Combat is fun

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Isaiah, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Thanks. I didn't want to bring over the other stuff into the regular forums because I didn't want to bring up negativity. If somebody has solid good feedback let it come from their own heads not because somebody else brought it up. I still think there is some tweaking to do based upon my previous statements, but I'm not just enjoying it, I'm having a blast. This is much further along then I expected, and I know they have lots of skills to add, and some tweaking ahead.

Things are definitely going to change when the innate skills for air come in, and the chaos magic skill tree gets added. Who knows what that will do.

The PvP on the island territory is really fun. I can just imagine what the subterfuge skill tree will be like in a place like that. People will be creeping around trees, and sneaking through water. You can somewhat without it. Maybe the hide skill just makes you look like part of the plant or rock or some other bush that blends in. It may not need to totally hide the person, but make them more chameleon-like.

Dean Valentine, jiirc and Mishri like this.
  2. charock

charock Avatar

PVPVPVPVPVPVPVP

WoWoWoW

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  3. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

I think the lack of focus or regaining focus is a problem especially for pure mages

I dont want to sound too negative thou the last 3 days were great fun I like the card system Im only wishing for more possibilities to place hotkeys (mouse scroll and the 2 additionnal buttons for example) and maybe just maybe the option to edit your interface mostly cards placement and hp bar.

The card system is easy and yet challenging to master and offer countless options already with the few skills available great work!

Espada likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

We haven't seen all the focus skills yet. With the ones we did have I found that we could make the cards cost less focus, and also increase our maximum focus by 25% if we wanted.

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

No worries, we have several solutions for the lack of focus for casters that we'll be trying out. Two most likely options are going to be increasing focus regen rate over all and then adding a penalty for wearing heavier armor. We'll then keep the combat glyphs at a lower focus cost. Also, we'll be experimenting with wands/staves as focus items that regen focus when held. Lots of other little options we'll be trying out as well. Look forward to my dev plus posts on combat to see what we're trying and give us feedback!

6. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

wow! the next 23 days are going to be veeeeery loooong :p no hurry thou but that comment made me really impatient

smack and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  7. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

yesss I really liked those as well :)

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  8. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Fully support this.

Want to vote also for adding more mousekeys to assign in the control panel. I' am using a logitech G500 and would love to use all available mouse keys. Usually I solely use the mouse for movement (forward, backward, run, walk and jump).

Isaiah [MGT] and Lord Spaz like this.
  9. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

I dont think this is necessary, you can assign buttons in your mouse options, I could set up all my 14 buttons in ultima online you just need to change what the buttons represent in your mouse menu

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  10. Exodus2

Exodus2 Avatar

I use the Razer Naga with its 12 buttons. Worked splendidly.

Soleidad, Lord Spaz and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I could use my mouse keys to select cards that were dealt. I have a G600. The number keys are the default, and the alternate keys are cont+1, cont+2, and so on.

However I still found that selecting the glyphs with the mouse pointer was more efficient, since I could maneuver with my left hand.

Slayer Exodus and Lord Spaz like this.
  12. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

I was playing a pure mage (Direnna) this weekend. Focus was only a problem on Friday when I was still trying to keep some Blades in my deck. Once I ditched it (and invested the points in the +25% focus and -10% cost skills) there were no issues at all. I don't recall a single instance of going OOF after adding the Focus points.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

I would like to say tho, the options for multiple decks doesn't work well.

We need to be able to tie active skills to the decks instead of equipment (or maybe in addition)

Like, we need to be able to switch our skill allocation when we switch decks, or we have to go in and switch everything over to mage build, or fighter build, or healer by hand which is time consuming.

14. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Dohh... sometimes the solution is too simple. Installed the logitech sw now. Thanks for the hint :).

Lord Spaz likes this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Exactly. Also I think they made a change to mana regeneration too, because on Thursday we had to exit combat mode to regenerate health and focus. However by Saturday my focus was regenerating faster without exiting combat mode.

16. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

try fighting someone in heavy armour who can heal himself well, you will run low on focus unless you get a series of high damaging spells of to kill him off quickly but that requires the correct cards and not too much interruption like being cced or taking heavy damage thats needs to be healed. This was also the case in uo but you had the ability to regain your mana quickly thats missing here once you are out of focus its a real struggle to get it back you either use only your weapon but the damage output is easily healed to be a real threat (unless they are low on hp and maybe focus too of course) or you sheath your weapon and run away till you have enough focus to make a serious move again.

I like the idea about heavy armour costing more focus maybe reduce fizzle and/or slugs in that case

Espada likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Isn't that basically an instant respec? It's been a long time since they've mentioned anything about that, except you'd have to do this through a trainer of some sort iirc.

But for testing purposes, yes totally agree. I think for the time being that would be great to have so we can prepare a bunch of deck builds and test them on the fly during combat.

18. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Agreed but in some cases I feel like it still wasnt enough

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well are we going to be able to remove points in the real game too ? Or they'll be permanent ? If we are, what's the difference between doing it manually and doing it quickly ? You can't do it during combat for example...

Are there going to be trainers ? Can we re-train if we made mistakes ? I hope so...

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  20. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

I agree on this also, I must admit that I havnt looked this up yet and I dont quite understand how its going to look in the end. Id really dont want instant respec like mentioned above or lets say have diffrent decks for every possible scenario for example having a deck to go dragon farming another one to go goblin farming etc, I think it would kill build diversity

Espada and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.