1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Concept Art: The Oracle

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I love that they are mechanical, but I have to admit they are a little sinister.

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

It appears The Oracle has her own spy drones. Delightfully disturbing.

3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Makes me think the oracle looks something like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. caravaggiosWolf (Dev)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) Developer Emeritus

Thanks everyone for your compliments, observations and suggestions! I appreciate it. :) I would love to share more but I must exercise restraint.

@Mishri, what movie is that from?

@Lord Wyse, sweet!

@Gabriel Nighshadow, LOL!

@Mike11, Hmmm not sure I would change anything... I like Jackson's interpretation of the eye. If I was tasked with re-envisioning the Eye of Sauron I would give it a lot of thought.

Time Lord, ByTor, Puniasterus and 6 others like this.
  5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

That is from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood it's a series.

6. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

^ Wyse is referencing GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System) from "Portal"... I don't want to give away too much, but...

The cake is a lie. -- i.e., GLaDOS is the video game equivalent of HAL 9000...

Speaking of which.... Stephen's artwork of these nasty looking baddies also reminds me of....

[​IMG]

and, a *bit* less menacing:

-------------------

P.S. I don't have any problem with the "mechanical" nature of these flies/spiders.... Considering legends of lost civilizations like Atlantis, I could see the spider and fly being the remnants of "technology" left behind by some kind of advanced civilization...

If I had to guess, the Oracle seems like it might be some kind of super computer/advanced AI that is being worshiped as a deity. Possibly even a "Skynet" type sentient being that has hordes of mechanical minions to "protect" itself/exterminate "threats"...

So cool to imagine and guess! This artwork sparks the imagination! :)

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Woah wait this reminds me of an old Star Trek episode. There was some kind of super technology keeping these people young and alive on some world and it made them work and stuff. It was kind of like a utopia but it wasn't, and I don't remember the rest. I think it held the enterprise in orbit but the power weakened and they were able to fire phasers on it from orbit and ... it's just bits and pieces here, but maybe that's what happens here?

OR WORSE

It could be the last of the Daleks that some how escaped the time wars and found a way to use the moon fragments as a means to recharge it's power... so it caused the cataclysm to gather moon fragments but that ate into its power reserves... it will take about a 450 year process to regenerate its powercells... in the mean time it acts as an oracle causing the people to bring it moon fragments as an offering which helps it recharge. Then once it's fully charged then it says EX-TER-MIN-ATE! Then only a fully trained Avatar with the virtues as his ally could defeat the Dalek.

Is this what's happening here @RichardGarriott

8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think those things sticking out of the oracles statue head isn't dreadlocks or braids, but data connections straight to it's brain... (or computer hardware)

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

EXACTLY... they stick out like this...

[​IMG]

JUST WATCH OUT FOR THAT PLUNGER IF THE LASER DOESN'T ZAP YOU.

10. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

i found the oracle head items which i have purchased thru the addon-store at the pre-test today .... That is some scary stuff, but nontheless i am going to have it inside my house facing my bed... Because i like being watched, giggidy.

11. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

That could be "Spock's Brain" (considered by many fans to be the worst episode from TOS). Even though it was a cheesy episode, thinking of the Oracle as some advanced AI also made me think of the "Controller" that those aliens relied on too much...

It might be possible you meant a different episode. I seem to remember a TNG episode that had a similar "lesson" (or call it a warning about over-reliance on technology).

Having a Dalek around isn't always a bad thing. I hear they make excellent fitness instructors....

12. caravaggiosWolf (Dev)

caravaggiosWolf (Dev) Developer Emeritus

How do you commune with the Oracle? Once the land was scattered with Affirmation Shrines found in every city, town, village and way station. Now, 400 years after the cataclysm most are fallen into ruin. The Oracle and her place in the world a distant memory for some. Secrets yet remain to be unlocked... the eyes are always watching.

[​IMG]

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Can't wait to see how the Oracle temples turn out! I hope they're pretty ominous looking...Wow, great timing for that post, Stephen :D Very ominous indeed. Beware the Oracle's eyes!!!

14. smack

smack Avatar

Just look at the evil that lurks in the temple! It's no wonder they left it in ruin and didn't rebuild. I'm really beginning to think the Oracle is head of an evil doomsday cult and we're their prime target!

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Awesome! That reminds me of the Lord of the Rings... Hey by the way you know how Lord of the Rings should have ended... Check out this logic here man!

16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I'll just pop in here and check my virtue...Or, maybe later.

17. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Looks amazingly creepy...

"Forgive me Oracle, it's been at least 400 years since my last affirmation."

18. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I don't like you anymore Stephen!
    I keep thinking the black widows around here are going to mutate into these things and take over my home :(

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Honestly I'm more afraid of organic spiders. For some reason metallic spiders don't freak me out as much as the organic spiders. When I see an organic spider with the hairs etc., I imagine poison dripping from nasty spider fangs... gives me the shivers. Some how a metallic spider doesn't scare me as much. They might be more powerful but they don't have the yucky freakishness that normal spiders have.

20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Those insect, robotic, red eye'd things are really cool/creepy. I can't wait to encounter them in the game. With dozens in a spot it would look really freaky, especially in a building like that.

I can only guess that we can't judge based on the red eye... and the fact that she is always watching, like the NSA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.