Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Chat Improvements

Discussion in 'Release 3 Feedback' started by Sindariya, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I have 2 wishes for the Chat.

1) Filter for Emotes
    It would be great if we could filter out the emotes.

2) Townname/Instance displayed
    Sometimes I don't know where I am anymore, so if the town name could be displayed right to the tabs it would be great.

2. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Anyone else feel like local captures too much?

I think i would prefer if there were another filter for people that were within earshot.
    Sometimes I don't want to hear everyone in the instance but do want to hear people nearby..
    I feel like local as it is now is like a mini global which i find ruins immersion for me.

A separate filter for speech between what's in your proximity and what's in the hex would be nice.

Golem Dragon, Saosis, Hazard and 7 others like this.
  3. Ser Alain

Ser Alain Avatar

I think that eventually local will be earshot range.

4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I think they need to do a lot with the chats, but I don't know what exactly.

5. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

/loc in the chat tells you which town you are in.

6. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I copied this from my thread about the chat settings bugs.

"Recommendation: Have a self setting to show or hide your own messages. Also we should just keep NPC messages to/from players in a separate channel that way local chat isn't spammed with players talking to NPCs or saying things like buy, bank, sell. This way we can talk to NPCs in a logged manner but still able to chat with others in a separate tab."

In addition to this we should be able to create as many chat tabs as we want one for local, guilds, party, friends, groups, and whispers between you and one other person being examples of what each tab could be used for. Also just typing the emote should automatically perform it they could do it as a command. Also have options to hear the entire instance or just people with in our current camera view.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Yes, a filter for emotes is needed since these used heavily in the crowd drop the normal chat out of existence before you can even read it..
    More for the wishlist:
    - filter for people on the friends list, for Devs/Admins/System (which may only be an always selected one for a separate tab)
    - instead of "local" something more wording for the current zone, in which your character just is (is it a town, is it a market place?)
    - more optional tabs
    - color options for text according to the source (to distinguish easier in the text wall)
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Link_of_Hyrule and Jivalax Azon like this.
  8. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem here is that Player and NPC alike cannot actually be "selected" per sé. So when I say something the system has no idea if I'm talking to the NPC, or the player next to me. Seems that is a fundamental mechanic which needs to be added.

Jivalax Azon, Kaisa and docdoom77 like this.
  9. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Sure, that is another part of the same story - had often enough NPCs answering to my verbal output, which was not intended for them.
    But on the other side I bet, a filter to make NPCs ignore you would cause a bunch of support calls if people suddenly cannot communicate with NPCs during their quests and totally forgot about that setting.
    So it's business as usual - what ever you do, is wrong ;-)
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

10. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I think you can select either players or NPC to target your conversation (although the NPC targeting does not work indoors now).

I agree that player conversation directed at NPCs (or even a specific player other than yourself) should be differentiated (and filterable) from talk directed at the local area or to you.

11. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

I jumped in expecting to be able to douple click on fellow player and have that open up a new tab with a private chat....and was floored when clicking on a fellow player didn't do anything at all.

And for the love of all that is decent and good, they need to tweak and size down the balloon text font (including player name).

12. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I agree with this. And it would be nice if from the friends list (that should also have highlighting for online/offline) you could double click the name and get a private chat window. However, we were told that the "local" chat in R3 would basically be just global. I expect it to get a lot better.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Hear hear!

14. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Yes, maybe fine for helping test multi-player in R3 (and some later tests), but I really don't like the fact that all conversations and emotive actions are megaphoned across a sizable distance.

Edit: Don't mind global as much if you can choose what is input.

15. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

The selecting does work in doors it just doesn't highlight them. When you double click a player or an NPC it shows a blue ring under them to show they are selected the blue ring doesn't show up inside but they are still selected even though it doesn't show up for whatever reason.

16. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Yes the chat distance is pretty ridiculous at the moment, hopefully that's just because they are trying to get as many possible interaction as they can going or something. But if I'm in the Firelotus Tavern I don't think I should really be able to overhear someones conversation with the guard on the bridge.

I don't know how I feel about private channels, for a game that strives so much to maintain immersion it seems to break it. Though there's nothing stopping people from working around it with other programs so I guess they may as well add it in. Something to be said for wandering around town looking for your buddy though :)

17. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I think you should only hear people within hearing distance but because it's a game there should always be friend, party, and guild chat it makes it a lot more difficult to play with people when you can't talk to them in this case I think functionality trumps immersion.

Kirthag likes this.
  18. Bayridge

Bayridge Avatar

Couple suggestions for chat (which may be repeats of above):

1.One thing I noticed in whisper mode was the color of the font for both players were blue. It would be quite nice if each user was different colors so you could distinguish quickly which line conversation belonged to who.
    2. Hopefully in future you can ignore emotes that are being done (not sure if there was an option for this, but didn't get it to work)
    3. Lastly, I like the suggestions above of double clicking a friend online and bringing up a tab of whisper with them + not hearing so many in local chat. I am sure there will be improvement though that being said.

Thanks

Kirthag likes this.
  19. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I very much want this as well, it was capturing far too much in R3.

Kirthag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.