Combat Pets & Taming / Taming Collars!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Miracle Dragon, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I like the ideas presented here for Dragons non-tamable but the can be asked to assist in some way (not all the time).

+1

Haz and Miracle Dragon like this.
  2. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

I am really enjoying it as it is right now. The pet I have is just strong enough. But not so strong that I don't have to be aware of what is happening and occasionally heal it. Yes if too many get on it, my pet will die and I run the same risk(and have) as well. But, it is a risk I take if I don't pay attention and over extend myself and my pet. The only thing I wish is that maybe depending on where I am hunting I could maybe store and have more than one pet. Say pull one pet out for one situation and another out for another setting. A small stable if you will. Not too many pets mind you just 2 or 3.

3. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

They are planning for dragons to be enormous. Would dragons be scaled down as pets? Because everyone seemed to be totally against scaling any pets down. Especially bears..lol. So...would you then have an enormous, full-sized dragon following you around? I don't see how that would work. Aside from that, dragons in my mind are too smart to let themselves become a human's pet. It would trivialize their significance. I could see having drakes in the game and having them as tameables though.

4. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I'm enjoying pets as they are as well. That said, I wish they weren't so slow. Oftentimes, my pet is so far behind me that it's out of sight, getting into trouble when I want to be going to a specific area, and it's annoying to have to stand still and wait, or worse, double back and finish a fight I didn't want to start in the first place.

It would be really cool to see pets leveling. Once those taming skills are maxed out, there's nowhere for it to go, skill wise, but I assume something like that will happen as well as a lot of other cool stuff that I haven't even thought of :D

5. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Beastmaster tamed animals and kept a few in his pouch.. pirates tame parrots and monkeys and keep them perched on their shoulders.. It would be nice to see some variety in smaller pets like these, that may not be standard combat pets, but more of the clever, sneak around, unlock doors and steal money/keys/food variety.

margaritte likes this.
  6. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I'm am a huge fan of pets. Can't tell you how much of a bummer it was in other games that I got non combat pets for a collectors editions. I knew they where just tagalongs but it reminded me of UO days gone by ... they looked cool but never enhanced my game fun ... this system shows some promis I hope a good amount of time is set aside to do pets justice ....

7. Nevets

Nevets Avatar

Pets should be bound to its own whistle.. That way you and a number of them and even trade them.

Something also needs to be done with elemental pets since the tamed pets even mages don't both summoning an elemental.

Either make elemental not decay like tamed or allow both elemental a and tamed to be out at the same time on different timers.

majoria70 likes this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi All! Well I have a pet now, well a tamed pet that is. ;) I was gifted a taming whistle and collar by my friend Nevets who tanked for me while I tamed. Up until that moment I did not know enough about the process to comment on it. So I stood back. So really for a first iteration of taming Portalarium has done a terrific job. I like that the pets are tougher than I thought they would be. I love the size of the pets and the look of the pets. Im sure later many more things will come into play regarding the pets, things like not being able to walk through them or have them walk through the player, pets sounds and perhaps other animations which are terrific. I think the team did a great job with them. Perhaps they are helpful for new players. I would bet they would be, but probably someone would need to help to aquire the pet and taming supplies.

Usually in games I don't have pets unless I play a character like a Shaman or druid, but it was terrific to try out and I do like that the pets can really help in combat. I hope this stays a valid way for players to play who love having the pet. I can see mages using them to help keep the battle away from themselves, even a small bird who flies in the eyes of the enemy, or perhaps a tamed swarm of bees. As with everything I'm sure the pets will have strategy in using them later, perhaps like a well versed tamer who has put the work into taming and mastered the skill would be able to handle his pets better and get them to do things a less masterful tamer would not be able to do. This training hopefully will be another example of details put in the game to learn how to master taming, not just by using the whistle and taming collar but by being bitten by creatures, attacked by creatures, etc to know how to handle them. Perhaps some creatures a tamer wouldn't understand as well since they had not worked with this type of creature yet and so there is a bit of fear in handling them until their habits and traits are learned. Ok so just off the top of my head from having tried out taming. It is fantastic so far in what we have. **cheers**

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Congratulations!!!

I know the feeling of taming your first pet. I am glad we have a chance to relive that feeling here.

Did you say Druid? If so, why are you not living in Dara Brae??!? ;)

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.