Combat Bar Question

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Sir Frank, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I haven't gotten in and messed with combat at all, so this might be an obvious question.

Are the runes/glyphs/tiles weighted in any way?
    For example, as your health decreases, the probability of your heal spell popping up increases?

Or, if you have a sword in your hand, blade skills come up more often?

Or, is it just random?

Thanks in advance!

2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I think, as of now, it's just plain random. It would be cool to have some different factors affect it though.

3. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

It would be AWESOME if there were a weighting system, allowing some degree of control over what was coming up. When running, when ranged, when melee, when poisoned/burning/chilled/cursed, when enemy close to death...

We could build much much LARGER decks, with contingency cards that were likely to come when called, but not guaranteed, and develop dynamic strategies based on the uncertain hope of our special answers coming up.

That would get me energized about the random glyph system like no amount of platitudes of "what a warrior can and cannot do in a real fight" ever could.

4. StaticGrazer

StaticGrazer Avatar

As of today your deck is the deck and it doesn't matter too much what you're wearing (save for slugs). I like to think the deck system works like any card game, where you have to manage your cards in such a way that you create your own luck.

5. Ravel

Ravel Avatar

Which probably requires some skill and strategic planning, but I feel a system that would be less random and would favor skill more would be preferable to a system that forces to glue your eyes to the skill bar. In other words, I would prefer a system in which not all skills are available all the time, but in which you can rely on when certain skills will be available (without causing a huge disadvantage).

Grumpy and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Its a good question about how healing spells will be accessible at the right times. It remains to be seen what the final solution will be. For a melee, it is random right now, based on the make up of the deck. It kinda adds to seat the pants experience and tactical thinking a little if you see a random heal glyph, maybe don't quite need it, but then don't know if you will get it again later and have to decide to use it or not while you know you can. That may add to solo combat fun. For a healer, it just seems like it could be a problem unless healing life spells are fixed using the focus tree.

7. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

A system as you describe that is a little 'less' random and favors skill 'more' is exactly what I'm hoping for. I don't have to have 'everything' available all the time, but some things shouldn't have to be a slot machine pull.

slothy likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

How about another Focus skill, called Luck of the Draw or Just In Time or something, where you can increase your chances of being dealt the right glyph at the right time? If you want more control, it will come at some skill point cost, which is exactly what the Focus skill line was designed for.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  9. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

You can place your Heal spell and a cpl of bottles of Focus-Heal into your non-Combat Bar... Get the quickness going and tap the "Z" key in and out of Combat get your heal and the like and get back into Combat... myself only tried it with the Heal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.