Cloak collision?! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saladid, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

I feel this is beyond the bug forum at this point. its been known about forever. It is so damn ugly and so unprofessional for a now "finished" game with such a glaring ugly vision issue. ** like wearing a suit to a formal event and having your button down completely un-tucked and not ironed**. PLEASE! fix Cloaks going through other clothing, OR clothing poking through cloaks. Its just plain bad. looks horrible, and over all just unprofessional. I would be embarrassed to sit fellow friends and or game companies, and show them this as a piece of my portfolio ESPECIALLY if i was the model or animation designer.

Now me personally i am not a programmer or fluent in any programming language but something this visually noticeable has got to be on someones mind?!

Please someone just let me know that this is on a list to be fixed... its been 4 years!

Thanks

MUCH LOVE!

2. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

You don't tuck your cloak into your underwear irl?

And here I thought it was normal procedure all this time.. dang

3. Saladid

Saladid Avatar

i only tuck my cloak in to my pants if i had to use do to lack of TP in an outhouse. LIFEHACKS,

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

• Cloth simulation in Unity apparently sucks.
    • Instead of looking for a better solution (or developing one), the SotA team just applies cludges; like offsetting the item from your avatar, which makes it look bad in a different way and doesn't really fix the clipping issue anyway.
    • I've seen amazingly good cloth simulation in Unity (see the Adam videos), so I don't understand why better cloth simulation can't be done in SotA.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    amarious, Daedwax, Chatele and 4 others like this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

similar issue with mage robe.. I thought I was gonna look like UO Pvper in 3D. Instead, I look like angelina jolie.

Mishras, Chatele, Tiki Pirate and 4 others like this.
  6. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

He he he it worked fine in the 3 month pre-alpha that was demonstrated to us. Looked amazing even and worked perfectly. What we have now though, even the whole "real cloth simulation" doesn't look natural so gets switched off. Not to even mention the cloak going through other layers

7. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

If you haven't tried it yet, the worn cloak and common cloak both do a good job of avoiding this issue.

8. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

First of all, nice to see you back playing! thought you left and sold all.

About cloaks, this is nothing to do with designers, animators or 3d modelers. The cloak system use physics, a physics system in Unity has several issues, not working how it should performance wise.

It looks bad, yes, but its not an issue related with Portalarium development skills, it comes from engine tools. They will find a fix in the future but this is not a priority.

There is always a reason behind any decision. For this, performance ;)

Better looking solution not always gives better results. Basically, better simulations = lower fps.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Daedwax, Kain Darkmoor and Jaesun like this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am confused. Are you saying that the company selling the engine hopes you don't notice the cloak/clothing issue before you purchase a contract? If the cloak collision has been an issue for 4+ years and it has not been solved, then there has got to be a pretty serious reason for it (considering competitive pressures in this market). I can see where the issue may not be at the top of the list for Port, but it has to be pretty high up there for Unity. Perhaps we don't really know the source of this problem and who is responsible for the fix?

Daedwax likes this.
  10. Rada Torment

Nobody said they don't know about it. Chris already explained this in one of the streamings and told us why they are not "improving" this to get a better results.

If they increase the frames in the simulation we get a better visual result, but you lose performance. And right now their priority it's the opposite. They could fix or improve the simulation? yes, but the solution right now is not good for this specific project.

We could find games made with Unity with better physics, but please note that every project is different and have diverse priorities.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Daedwax, Jaesun and Aldo like this.
  11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I don’t think this is a cloth issue but more of an issue with what’s under the cloth - and not being able to account for every combination without additional tech.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

One of the biggest problems is that they just use one set of offsets for cloak items that will largely keep it off of the most protruding armor, so it looks ok with say plate armor but it looks completely stupid with cloth or leather. They could use different sets of offsets for different types of wearables, and that wouldn't incur any performance penalty, but it would require someone to sit down and figure it all out.

Another cludge they like to use is to make part of the garment stiff. Also looks bad.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll bet there's some combination of setup, preprocessing and in game processing that will produce much better results and not incur much, if any, additional penalty.

14. Rada Torment

They can always try to adjust some settings but they nonetheless have a high CPU overhead (performance hit). And this is something that can't be discussed.

Everything cost time and resources. So if you have this knowledge in your hands, you can't, or should not, take the decision to make the cloak simulations better. Nothing that hits performance should be added/improve until you reach your optimization goals. I love good physics too like you all, but I think this can be solved later :)

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

True. It just looks bad and that reflects on the game in public opinion.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ironically I was about to write a post about how much better the cloaks look this month.

The diaper is gone, thank the maker.

But in doing it they made it pooch out at the butt on female models, which is very noticeable (goofy) if you see them from the side.

So yeah, it looks like they need at least 2 sets of offsets, one for skin tight clothing and one for bulky clothing.

But at least the diaper is gone! (they snuck this in too, I didn't see it in the release notes.)

17. oplek

oplek Avatar

I wonder if they could compromise - your own avatar gets the higher calculations, but the avatars shown don't. You're going to be looking at you, most of the time.

18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Compromise is the soul of mediocrity.

19. oplek

oplek Avatar

It's also the practical reality of having things work.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.