Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Camera not playing nice.

Discussion in 'Release 30 Dev+' started by KuBaTRiZeS, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

While playing in over the soulder view (with the camera fully zoomed in, not activating first person view) node gathering causes the camera to be pushed forward into the node. Happened with trees, ore and cotton. Getting closer enough to any obstacle while looking at it (from rocks to slopes) causes the same issue.

Solazur and Time Lord like this.
  2. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

I will happily mention it again.

The new "camera zoom to the right of your toon" thing totally sucks.

I know this doesn't sound nice at all, but i really want to make this clear:
    Whoever had the idea to change the "good R29 camera zoom system" to an "ultra bad camera zoom system" should never ever bring in any ideas on the monday table related to the overall control system.

Now the "v" key to instantly switch to first-person was actually an good idea.
    In case it was the same person who had the idea for the "ultra bad camera zoom system", i will forgive him but i still want the "good R29 camera zoom system" back :p

3. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

+1

At least give us the option to use the R29 camera control/zoom which is far superior to the R30 over-the-shoulder zoom. I'm still scratching my head over why someone decided to "fix" the R29 camera control/zoom since it was working perfectly IMO.

4. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

To illustrate see video below - this has to be a bug...right? (As an added bonus, I can no longer take any self portraits or video of my character with her in the center. PLUS - she picks her nose and rubs it on her shirt?? THAT has to be a bug. LOL)

Description: Camera shenanigans are back!
    Reproduction rate: 100%
    Blocker: No
    Details: The over the shoulder camera angle is quite...nauseating. Motion sickness pills anyone?
    Steps to Reproduce: Run around close to just about anything and make sure you have a barf bag handy :p

In the video, I have the zoom in tight. However, this happens even if the zoom is further out. I zoomed all the way out and it was still happening though not quite as bad.

User Specs:
    CPU: i5 4690kCPU@3.5GHzkCPU
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6900
    SotA.EarlyAccess.QA.Win.64.358.Date.05.20.16
    Area: Anywhere

5. Birne Gilmore

Birne Gilmore Avatar

Well, I love the shoulder cam ... so why not give us an easy "shouldercam on/off" option in the settings? ;)

6. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Yup, by all means... i don't mind an extra cam setting for others.

But in no way they should expect that the majority will like the new shoulder cam we have in R30.
    That's just impossible, most will dislike it!

7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

There's no video in your post Fionwyn... but even without it i know what you're talking about :p
    What i don't like is the transition between the two in the context of the OP, so i think having both in game wouldn't harm.

I think they didn't want the character's head to get in the way of the reticle, that's why they make the camera to transition to an over the shoulder view... i personally don't mind having the aiming line "blocked" by my head when zoomed in... but i'd bet somebody else will. So... Why don't we have both?

Eh... Maybe this thread should be moved to Feedback since it ended having feedback on it? xD

8. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

@KuBaTRiZeS so weird, I see a video embedded. I checked with another account and I saw it as well. I replaced the URL in case it was a problem, but here is the link for Daily Motion, in case anyone would like to get motion sickness :p:

EDIT - Hmm...the video seems embedded...lol. What makes this video worth watching is the nose-picking Easter Egg at the end...lol!

9. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I can't see that one either... It's odd because i can see other embedded videos! in your posts i can only see the space the video should occupy. Probably some flashplayer shenanigans... i'll try to fix it when i can. For now i'm afraid i'm deprived from your multimedia content :(

Womby, Duchess Fionwyn and Time Lord like this.
  10. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

11. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

That one i can see! :D It's even worse of what i thought... i just observed that while moving around but didn't play enough to experience... that. The server fits the theme perfectly although i'd say it has more than the daily motion :p

And more than an easter egg it looks like your character found a gold mine :rolleyes:

Time Lord, Birne and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I'm building a list of bugs for the camera stuff. The collision was changed on it and it is not behaving as well as it was in past releases.

As for making it an option, we can't keep making everything a special version with an option. Making special cases for everything is probably the biggest thing crushing our productivity. People get attached to things one way and then we change it to be something better and people scream bloody murder that we changed something. Perfect example, we've probably wasted a man month of engineer time on maintaining bag mode even though less than 5% of the players use it and those people would probably be fine with the other mode.

Koldar, 4EverLost, Birne and 8 others like this.
  13. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

@Chris I understand the premise of not making everything a special version. But the new camera in R30, with the over the shoulder view, just isn't good for all the things players enjoy doing *outside* of combat. This includes taking self-portraits, making movies where you need your character in the center, heck - even trying to target a friend to wave.

I know you want to improve the combat, especially since the whole *reticle* deal was added, but as far as I'm concerned you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. The camera is *not* just about combat. To ONLY have the camera off to the side -or- to ruin first person by preventing it from zooming just doesn't seem to be the answer when you look at the game overall and how people actually play it.

And with due respect, the camera is used by everyone - not 5% of the players, but 100%. So in this circumstance, giving us the zoom back on first person does not seem to be a waste of time, but something essential for the people you're making the game for, ie, every player.

***Edit for clarity - I am aware you can toggle to first person by using the *V* key. That is not the problem. The problem is *no camera zoom* when in first person.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, that boils my blood. Good to know what the devs think of a feature I consider essential to the game. :p

15. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

You do know that you can switch to first person by pressing V right?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Yes. That is not the issue. My issue is that there is no longer any zoom when in first person. Unless I'm missing something there? Which wouldn't be the first time...LOL!

17. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I am trying to figure out what you are talking about with "Zoom in first person" Im not sure I understand that statement. When you press V youre in first person,and you're seeing from the eyes of your avatar? So...what zoon is missing?

Im not trying to be derogatory i just legitimately dont understand what thats meant to describe so i can better understand the frustration

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

When you are in the over the shoulder 3rd person view, you can use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom the camera closer or further away. You cannot do the same in first person view - the camera is locked.

You cannot turn the camera to take a self portrait. You cannot zoom out if you're trying to make a movie.

I see this as a huge problem for anything outside of combat.

Leelu, KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  19. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Hey, going bag mode was my idea! Just pointing out that we've gotten into the habit of never removing old features and just making it an option. The result is slower development, far more bugs, and a more confusing new user experience.

This is one of the few negative aspects of effectively being live during development. In non-public development we would just kill features and not worry about it. With the game being visible every month, people get used to features, bad or good, and expect it to be there next month. When it isn't, player's riot and demand we bring it back as an option.

What we need is one good version, not two half baked versions. There are serious bugs in the current system, some due to code and some due to some animation rework that moved the root position for the player off to the side. We're fixing those issues now and hope to have them in tonight's QA build.

Wilfred, Jynx, 4EverLost and 9 others like this.
  20. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I hate to say this, but I've got to..
    Another way to to look at this might be if so much time wasn't spent building stuff people want to disable, there would more development time to build things people actually want.
    Perfect Example, 2 months spent building Reticle targeting (assuming "secret stuff" from March 18th stand up corners was Recticle targeting) that no one was asking for, then spent another month with an unknown number of developers trying to turn it into something that could be used at all. And after that the fist question asked is still.. How can I disable it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.