Can you set up chests so only a tenant can access it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ErikRulez, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I've seen discussions about difficulties for new players not having access to houses and I think if I were just starting out, at a bare minimum, having access to a chest or two near a crafting site would work.

The question I have, is can you set up chests/not rooms, such that only a tenant access it? If so, you could set up a series of chests and either rent them for a small fee or give access to them for free. This would allow a large number of players to be accommodated in a smaller plot of land. If they were near a crafting area, it would go a long way to helping beginning players get on their feet and perhaps build up to getting their own land/house.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

EDIT my info was old and this issue fixed, see info below.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes, there is a workaround if you do it right but it requires trust.

Several people are doing this.

What the tenant can do is place the container themself and then set it as "Private".
    When they do the "Private" setting will protect it from other tenants with the same permission level. While the "tenant" setting will sort of protect it from the owner.

The problem being that depending on settings and permissions the owner can access the content inside the container even though the owner cannot take the container itself. That means you need some trust visavi the owner.

However, this requires that it is precisely set up in that way and tested in that way. Any small mistake and either then tenants can steal from eachother, or the owner can take the whole container.

So test test and test again.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Numa likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmm well I cannot open my tenants chests. I like that I cannot but this is on a room. I set status on lot stone for player guest/tenant. I had not tried it on the crafting pavilion that has no doors to set the second permission that is on the room door to tenant/manager. I will test it too.

I agree with spoon it needs to be tested out. The permission system needs another pass. Darkstarr mentioned it one day hmmm perhaps a reminder;) @DarkStarr

Sentinel2, Spoon and Numa like this.
  4. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

If someone set a chest with tenant permission, doesn't matter if there is a door of not, none can open it except the tenant who placed it. The owner can just send the tenant's items to tenant's bank.

Spoon, Numa and majoria70 like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thank you. I was hoping that was the case.

Dhanas likes this.
  6. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

confirmed that if a person is setup as Tenant, not just kindred then any item they place cannot be moved or picked up. For the longest time I was using kindred for people and just adding them to a room door for access. using Tenant is more secure for them. Mind you one thing I like about using kindred and not tenant is if they don't pay the rent I can lock them out, and if they still don't pay then you could take that value in stuff.

With tenant though you could still lock the front door on them which is usually enough to deter :)

Cheers.

Spoon likes this.
  7. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

You might still want to "Kindred" your tenants, which will allow them to use your on-site Mailbox (if you have one placed), your on-site Vendor (if you have one place, with permissions set to allow Kindred people to use the vendor) and your Practice Dummy (if you have one placed).

Spoon likes this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

A very good suggestion. We have a residents lot for planting, CF Vendor etc but that was all set up before renting tenant status came in so we are re-evaluating what is best for the residents to enjoy the town.

9. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Would be cool if the owner could place the chest for tenant use, but any tenant using the chest only sees what they put into it. The item count could be a per-user basis, so multiple people won’t actually fill it “faster” because each has their own item count in the container.

To my knowledge this wouldn’t effect lag. It could function like an alternative bank.

10. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I set people up as kindred and tennant. If they are sharing a room, I place a trunk on the floor for them to trade in and out of, and they manage the door permissions to keep others out.

Like I have stated, it’s for doing in room temporary trades between room tennants. I should not need to go into the box, but the mindset is if I did, nothing would be in it.

11. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Ok, ive tried everything I could think of perhaps someone here is more creative.
    The Situation:
    I have a city lot in Iron Gate, I have a LOT of black marble pavers
    I have a trusted friend (Trustee) with acess to the property and he has a room in which he is a tennent. IRL he is a landscaper
    I want him to be able to take the pavers and place them (along with some other exterior decos) on the grounds around my Barons house
    The only way he can do it right now is if I give ownership of the pavers to him.

The ask:
    I want to retain ownership but want him to be able to place this stuff...how the bloody blue blazes does one set up the permissions?
    Ive tried every combo I can think of so any help at all is appreciated. (note I have read though the thread but dont see anytthing that seems to help in this kind of situation)

Also on the same vein, I also have a second lot next to my city lot with a green house, he can get into the house but cannnot plant or harvest in the planting beds in there....Im thinking its the same kind of permissions thing Im having with the pavers and trees etc.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Tenant status is probably what is messing you up. Our permission system could use an overhaul. If this person is trusted then that is up to you what permission you give them but tenant status is too restrictive imo for what you are trying to do here.

Numa and Sentinel2 like this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why on earth would you take their stuff? I hope you make the contract with your tenants clear Before they move in... Do they know they're putting their possessions at risk, and are renting from a landlord that assumes they have a lien on the renter's property in the case of non-payment of rent?

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You can't do this currently. You'd have to set the permission of the pavers to Trustee and let him move them.
    However if he has permission to Move them, he also has permission to Take them.

If you don't trust your landscaper, don't make them a Trustee.

This is why I've proposed a major overhaul of the Permissions System.

StrangerDiamond and MagiK like this.
  15. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I trust him, I just want to retain ownership :)
    He is rather elderly and us old folk can kick off at any time...not to be morbid or anything.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

He can't own the deed or lot if you do not transfer and give it to him. Setting permissions never takes ownership. That permission level is up to you.

17. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

No, Im trying to let him place the pavers and trees and yard ornaments without transfering ownership of the items to him.

He can pick them up out of our dump chest, and place them, but they they show as belonging to him.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thats because you have him on tenant access. Whoever places in tenant status it will show that. Thats what Im saying. You might want to take him off of tenant status and go from there.

MagiK likes this.
  19. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Thank you...that is something for us to try, will let you know

majoria70 likes this.
  20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@MagiK

If you want someone to deco but you want to own the deco items afterwards then
    • Temporarily remove tenant status
    • Temporarily increase their permission level to one step above what they would normally have.
    • Ask that they place it all with the new permission level set as default.
    • Give them the deco stuff and let them deco
    • When finished demote back down the permission and add back tenant.
    This since tenant status means they any deco they place will be theirs.

Numa and MagiK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.