, butchering and weaving? If this job was made so much easier, would these folks be out of work?

Alley Oop and Time Lord like this.
  13. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

After I figured out that you could actually smelt multiple ingots at a time (up to 20), I have found smelting to be completely painless.
    Admitedly I have not had to smelt lots of gold yet, where the numbers are higher.

I just hit the smelt button, switch to a browser, read something for 3 minutes, switch back, and have my ingots. No muss, no fuss. And yes, mining the ore takes much longer.
    Bronze tools are not worth it for smelting, imo. They use durability up too fast. Artisan Smelting Tongs on the other hand, save a good bit of time and money. If you don't have that, its easiest to just buy more normal smelting tongs, I think.

Kara Brae and Time Lord like this.
  14. coyotemoon

coyotemoon Avatar

where does gold ore get 3-4 ore per mine?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Graff Gem mines (north east of novia)

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I don't have an opinion either way, but I have to agree somewhat with the OP

I'm currently smelting over 200 ores (not 5k i know) and it's a real PITA.

I know I can smelt several at a time - however, having done that and lost 20 ores I'm not interested in doing it again - that's so far a 10% loss.

If I continually lose %10, I could theoretically have lost a significant amount of time accumulating the ores and such - not fun IMO.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

For some reason, right now, the tools you put on the table are going down way faster than the tools you harvest with. On the max dura side anyway.

Tables I'm losing 1 point from each side (standard/max) per attempt. So when time to rep comes I'm like 0/1 or 0/4 on dura.
    On the harvesting side when I need to rep my tool its usually something like 0/45.

Crag is the best for Gold and Iron. Hundreds of nodes (90% behind breakable walls). Just next to Etceter.
    Graff is OK but only about 30 nodes total, with half being copper.
    Elysiam is a copy of Graff, but is just gold and silver (no copper), over in The Twins Foothills.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Noric

Noric Avatar

I won't argue that repair is a minor hassle of its own, but if it is really bothering someone to have 3 minute per batch, bronze tongs still make sense.

Time Lord and Oba Evesor like this.
  19. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Totally agree!
    Was just making note that the tool numbers dont feel right either. Adding it to the list of weird numbers. :D

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

when you fail smelting an ingot, you don't lose the ore, just the coal and a bit of mold durability. you just have to try again, which isn't a big deal of you're doing it in batches anyway.

Josh Randall, Kara Brae and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.