Buying Gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JAMorton, Jan 23, 2014.

?

Will being able to buy in game gold with real money break the game ?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2014.
  1. Yes

48.4%
  2. No

35.5%
  3. Don't know

16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAMorton

JAMorton Avatar

I am asking this question as I personally don't think this will break the game. I give as an example EvE Online where you can buy game time for real life cash and sell in the game for Isk, this never broke EvE online and never made it Pay to Win either, the game is still going strong and gaining new subscribers who pay to play. Now I am aware that buying game time is not like buying gold but the end result is the same as it allows the person to obtain in game currency that would usually take longer to obtain.
    Rift uses a similar idea and Wildstar when it release will also use a similar idea to EvE will it break the games ? no because you do not have to spend real life money to obtain the best items from a cash shop.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

This poll makes no sense as long we don't know, if you can get advantages through buying ingame currency.

3. Danirus

Danirus Avatar

The good thing about Eve online is that if you die your ship is destroyed, therefore creating a large gold sync.
    If SotA incorporates this through item decay then it won't be an issue either.
    So I vote no.

4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I agree there are a lot of variables to consider in whether RTM will break the game, but I also don't think that just having RTM will break the game. And my point is that it will exist anyway if you can transfer between players. From what I have seen this is a big market, and really seems to be something a subset of players want. I would rather this be in the open with a safe method to do so then meeting up in dark alleys with gold farmers.

Its kind of the same decision Colorado and Washington made. :)

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

This is impossible to answer at the moment as no one has any idea of how the economy will work.

PrimeRib likes this.
  6. JAMorton

JAMorton Avatar

@Umbrae
    Thank you I agree with your point entirely.

@Sindariya
    The poll makes perfect sense as it is asking a plain and simple question.

I posted this poll in response to a statement made by Bubonic in a thread in Town square/General Discussion as he Plainly states based on something that was suggested that being able to buy Gold will be a game breaker and I was interested in polling the question to see in numerical form who agreed, I do not think it will break the game. I wont buy gold as I want to earn it the old fashioned way, however I have bought a plot of land already as I am lucky to be in a position where I can.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'd like to see the game designed so that neither buying gold, nor infinite grind breaks the game.

Shadow, Fain, docdoom77 and 2 others like this.
  8. Fain

Fain Avatar

I would like it if there was a months cap like Star Citizen will Implement. I don't think buying a limited amount of in game gold is pay to win. Most of us have busy lives and real world responsibilities and would rather throw $5 at the screen then to grind for 15 hours. Pay for convenience =/= pay to win. I think grinding is awful. I've never liked it in the 30 years I've even gaming. It's a chore, it's not fun.

Umbrae likes this.
  9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I voted "I don't know," because we simply don't have enough information. I HATE the idea. I hate the idea of buying anything other than cosmetic upgrades with real money, but will it break the game? It probably would depend on how it was implemented.

Ragnabrock, Tarsilion and Umbrae like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Until we see an "Economy" Mega Post, we can't say one way or the other. Voted Don't Know.

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  11. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I'm pretty astounded that so many people would vote no on this one. You don't need to know anything about the economy to know that paying real money for in game currency has a warping effect. Did not Eve Online make this mistake?

Please SoA I beg thee, do not make me regret the money I have already put forward by becoming a shameless money generator with no class.

Xandra7, Tarsilion and Caliya [ab] like this.
  12. Risick

Risick Avatar

Guild wars 2 has something similar to eve... And thats not broke, I see both sides and I personally like "earning" my wealth, but I also understand others enjoy a certain play style but just dont have the time. I am going to enjoy the game regardless as a simple miner ;)

13. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I think this could work if there was a finite amount of gold in the game. Gold should only be sold if it has been collected by game through taxes, house purchases, etc. If gold is just duped and sold by Port...then well...we all know what happens to a game economy when people dupe gold. I don't think they are completely ignorant and would do that considering they have first hand experience with those results. I would love for Port to buy gold from me at a price(money or store credit) slightly lower than what they are selling for. I would be inclined to sell to them instead of the websites that are bound to exist if I didn't have to go through the hassle.

14. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I would argue that for a currency to fulfill its purpose as a currency (facilitating all sorts of trade), of course there would be advantages.
    Anything that will be sold for gold will be obtainable if the currency is obtainable.

15. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Well - in Ultima Online the 3rd party gold sales went high and low, the economy (and the game) are not in their best stage, but how long did the game survive anyway? Just had the 16th anniversary last year in September. So I doubt, if our game is good and attracts enough people, that gold sales by the maker will destroy the game.

It may turn away some players, that for sure, it will also put a block on the maximum amount, gold farmers will be able to sell gold for - and it gives the team something into the hand in the eye of law, if they want to perform action against gold sellers, since they would be competitors.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

16. Risick

Risick Avatar

Just throwing it out there, hadnt put a lot of thought into this because it just occurred to me, but if a developer sells gold, does that cause there to be less farmers? Because gold usually hovers around a set price per hour that you could accumulate it in game (If youre really good). If thats the case, it makes less since to farm and to just -enjoy- the game. Hope that makes sense, it does in my head but as I am rereading this its a little oddly written :) Thanks.

17. Margard

Margard Avatar

I get where folks are coming from and I respect the decisions of the voters of Colorado and Washington :) ...

but I disagree with selling in game currency; it brings up balance issues to the game economy ... it has the potential to ruin the game for a lot of the gaming populace through inflation ... to satisfy a subset of the populace

I think that there are better ways to help those out that want to utilize real cash to save time ... I want this game to be accessible to all ... I just think that selling gold in house is a bad way of accomplishing this goal

Xandra7 likes this.
  18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Definitely find it interesting that a DEV voted NO.

And if nothing else, this simply exemplifies every other contentious issue. There is no clear YES or NO. The voting splits.

Granted we are talking about a 0.0001 sample size, but none the less.

sgt_pEppEr and Bramagola like this.
  19. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

Personal I have bought gold in other games and it was great. Had my gold did a few things then quit the game. Nothing left to do....

I vote no to buying gold. Want to sell stuff then sell items that are not as good as what people in the game can make but will work great.

20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Since this game does not have a subscription, it doesn't matter to Portalarium if you buy gold, accomplish what you want, and then play another game until Episode 2 comes out. Then wash, rinse, and repeat.
    People who focus on this being an MMO are not seeing the entire picture.

Umbrae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.