Computer Desk And Monitor suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Lord Andernut, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Looking for recommendations for a sweet computer monitor and recommended Desk.

We moved to a new house a few weeks ago, still unpacking but my gaming used to take place in our livingroom. I had a 40” tv (purchased originally because it had qualities ideal for a computer monitor as well) that I had used which doubled as our livingroom tv - gaming happened after kids and wife went to sleep for the most part!

Now our new house we have an office/computer room that I’ll be sharing with my wife in terms of space.

My old 40” being in the livingroom Id roll up a chair, keyboard on lap and mouse on a folding tv table. And sitting a few feet away.

Given that I’ll have a desk this time and it’s not in the livingroom, it need not have any tv functions and I may not want to go 40” since I’ll probably sit closer.

I will always regret quality more than I will regret paying more for something I will use long enough to be considered forever (the Desk) and the other I’ll probably use for nearly as long or until it breaks (the monitor).

What are people here using? I know @Berek is using an ultra-wide, would you have gone with something different in hindsight?

I only need this for gaming (and maybe building out my website). I don’t play any competitive FPS games,this is more for SotA(which interestingly autocorrects to Dora, it knows I’m a parent) and then other single-player rpg/survival/exploration and beautiful environment games.

Size wise I assumed I’d want maybe 32” (more?) widescreen or one of those ultrawide curved setups.

Also a desk that can support either, It will sit in a corner and will face the wall unfortunately, room doesn’t quite fit two desks facing the centre which would have been my preference.

Montaigne likes this.
  2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

TL;DR - I want Desk and monitor recommendations and pictures would be awesome. Sorry for the wall of text above - iPhone while waiting for son’s gymnastics :p

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

This Samsung 34" monitor is an amazing deal, its one I use and paid full price. Currently available for only $594.99 but not sure how much longer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322396024266?afepn=5337259887&rmvSB=true

Regarding a desk. I actually prefer to buy an oak or cherry office desk versus a computer desk. More space and options. I'd take pictures but too messy. I also have a pair of long narrow desks to fit multiple consoles, books, joysticks, monitors, electronics, etc upon down each side of my desk making a U. Might be something to consider.

While not mentioned get a HIGH quality chair, thats the most important piece of your computer area, and perhaps a foot stool to prop up your feet.

Also stand and stretch, walk at least once an hour.

Example of side desks: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/brayden-studio-acrodectes-writing-desk-brys1341.html

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

If you play for extended periods, I highly recommend https://www.upliftdesk.com/

I just bought the legs and put them on an already existing desktop. When I start hurting I can stand. Or when I need to work underneath due to wires, just have it elevate and it's much easier.

Lord Andernut likes this.
  5. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

6. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Monitors are very subjective. There are also a lot of factors to consider, namely the budget. If you have the money to spend, then an ultrawide is a nice choice. If you want to go mid-range but maybe get a triple monitor setup, consider that instead. I have a triple monitor setup, and I love it because I can place all the game windows to the left or right monitors, and have a nice view of the game world uncluttered in the center monitor. I have considered getting a widescreen to put in the middle of my 27" monitors and giving the third one to my kids to use. Haven't researched that yet. A bit of both worlds I imagine.

As for the desk, that's also subjective, but I would like you to consider something modular, like from IKEA. Don't slam it just yet. They have modular solid desks that you can shape in any way you want. These desks are really strong. They are not made of flimsy material. The legs adjust for height. Last year I saw they made a desk that automatically goes up and down to support standing desks (which is good for health reasons). These components in general are expensive.

I have a full "L" shape desk (by full, I mean the one short side was made longer by another short modular piece). I also got a printer cabinet that extended one side even further (the top goes flush against one side, giving me more "desk" space outward). I then bought two cabinets to put under the main desk (giving it that full desk fee so I have drawers - they have 2 different styles). I went ahead and purchased other pieces to round out my computing area (they also have a crescent piece so you have a round edge if you want). You don't have to go with IKEA, I am sure there are other modular desk makers out there. I think they are great because you can just measure your space and then really customize it the way you work/play. :)

Good luck!

