Can We Make Beds Relevant?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Black Tortoise, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Id like my Avatar to have more reasons to utilize the house. One idea I had, inspired by the R56 livestream discussion on masterworked furniture, is to make a small buff for laying in a bed. Id like this buff to last a full Novian day at minimum.

I was thinking the buff would be sort of like food, except I play a cook, so Id rather not infringe on the food market. Either that or maybe make some other balances so Avatars can stack their "rest" buff with their food buffs. Or, if imbalance is an issue, then make the buff very minor.

An Avatar can get a low level version of this buff for sleeping in any random bed of a town or inn that isnt theirs. For those that dont own a bed, maybe they can give the innkeeper NPC a coin and can use any bed in that inn once time for the complete buff.

If the Avatar is a tenant / guest / co owner / owner of a property, then they get the full benefits of the "bed buff". Masterworked crafted beds give the best buff.

Thoughts?

2. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

No.

No.

Elwyn likes this.
  3. oplek

oplek Avatar

It has bothered me that my house/lot doesn't have a lot of use. I claim a lot, put some decorations down... look at it, and am like "cool". And then "welp, this is costing me taxes to just be here", and take it down a few days later.

I'm not opposed to sort of a bed buff. (Edit: though I'd extend it to any bed)

Edit 2: Maybe the bonuses could be based on consistency. I'm more likely to get a good night's sleep if I'm sleeping in a familiar bed than a strange one. So you could build that consistency in your own house, or in an NPC building.

Witcheypoo and Black Tortoise like this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Why?

5. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Makes owning a home and returning to it after a day of adventure worthwhile, and I like that. Also would fill all those empty inns, if I want a bed in a different region than my home. Makes the offer "you can stay here for the night" more than just a hardcore RP thing. I would be happy to have that. Make the use of a bedroll in the wild also an option, even if the buff should be minimal then.

Generally, though, more than a buff for sleeping (same with food), I would enjoy a debuff if a toon hasn't slept or eaten in a while.

Witcheypoo and Black Tortoise like this.
  6. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I own property (a shop and an inn) because:
    - I have containers to store all my stuff (one chest for each category of crafting materials, one for clothing, one for deco and stretch rewards, one for misc stuff).
    - I have vendors that sell my crafted wares.
    - I have rooms (in my inn) that I put up other players that don't have a home, or a place to store their stuff.
    - I have room (in my shop) to lay out many of the items I make (deco) so customers can see the items before they buy (think a Pier One store).
    - I really like building and dressing houses (I did level design for an MMO company for 3 years, and it really was fun / relaxing).

Having a buff for "sleeping in a bed" would be a nice value add, but owning property already has its own benefits.

Elwyn likes this.
  7. jutman

jutman Avatar

Perhaps a learning level buff, but not as much as the obsidian potion buff gives

Witcheypoo likes this.
  8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I agree, this has been brought up before. I would have preferred to see sleep give you buff of some sort. In some games that is how they use to boost XP is based on how many houses you were asleep in a bed or inn.

There are many items in the game that would be cool if they did more either for the house or for the player.

9. Kelanor

Kelanor Avatar

How about this, based on some other games "rested exp".

You click on bed, you lay down on it, a prompt comes up "would you like to exit the game" if you click yes you get logged out. When you log back in you get an exp buff for a few hours of gameplay. (I wouldn't make it more than a few hours though to promote the concept of BREAKS, yes I'm looking at you my fellow gamers that don't take breaks. Save your eyes, take breaks.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.