Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting and Armor

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Shouldn't the type of armor you're wearing impact your success in crafting and gathering?

Why would someone be mining ore in full plate? (without a penalty)

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Short answer.. no.

I've personally seen a guy in full plate doing forward rolls and cart wheels. It's not restricting enough to make an significant difference in something like harvesting or crafting.

If we're going to get picky about what people where while they craft or harvest.. then one much also ask the question.. why wear heavy armor anywhere that a fight is not imminent? Heavy armor is hot to wear. Especially on sunny days. Not to mention having to deal with it when you need to use the restroom.

That level of realism for wearing armor is just too much for any game.

3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

No, for all of the above reasons. Why add a layer of realism that is neither necessary, nor particularly accurate?

4. Drocis the Devious

Because it's more balanced and competitive - making it absolutely more realistic and necessary.

I don't really care what Bowen has seen. The average person wouldn't mine in full plate, ever....not in any historical accuracy. Please show me the historical evidence that people liked to mine in platemail. HA!

5. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

But that is the point. It isn't necessary. If I am going to go out and gather, I more than likely have to fight, so I need armor on in most cases in order to survive the fight.

So you want me to sit there and take all the armor off, mine the node or skin the animal or whatever I am doing (to avoid penalties to what I am there to accomplish in the first place), and then go put it all back on to fight the next set of creatures to clear my path to the next site?

Talk about unneeded drudgery.

Edit: added something to get to the heart of the matter

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

gatherers should need protection and mules i. e. pack animals and warriors to watch their backs while they work.

7. TantX

TantX Avatar

1. Mega points lost for saying "platemail". Shame on you.

2. I'm pretty sure the absolute extent of their promised "simulation" involves flipping switches and breaking walls in the Dragon Cave. When the only thing that determines what armor type you wear is your chest (full harness minus the cuirass = light armor), I doubt further realism will ever see the drawing board.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

At no point did I ever say people liked to mine while wearing armor. The question asked was should armor type impact success in gathering or crafting. To which the answer is no, armor does not inhibit a person enough to make a difference.

Huge difference between what people would do.. and what they could do.

People wouldn't just sit at dinner wearing plate mail either or don their armor just to walk down the street. If you're not expecting a fight, why wear it? So would you then require people to take their armor off for these things too?

amaasing likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Your success?

Looking at it realistically, it might make gathering slower, but it wouldn't reduce your chance of getting a product. If I were mining a vein, and wearing plate, I might get fatigued sooner, and that might make it take longer. But if you know what you're doing, the job would still get done.

10. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

1. No
    2. Because of the hoard of spiders, wolves, bears, and/or skeletons that are on their way to attack me in any instance where there are resources to gather

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Exactly... if we were going to make it any more "real", then it should be in terms of gathering time, rather than success.

Lord Lonn likes this.
  12. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Maybe we should make crafters wear safety equipment and if they don't, we could include a random chance people smithing weapons, for example, will get a piece of hammerscale in their eye which imposes a penalty for X number of hours. REALISM. =P

13. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

Most people that mine don't get attacked by giant spiders.

Themo Lock and Spoon like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I don't believe in a whip, but I do believe in a carrot.

If there existed some crafting related gear/wear then I think that we very soon would see people change to appropriate gear/wear to the task.
    It doesn't have to be a big difference, just some +1 every here and there.

Blacksmith apron of prosperity, anyone? (Just kidding, more of an example that anyone would recognize).

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Seems like that would lead to gear based game. Suddenly people would be wanting stuff that boosts specific skills. Swordsman's Gauntlets, Bludgeon this, fire magic that. Where does it end?

16. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Realism?

Yes, but wisely implemented.

You know how many hours it takes to don a complete suit of the armor we wear at the flip of a deck switch?

17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Having actually worn full plate.. it wouldn't really hinder swinging a pick but there is no way i would wear it a second longer than i had to. Realism would have you wearing studded leather at best unless full-scale battle was imminent, armour is heavy and not comfortable to dance a jig in.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Agreed...but... I think we have already got that with the tools. Then I also think I that we have already got that the back way but don't know it yet since it's not implemented, since I think the base stats INT DEX STR will affect crafting as well. So that gear/wear that affects base stats will affect crafting.

19. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I think mining should represent what the real miners live. There is a beautiful short story from the book " SubTerra" (Baldomero Lillo), called: "The Devil's Blast" regarding the life on a coal mine in Lota, Chile. He described the explosions from the grisú and frequent mine collapse, the lack of adequate facilities and security equipment leading to frequent accidents.

IMO there should be more preparations needed to actually access a rich mine vein in the game, there should be more natural dangers that could be avoided with proper equipment and actions.

Regarding de OP: Why would anyone be interested in mining with full plate? I is obvious to me that reason for this is that the difficulty to access to a mine vein radicate on the mobs surrounding it, witch seems a very poor solution to me.

Destroying Angel likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

I have no problem with someone mining in full plate (if they have a penalty on their mining skill for doing it).

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.