Here are some IKEA suggestions:

Drawers (Galant collection): https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/business/10711/
    Desks (Bekant collection): https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/business/20649/

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  7. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Glass computer desk is the key to life.... Coaster? nope. worn wood over time, nope.

8. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

One thing i find is that the size of the monitor is important to me depending on how close you sit to it. To big a monitor means you have to move your head or eyes around to see everything going on. I prefer personally just my 22'' monitor as the 2-3 foot i sit from it i can take it all in without any eye or head movement.

I do have 3 of them though, all the same size so i can play multiple games at once, or have internet/netflix open and/or doing some study. I would never go back to a single monitor now, not even 2 is enough for me, 3 is just about right...

9. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Bought Alien Threadripper cpu with wide Samsung monitor and it is amazing. Go for it. It is fun, and works well.

Lord Andernut and Lesni like this.
  10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@Magnus Zarwaddim - my wife has been wanting IKEA due to matching and modular possibilities. I wondered if anyone had some sweet setup I wasn’t considering.

I consider myself a gamer but not a “heavy” gamer since, well, having kids - except when a new game comes out in certain well-known rpg universes but I can only go without enough sleep for so long ;)

I don’t think I need a standing desk.

I do hope the 4-day work weeks now let me do a bit more escaping to Novia and other worlds since I generally use all my vacation time for wilderness trips (mountain climbing or canoeing being my favourite depending on who can go) and most summer weekends tend to be camping/cottaging or kidstravaganza weekends ha.

Anyways, budget is a consideration but not at the expense of quality/experience since it will be a long-term use purchase and amortized its best to just get the good stuff. Computer hardware comes and goes faster and going 2nd or 3rd tier often works fine if it lets ou upgrade more often.

Based on some of the posts I think I need to find a quality store with large number of displays here and try and compare in person.

11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I have this exact monitor and love it. Our game looks fantastic on it too.

12. Birko

Birko Avatar

Keep in mind that a monitor with good options for connectivity will last you twenty years.
    As technology and standards advance, you are likely to get adapters to keep the monitor useful.
    You may change your computer many times and find that the monitor is the oldest component.

If the monitor can handle 120Hz, then you are set for 3D. That standard might have dropped to 100Hz now, but I haven't played LotRO for a few years in 3D.
    I look forward to SotA in 3D, and I think it is on the roadmap.
    So @Lord Andernut , give budget preference to your monitor because every other future component will serve it for years to come.

13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

You can mimic my sweet setup:

Living room couch with two pillows behind my back

Metal TV tray

Four year old Gaming laptop with 17” screen

External gaming mouse

Lap tray to boost the laptop over the metal ridge in the TV tray

Enjoy! :)

14. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

@Lord Andernut, you mentioned "ideas". Here is my setup:

[​IMG]

On the left a short piece, the middle is the curved "L" shaped portion, on the right is the printer stand (it's a drawer system that is huge for another printer), and the two drawers underneath. This is all from IKEA.

This is my garage, converted to my work space - I put rubberized tiles on the floor throughout. Yes, that is a refrigerator with a lock - I have teens who are curious. Yeah, let's say curious. :)

I do more than just game here. Many a night have been spent writing briefs, organizing for trials, etc. That's a file cabinet underneath the board games. And yes, I did install a standup air conditioner (you can see the makeshift "duct" I created going out the window above the middle/right monitors). I have to keep the computer cool, and the air flows right into the top right there where I house fans and a radiator for water cooling the actual CPU.

Good luck!

Bow Vale and Elrond like this.
  15. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@Magnus Zarwaddim - My wife is really pushing the white desks ha. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I'm inclined to the wood look and darker furniture myself.

Thanks for sharing, I think the curved bit may work best for me to be flexible on the monitor setups I'm considering (I'm just using a 19" monitor in the short term until I can get out to a store to view in person).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.