Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Chosing your Paths . . . . .

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Weins201, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well that didn't take long. :)

3. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Basically choose two of any of the three options (truth, love, courage) and thats the path you're on. Hopefully this is expanded on a bit before release. Add additional scenarios and have it so the amount of time you chose something affects primary, secondary and tertiary skills and the order they are picked in will have different effects as well. Throw in a few meaningless ones and stir and then it won't be so straight forward.

I might also suggest if the process is lengthened to add clickable words for each question. People are really only making a decision and not having a conversation at this point.

4. Olik Halvdan

Olik Halvdan Avatar

I'd rather see the process removed entirely. I would much prefer to just choose my vocation rather than have it chosen for me based on random answers. I also find it odd that truth a.k.a honor is bound to mages.

fantalio, Manerd, Scraps and 9 others like this.
  5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Seems straight forward enough. The first two of any one principle, and that's what you get.

6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I'd rather my alignment be chosen by the current opener rather than my choice of occupation.

Because if I chose truthfully, I'd end up a mage ....when I wanted to be an archer. So, I ended up lying on the questions:rolleyes: a bad thing that is?o_O

7. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

+1!

blaquerogue likes this.
  8. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

It truly sucks to have so many points permanently removed from your character build ... for no reason at all.

I don't want fire, so why do I have nearly a hundred points tied up in it when I start my character, which can never be untrained.

Ill thought out.

9. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Believe it's because it's free points that are free - not something you earned yet so even though it's there, it's not something you used up in the real sense. Even if it feels like that. And it's not like having it affects your ability to earn more points for what you want, does it?

So, since they're giving it to you for free, they get to decide where it gets used up. Whereas any skills/points you chose, is something you earned so you get to have a say in where it goes. I like to think of it a gift they're giving me. It's free and I can chose to use it or not. If I wanted something else, it would be convenient to be able to take it back to the store to exchange but I'd guess since it's free it'd be bad of me to complain about it - much.:p

10. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

Tell the soft cap those points are "free."

I don't want them and they limit my choices, as I understand it. If there isn't a soft skill cap, then I stand corrected. As I understand it, there is.

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

You mean, that the points I have in my heal skills makes it impossible to raise my fire arrow skills when I get close to cap? I thought they kind of worked independently of each other in their leveling abilities?:eek:

12. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

Then perhaps I misunderstand. My understanding is that we may not train all skills, practically, because of the soft cap. If I am mistaken, then fine. If I am not mistaken, then I believe you are mistaken.

In other words, I think* those hundred or so trains I did not choose will ultimately limit other choices I would like to make.

So, am I confused? Or is this how it works?

13. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I don't know? I am equally confused now. Maybe some enlightened being can come around and enlighten us?

Any around?:)

14. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Won't they eventually be untrained if you set them to untrain? Then you essentially get those points back

15. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

That's the thing: No.

*as I understand the mechanics. You're stuck with these choices, that were made for you ... cookie cutter style. Hope my information was bad though. because I really don't like it.

16. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

Having chosen not to pay attention to the game/forums too much since last release (I like surprises and I want things to be new sometimes..), I can honestly say the "Choosing a Path" system is completely deceiving. I had no idea that the answers to the questions were going to determine which skills I had at my disposal when starting the game. If there were more explanation about this up front in the game I wouldn't mind the concept so much.

mithra likes this.
  17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

What are you talking about a "Soft Cap" There is NO such thing stop drinking the coolaid.

The points you are given as a result of your chosen paths are there, they are a boost if you use those skills / trees, if not just lock them they do NOT hinder your training at all.

And untrained skills WILL eventually lower very VERY slowly over time. VERY slowly.

You are given 10,000 exp point in a pool which you can use to train up ANY skills you want once you start making some gold.

There are numerous starter quests that give you exp and gold there are players in my guild who even while out training have obtained over 100,000 exp points and are well on their way. They have also chosen to use skills NOT given in the beginning, Poole arms instead of swords , I myself have chosen to be a Bludgeon, Heavy Armor, Death, Fire, Sun, Paladin and am doing just fine.

If you want help look for me in game I will happily work with you.

18. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

It doesnt matter which skills or how many points are used in your starting template
    Those skills are free, and come with no strings attached
    It will not affect your ability to train or raise other skills

You may train all skills up above 100+ if you like

There really is no cap, at least not in any terms that it is being discussed so far in this thread
    Even if i was able to start the game with the entire "Blades" tree filled to 100+ each, it will not affect my ability to start learning magery, or bludgeoning, etc

The points spent in your starting template will not impact your ability to learn new skills, it will impose no cap, no penalty, nor any negative effect upon you

If you feel that your starting template is not quite right for you, just lock those skills (assuming you dont wish to raise them) and begin training the skills you do wish to raise - the only thing you are missing is the head-start that the starting templates give
    Nothing has been "used" up, you simply have been given for free, some starting skills

The only hard cap i know of, is you cannot raise any skill above 150
    The only soft cap, is that once you get to 90, it takes a crap-ton of xp to raise (i think it was Chris who gave the example of going from 90-100, is roughly the same xp as going from 1-90)

There is no limit to how many skills you may raise - but trying to raise too many at the same time will be difficult, but only because dividing your earned xp by 30 skills is going to take longher than dividing it by 7-10 skills

Please forgive the rambling nature, and possible repetitions in this post, i wanted to try and make it clear as many ways as possible

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  19. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

Thanks for the information then. There's a lot of sketchy information out there, and I obviously read some of it. That said ...

I don't really like that any better. In fact, I like it less. I'd much prefer that everyone could not do everything. I want limitations. I want to have to make choices.

I just don't want them made for me.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  20. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

You will be happy to know there are limits then. ;) It's been said somewhere (can't remember where) that it's not going to be possible to do everything you want in that sense so you'll have to make choices. Thus far, I've yet to hear anyone proving them wrong. :D

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.