Cooking is it all about gold?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Jace3, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Not that i need another crafting skill but I was looking through the cooking items. It looks like most everything needs to be bought to be cooked to raise level. Is this skill just a money sink then?

Themo Lock, Vermine, Spoon and 3 others like this.
  2. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Most of the ingredients are bought from NPCs, so it's definitely a huge gold sink if that's your preferred craft. I believe it will become a very important craft over the next few future releases though. We should get a taste of this in the upcoming release.

3. Selene

Selene Avatar

Hopefully when agriculture gets some love, we'll be able to get things like wheat, sugar, vanilla beans, etc that way instead of only from merchants. Might be cool to be able to milk cows that you find various places as well. I know Black Desert had farms you could visit to milk cows by hand.

moko, Cally, Bowen Bloodgood and 5 others like this.
  4. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

And THE DUCK is still missing - the live one, not the dead one on the vendor. :(

Spoon, Swan, Cally and 3 others like this.
  5. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

been trying to find a bottle of milk without any luck.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

in Ardoris, tis in the market area. one of them had a whole bunch, 400 or so.:rolleyes:

Cally and Time Lord like this.
  7. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I can't compare it with other skills since I've been focusing on cooking... but cooking is definitely very costly when it comes to crafting food and doesn't give a very good return when selling . I'm guessing that once agriculture and food buffs comes online, that will help with the costs.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG] Planet earth emergency escape vehicle...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We're not going to be able to live on this actual planet in a while folks unless we do something... "So let's do it" o_O

Very Steam Punked and very needed... ~Time Lord~o_O

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  9. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Your business was much appreciated. And always feel free to be rude and buy exclusively from my vendor! :)

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Cook more and I will buy :D I'm not sure on the dietary things on all the coming food products, but I remember Lord British being quite involved with making them actually mean something to our Avatars. Too much meat gives you something and too much vegetables causes some other effect... it was quite elaborate to hear him talk about it all... o_O

[​IMG]
    You've got a long way to go my friend!
    ~Time Lord~:D

Ravicus Domdred and Cally like this.
  11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Yes! I remember that interview and it did make it sound very in depth and immersive. I don't know how they will come up with all the different buffs for the huge variety of foods already offered - but I can't wait to see what they do with it!

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I actually think that eating was moved up in the list of Portalarium things to do list because of it's costs to those at the top of our economy. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if food costs go way up from what we may now imagine. Even in our real lives (unless you live in amazing Thailand :D) food costs literally eat up 1/3 of people's income.
    Sure, we can survive on the low end stuff, but on the upper end, when a buff player casts that spell and only consumed a loaf of banana bread before hunting, that same "get me out of trouble" spell could be far weaker than expected.
    There's not a storm coming... "there's a feast coming and we'd do well to prepare for it" ;)

Unknown and untested new effects have the greatest impact on our game.
    ~Time Lord~:cool:

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As per a recent comment by Starr, all resources (except "fuels") should ultimately be harvestable. In terms of cost of cooking ingredients.. the gold sink we see should, eventually, come through agriculture.. but it may be a few releases yet before we can grow all veggies in-game.. as for meats.. we need a means to actually have farm animals methinks.. or else we shall oft be reliant upon the local butchers. I for one am not going to go around slaughtering other people's animals in town as that wouldn't be virtuous and I doubt the town folk would appreciate it much.

Still, I live in hope that there will be many other sources of raw food sources in the near and distant future. ;)

moko, FrostII, Lord Baldrith and 4 others like this.
  14. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I will get some before it expires.

4EverLost and Time Lord like this.
  15. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

*ahem* If you're not against borrowing things from vendors while they aren't looking (a.k.a if you're a bandit), you can find quite a number of useful resources like food, fruits, sacks of sugar/salt/flour lying around town.

16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I've been wondering if stealing from vendors effects your virtue..? Hmm.. guess there's only one way to find out!

Pikegirl and Time Lord like this.
  17. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Yeah i would think we should be able to grow corn and wheat. I would think we could have chickens and cows as well.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Im finding it to be a pretty massive gold sink. That being said though, the added bonuses are pretty nice when doing a real grind run with a few buddies. Effects are very noticible.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Food is finally coming into it's own now and ( hopefully ) it will become more diverse, useful and interesting as we move forward.

Likewise, Horticulture is coming finally in R35 and it too will move forward with more plants and resources to grow....

At least, that's the plan... :cool:

Cooking will eventually ( once again hopefully ) be as important a game element as crafting or fighting for that matter.

In the meantime, there's a lot of stuff broken in combat - and scenes in general - that need some serious attention.... IMO, of course. ;)

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  20. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

Does it even work? I've eaten all manner of dishes and know it doesn't work for health and am having doubts for focus. The only thing I'm sure food does is put a little icon under your name tag.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.