Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Can you change the salvage altogether?

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Waxillium, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That worked great until the new "dragging a stack only drags one item as though you have the ctrl key down" bug.

Duke Raas likes this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yeah, that "drag only one bug" is pretty much the top of my hit list ever since it appeared a couple of releases ago.

Not sure what the others are doing either...

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

What I have been doing is semi-complicated.

Basically, to start, drag tool and rusty, hit salvage, then Take All.

The first time, the tool and scrap will both be selected, so select the next rusty and then ctrl-click the tool, drag over and repeat.

After this, Take All will only select the tool, because the scrap is going into a stack. So ctrl-click the next rusty, drag, and salvage again. Repeat this for the rest of the rusties.

There are only three types of scrap right now, so at most you will have to work around that three times. Or you could just keep one of each on you at the start... kind of easy now with the drag-one bug!

4. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

In certain situations, at least for me, the whole stack drags. Like pulling items (Cotton, Wood, Scraps, Creosote, Ectoplasmic Residue, everything?) to/from inventory/bank and on/off the crafting tables. I have had other situations, can't remember specifics, where only one drags and it is a pain, but you can (shift or) ctrl-click multiple items, one of which is the stack and it will grab the whole stack if you have multiple items.

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The issue is only applicable if you happen to be standing on a lot where you have decorating permissions. If you are using a public crafting station then the whole stack drags properly.

That may explain the discrepancy. :)

Rampage202 likes this.
  6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Limited to salvaging, I always have the entire scrap stack(s) selected and draggable at once, once the item is salvaged.

I should try with a station at home, where I have decorating rights, if something actually changes.

In other scenarios (like inventory > container, or inventory > trade window, or buy <> sell dialog), the behavior is extremely inconsistent, regarding the dragging of entire stacks.

7. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Kvow, Raas, shift+click+drag the stack of whatever. Its basic windows controls. SHIFT will allow you to select multiple items either in your inv OR off the table. CTRL will allow you to select multiples in your inv that ARENT right next to each other. Muck like you would in Notepad or Office.

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

So what I think I've learned is that the "take one" bug only happens on property where you can place stuff?

I'm going to guess that was done so you can drag items out of your inventory to place them in the world without dragging a whole stack, which would probably be a pain in the ass. What if that was changed so that the "drag one by default" only happened with items that can be dragged onto property? (which is mostly Housing category items, and certainly not Crafting category items)

Actually, it might even be better if dragging a stack of placeable items behaved such that it let you place one item, and then all but one of the stack went back where it came from?

9. Mazirian

Mazirian Avatar

Don´t think is a good idea to allow mass salvage, or mass anything. A single click to mass mine a mountain? nah Single click to mass kill all monster? no way.

10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

You are referring to the List Inventory Mode system I gather ? Yes, I am fully aware of the multi-selection tools available in list windows.

However, I don't happen to play "Spreadsheet of the Avatar". ;)

Yes, sounds reasonable under the current implementation.

However, I am hoping that sometime in the future every type of object can eventually be used as a house decoration in some manner or other, which would render that approach moot.

Again, I presume the devs are aware of how confusing/broken the current drag controls are acting, and have intention to correct them at some point in the future.

Hopefully, sooner rather than later. :)

Oba Evesor likes this.
  11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Yeah, well I was able to confirm that the issue was indeed being inside or outside the property line. I tried to sell things on my vendor from just inside and just outside the line, and the drags behave differently. Maybe I should try to move my crafting stations and storage chest around so that I will be standing just outside the line while using them.

Or maybe have ctrl-drag invert the all-or-one status so that ctrl-drag on property drags whole stacks.

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Just had the proof.

Yes, if you have kindred/trustee rights where the station is, the default behavior of multi-drag changes.

If you do NOT have rights, you drag'n'drop an entire stack without modifiers.

If you DO have rights, you drag'n'drop a single item, as if pressing CTRL.

*AAAARRGH!*

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

*sigh*

Glad to see we are all on the same page now (after all, it has been broken in this manner for several releases now). :)

14. Abraxas

Abraxas Avatar

I'm still not sure what the advantage is in having a one-at-a-time crafting setup, I hope it's just a technical problem on the dev side of things.
    I think it takes away from the flow of game play. When I work on real world wood projects I can line up and cut multiple boards at a time. The more pieces I work with simultaneously the greater the advantage, not less. Same with any hands on craft skill. Set up your measurements, make jigs, measure again and then start mass producing identical pieces. Why would I want to spend tons of time clicking and dragging? I think they should go so far as to offer a salvage all button even though you run the risk of salvaging that one sword you were holding on to. There should be no consequence or time delay to this either. A real world project would save you time by doing more at once and you don't run much risk in quality loss.
    I don't think you should even have to drag the hammer over to the table. If you have one on you that should be good enough.

15. Curt

Curt Avatar

Add two more fields to the crafting stations
    one where you place your tool(s)
    and one where end result ends up

have salvage button check: exists a tool and can the first item in the input be salvaged
    if so salvage it and place result in output and if first item in input can be salvaged light up salvage button again.

Katrina Bekers and Kvow Triumvir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.