Check Public Vendor listings at bank - important for new players

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Vladamir Begemot, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Playing as a (new experimental) self imposed new player with no outside help, I've found that the Public Vendors are of vital importance to me.

Unfortunately, the interface that tracks Player Vendor listings at the bank doesn't also track Public Vendor listings.

Considering that PV listings are timed, and then destroyed, this is a pretty big deal for new players who are trying to get their feet under them.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes please.
    I have seen more than half a dozen would be crafters quit because of not knowing when something expires in a public vendor and showing up too late and have all their hard work go poof.

3. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Alternatively, just send the items back to the bank instead of destroying them. I can't fathom why they are destroyed to begin with! Having to pay the listing fee and not selling the item is punishment enough.

I stopped playing for a couple months when I had listed some items on the Owls Head vendor as a noob and they were destroyed because I couldn't log in on that 7th day.

Elwyn, Xandra7, Armitage_ and 4 others like this.
  4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ouch, @DarkStarr ^^ look at that! We don't like people quitting due to something like that.

majoria70 and Armitage_ like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes.

My old suggestion was to have "insurance".
    If you add a cost to having them go to Bank instead of being destroyed - then it becomes an active choice on the player's part and could easily be included in price thinking etc.

Where my old conceptual idea was to have such a 'send to bank insurance' as a fixed sum, like 300g up front.

This since the stated reason to have the destruction is to remove 'junk' that is being put up on the vendors and make it so that you only put up things you actually think will sell. It is also so that you couldn't overflow your bank by putting up a lot of stuff and then letting them fall back to bank.
    With a fixed fee up front neither undesirable behavior would be encouraged, while at the same time it would still save the really expensive luxury items.

Now since the risk is a player choice it then doesn't become as rage inducing since it is not the game doing it against the player, but rather the player chosing whether or not to take that risk.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

Public vendors really need some urgent work. These are vitally important for new players.

These public vendors are currently extremely underutilized. This needs to change so that new players have a better initial experience.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Please stop items being destroyed. Maybe we could add a system similar to the price of the oracle, where the expired items get moved to another area, where players can either pay to get them back if they wish or just let them expire. I also like the idea of the insurance system mentioned above. However, all these options create a negative experience for players. The best option would be to just return the items to players bank. As someone said above, throwing away the vendor listing fee is already a big enough cost.
    2. Allow players to reduce their listing price, without having to remove the item and pay the listing fee again. Most of the time players do not know the value of items and will need to adjust their pricing. This should not incur an additional cost unless the price of the item is increased, whereby the listing fee would also need to increase.
    I know of a few ex-players who left the game due to the frustrations of not being able to sell their items, and the related micromanagement required in order to not have their items deleted. This really is a critical issue that needs to be resolved in order to provide a good new player experience. Having your valuable items deleted because you could not get online in time to remove the listings, is enough for some people to rage quit. The ex-players that I know that left, for this reason, saw this as a pay-to-win aspect of the game, and to be honest I can absolutely see their point of view about commission free vendors.

Please change how these public vendors work ASAP and make them friendly for new players!

7. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

The public vendor should be taking his fees if the item is sold, out of the sales price of the item...not before. If an item isn't sold, it should be mailed back to the seller, not destroyed.

rpgmaniac82 likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Wait, WHAT?

Astirian likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

There's a cog in the upper right of the bank window. Enjoy!

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Garrghhh i have been playing under a stone as it seems!
    Thanks!

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think they were concerned that players might somehow use a vendor as extra storage. That might have been a valid concern in the early days before it was easy to have house storage, but it is still a false worry because you are either paying a lot of money to list the item (causing wealth to be destroyed in exchange), or you list it for too little and risk someone buying it. And if you are using a player vendor, you can probably get much better storage in other ways.

I also think that 10% is too high, but that is a different matter. And it would be best to wait until a few months after release to even review it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.