Chat not very Chatty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uhtred Bebbanburg, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uhtred Bebbanburg

Uhtred Bebbanburg Avatar

What gives? I am still in the beginner zones, bridge outskirts. I see people all the time, but no body says anything in chat or responds to mine. Is Zone chat turned off in that zone? Is this a usual thing within high populated areas?

Sentinel2 likes this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

I don't know that many people have zone chat enabled. I know it took me quite awhile to realize it existed.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  3. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Try /u Universal or /t Trade chats

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Try /w and put their name in. Or /l for local chat. I doubt many ppl starting off have /z enabled. Probably should be enabled at default from the start tho

Witcheypoo likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also not all players in early stages know to customized their chat windows. I actually have 4 chat windows dragged out and resized. One for universe chat, one for the trade window, one for whispers, zone chats, or local chats. The last window shows combat info etc. Just un- click what you don't want to show in each window.

Truly I bet players don't see your chats if they have one very noisy all purpose chat window. Most Players just don't know to organize it so they dont miss communications. Some may want to ignore but from my years of experience here most just miss it. I'm Majoria in game. Whisper me anytime. I accept all friends requests as well.

Adam Crow likes this.
  6. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Do you have an Universal chat Orb? UNI chat is always lively imo.

From memory don't you have to buy an Univers chat orb from the crown store? Or maybe its quest reward?

7. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

You purchase the Universal Broadcast Orb from the Webstore for $2.
    The $2 cost was to deter spammers from the Universal chat channel. (I believe you 'may' get it included, when you do the Monthly subscription to the Rewards Program also...)

To purchase the Orb, Login at top right of the store page, buy it & it will appear in your ingame Rewards chest at the top right of your game screen.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Jaesun like this.
  8. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

I got my chat orb when I subbed recently.

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

As an aside, the orbs really should be obtainable in-game.
    • They should be tradable. I have a second account where I don't account universal chat, so I ought to be able to give/sell it.
    • It should be an outskirts quest. If the goal is to establish some barrier to spammers, that should be enough to weed out 99% of them. I can't imagine a spammer is going to want to do the same quests over and over to be able to get the chance.

10. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's a solid suggestion!

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  11. 7thRankedNoob

7thRankedNoob Avatar

Catnip should completely get rid of the Orb . "It"s there to curb spamming" - we all see the population. How many people do you expect to flood chat lately?

Hampering a new user's ability to chat with the people IN your game ... it may be the most asinine thing in the game.

I received my orb at some point because they were giving them away after the fact for whatever reason. ... If they hadn't given it away, there is NO way I would have given them 2 bucks for it out of precedent ... "Really!!! Yer gonna charge me to chat!!!!" Its almost insulting.

12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Exactly. Let new people chat! They need help this game is so hard to start in omg let them talk! @Chris

13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I get that argument. But let new players earn it by at least completing a quest. There's enough ppl to make it annoying with spam adds if they were freely available by making a new account. The population argument isn't great because just a couple people can annoy the whole population pretty easily.

14. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I wish the Chat window was persistent while waiting for zones to load. Would eliminate some of the downtime in the game - instead of staring at a loading screen you could be interacting with your guildmates, etc via the chat interface

Alley Oop, Jason_M and kaeshiva like this.
  15. Uhtred Bebbanburg

Uhtred Bebbanburg Avatar

I just subbed. dont think it hit yet. Ill try and close the application and relog

16. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Makes sense. Lets allow everyone to use it.

As far as spammers going. Isn't there a report player option?

Or even better. I have a few on my blocked list who just wouldn't shut up. No more whining or anything. Problem solved :D

17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

this has an unfortunate tendency to expand. i have at least one player on my block list who i otherwise like, but who keeps engaging people i have blocked in conversation, because i want both sides of said conversation gone.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

If you make it so that all new accounts can chat instantly, people will simply create free accounts to bypass bans, blocks, or to spam with impunity on throwaway accounts. I think having an orb makes sense in that context, but agree with @Adam Crow 's suggestion that there should be an in-game way to achieve said orb during the time when players need it most - the early stages. There has to be a way to separate the legitimate, earnest new inquisitive player from the undesirable element. There's been many iterations of suggestions for this over the years, long before we had a universal chat. I think settling on the orb is a reasonable compromise, but not a perfect solution since new folks may not be willing to make a financial investment in the game until they've played it a while and figured it out. Some sort of early quest to open communication channels does seem a good alternative, especially if it operates in tandem to the early starter quests that the new player would naturally progress anyway.

Jaesun and Adam Crow like this.
  19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think a big part of this is the chat window itself.
    It might be an idea to have a default chat tab setup for fresh accounts, instead of everything dumping into one window.
    Some sort of sensible configuration:
    Tab 1 - Local Chat, Whispers
    Tab 2 - Zone Chat and Global Channels
    Tab 3 - Everything else. Words of power, combat log, system messages, npc barks/chatter, etc.
    If not on Tab 1, make tab 1 button light up or change color if there are new messages on it.

Make it more clear that these tabs are customizable - the UI could use some improvement in that regard.

Jaesun, Adam Crow and that_shawn_guy like this.
  20. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I wonder if we could get something in the UI that notifies of unread whispers or something - like hey; you might want to open the chat window, etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.