Card System? huh? I'm confused

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Danirus, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danirus

Danirus Avatar

I don't understand the logic of a randomised card system in a fast paced RPG.
    Is this going to be a 3D Magic: The Gathering game?

They said in a video that if you put more fireball spells in your deck you have a better chance of using a fireball spell in combat.

I really want Shroud of the Avatar to be an awsome game, just like UO was back in the day, but I don't want to see a turn based strategy card game in an mmorpg, I simply can't see how it would work.

As a chef by trade I never pick up a desert spoon to carve a roast just because there are more spoons in the kitchen.

PS. sorry for the new thread about this, I failed to notice the 'How the Deck system should work' thread :(

my bad

2. smack

smack Avatar

3. Danirus

Danirus Avatar

4. smack

smack Avatar

You should also read this thread on deck management skills to mitigate some of the randomness.

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I also think it's going to be a skill differentiator for those of us who are able to adapt to pressing something other than 123 123 123 123 I WON! I'm personally stoked to see this role out and I really hope they do it right so there isn't enough backlash to remove it.

Phredicon and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. Danirus

Danirus Avatar

I just replied to the thread mentioned above about a concern I have.

If a player is already engaged in PVE and a PKer comes along, how could they possibly defend themself if they can't swich decks on-the-fly to counter the attack?

I think PKers are going to have a field day if the devs don't get this right :p

7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

We will get more information about the system when we get closer to its appearance in RE4. You are not the only ones to have concerns as you can see from the other threads. However, I disagree that this is a fast paced RPG. RPGs are slow and usually have turn-based, strategic combat. Since this is billed as the Ultimate RPG and not the Ultima Action RPG, I do not expect combat to be a twitch-fest and am hoping that is not so.

I want combat that lasts more than a few seconds, requires some strategy and is interesting to watch. Turn-based is not really suited for an online RPG (although I think its possible), but I think the Deck system will be something unique that sits in the middle. However, it is really going to depend on how they implement the UI.

8. smack

smack Avatar

Well, for one, PvP is consensual. In any case, there have been suggestions to Chris that instead of waiting a few seconds, that they can switch decks immediately but at the cost of other things, such as focus penalty. Waiting a few seconds between decks is currently just their idea, it's not yet set in stone. So think of other creative alternatives to balance immediate deck switching.

9. Danirus

Danirus Avatar

After reading more into this card system, the devs said if the system doesn't work they will resort to other methods.

So here is my proposal.. (If it does fail)

How about we use our spells and abilities as normal (like regular mmos) but use additional cards as a form of tactical solutions in combat.
    For example these cards can be found and traded amongst other players, like a trading card game, these cards are unique as in they are not based upon trainable skills, abilities or spells.
    Once the card is played it is removed from the game.

This way you could find basic cards like fireball which can be cast by anyone at any time without spending mana but only cause minor damage, to more powerful and rare cards which require reagents to use such as summon fire elemental. The opposing player could then play a dispell card to couteract and destroy the elemental instantly.

Not trying to change any mechanics, this is just an option open for debate.

10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well this isn't a collectable card game. The Devs really don't like the card term at all and tried to use the term Runes, but card have stuck in the community. In reality the cards are just visual representations of skills and spells. You collect these by advancing your character. Also you will be able to attack as normal. The "cards" will just be how you use your skills and spells in combat. You can combine cards like combos to increase power or to have different effects.

I understand where you are going though, and - remove the collectable piece - it may end up working similar to that in the original design. We really don't have much to go on yet. I really think it will be better than people think; its how the UI is handled that will be the biggest issue.

3devious and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

After seeing what they have going, I really don't think that SoTA will be "Fast Paced" by modern standards, a card system (any card system) should be quite adequate.

Lord Baldrith and Phredicon like this.
  12. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I believe this is key, AND intentional on the dev's part, but we shall see.

BillRoy [ab] and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Do you think it will be more tactical? Idiots like me might be in trouble!:oops:

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  14. Ara

Ara Avatar

They could have made it like old UO that didnt use 123 and i won, it was deep tactic and timing instead (magic system). Took a long time to master UO magic combat system since it was a system that demanded practice. Old UOalso had all skills available at all time, a huge difference. And all skills were on your keyboard so that you as a player didnt need to follow onscreen what the game decided you to use as next skill.

I have a hard time understanding anything that could make this combat system even remotely interesting.

15. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

It is good that harvesting won't be random or I could take a tree down with a sword instead of an axe :confused:

As I understand it, you will have a few you can lock in, these will be available till you use them with cooldown & the rest appear random & last for a few seconds or something, Guess we'll see it in March. Yea, we see1 '6 month' video on combat & the community went through the roof in complaints, so they turned it off because they know we have no patience to see it in it's infancy so we wait.....

16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You are not an idiot, friend.;)

And a card system will be like playing "Slap Jack" (a game everyone loves) a half hour after you've downed a bottle of NyQuil (a beverage everyone loves), no tactics, just moderately paced fun.
    There won't be "twitch" style fast combat. You've already sampled the basic character movement so you know what to expect, it won't be much more complicated than that.

I'm really, really looking foreward to what will be an awesome card-combat based system that anyone can handle.:D

Caliya likes this.
  17. marthos

marthos Avatar

If I remember right, the old UO combat system was simply "Corp Por" "Corp Por" "Corp Por" and OoooOOoooOOOO

NRaas likes this.
  18. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

This is really going to level the playing field, making even my feeble and inept attempts to PvP and PK pay off. bigtime.

Big Time...

Tarsilion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.