Combat Stance

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Damazz, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damazz

Damazz Avatar

I should definitely begin by saying I have not involved myself with the development process of SoTA mostly because I have a lot of faith in the Devs and LB to put out a solid and enjoyable game. Yet while we are in pre-alpha I wanted to address something I feel like has been overlooked, if it has not please correct me.
    Just for a bit of background I've spent years training in western martial arts and because of my experiences I find it rather annoying when characters wield all the weapons in the same hamfisted manner. Specifically when I logged on today and much to my joy the cutlass was conveniently placed in my bag.

After walking around a bit in town I ventured into a cave to try out the combat system, I sadly missed release 5 and wanted to see how it has progressed. I really want to play a Swashbuckling pirate character and from my experiences with cutlass and rapier watching the attack animations just felt so wrong. In my own opinion when someone wields a light blade they should be light on their feet and ready to move at the blink of an eye. Anyone with some kind of fencing experiences know that there is a huge difference in how you fight with long swords and cutlass'.

It may sound like nitpicking but I think SoTA has a chance to correct the age old RPG problem of generalizing weapon uses. If I am wielding a two-handed axe I feel like the character should be adopting a stance that compensates for the weight of the weapon and the necessary balance of swinging. While at the same time if I use a dagger I would love to see daggers in the murder/ice pick grip instead of the usual blade up thrust.

Lained and Browncoat Jayson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.