Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting Changes

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by ship2, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ship2

ship2 Avatar

I was able to overlook the ponderously slow system, requiring so many sub-components. The biggest effect that the recent change requiring recipes has had on my game play is more often than not causing me to do something other than crafting. For a relatively new player, the costs of trivial components (coal, creosote, etc..) end up being not-trivial when trying to skill up... adding to that the grind of gathering resources, and training. Personally I thought the system was "complex, fun, and challenging" as was, without the added irritation of having to stop and begin searching for recipes.. only to discover you either needed more recipes or ran out of gold.

I'm still enjoying the game, trying to level, craft, and getting to know folks in game.. warning flags are starting to go up as I keep getting the impression Portalarium seems focused on observing how people are playing the game then set out to stop them from doing that. The risk in that habit is the success in stopping people from playing.

For me personally, I encourage the team to reconsider this "experimental" change to the recipe system. It's not adding fun. When I want to tour the towns, I do it because I want to see them; not because I really want to craft something.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi ship2. I am glad you are enjoying things. I was not all that sure about what you meant about touring towns and which 'experimental change' you were talking about, although you get 100 gold if you talk to town criers which would be a thing to do if someone just didn't want to do much but run the towns ;). Hopefully you'll join us to kill the troll or do a control point sometime soon. ;)

Roycestein Kaelstrom, ship2 and uhop like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@ship2
    There is another thread on this topic - here.
    We should try and keep comments in a single thread for them to evaluate, if possible.

4. ship2

ship2 Avatar

I was trying to rationalize why in the world the devs would make me run around trying to hunt down recipes.. if it was just a gold sink mechanism they could have just put all the recipes on a crafting vendor most crafting pits have a couple of steps away. Forcing players to visit towns is the only thing that made sense to me. Actually I've been touring the npc and pot towns just to see what they look like and peruse the vendors, incentive being just the joy of exploring. Having to stop crafting however (after filling my pack up with ore, ingots, molds, regs, adjuncts, and all the other crap you need to make anything with complexity) only to find I'm missing some recipe for meteoric cartusion, somethingorother component.. then having to unload and then hunt down said recipe, really makes me want to give up on crafting; which I was enjoying prior to this modification. I've been trying to start on leather armors and gave up in hopes they rip this crap back out soon. I gave up after repeatedly discovering some new recipe I'm missing.

I've crafted in UO (multiple releases), Everquest, Mortal Online, Skyrim... this recipe thing is uniquely irritating. Make it for end game top tier crap that sells for hundreds of thousands of gold. Recipes that drop from bosses only Guild backed badasses can touch and only GM master crafters can use. Not for the whole system.

and yes, I'd love to do a control point and the troll with you guys! :) I think I'm still kind of low (52) and haven't gotten invites to control points.

5. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I'm not a fan of this change either. I can see needing to find a recipe for higher end or rare recipes... thats fine.

but come on.. I need to run around and find the recipe to smelt each type of ingot?? The recipes are all the same just with different ore types!
    I know the recipe for a copper halberd blade, and an iron halberd blade, and a bronze halberd blade... and guess what? they are all the same recipe too, yet i still need to go searching and pay for a recipe for a constantan halberd blade?

Its ridiculous in the current state.

They need to take the recipes that are fairly basic and all the same, for example ingots, or blade molds, or hilt molds, etc.. and just make it the original way of discovery.

Keep the requirement to search out recipes for high end, unique recipes, because that at least makes some sense.

6. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

Well said !

7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I don't mind the search for some recipes but I think they need to take it a different way. Instead of taking out the find the recipe, they should narrow down all recipes. all the recipes that are identical but only change the type of material should be one recipe. We don't need a recipe for every material type, it gets rediculous and adds a lot of clutter to this system.

8. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Try smelting aluminum the same way as iron or casting copper the same way as iron or shaping lead the same way as bronze.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  9. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Have done so... they are much different in RL, but, whats your point??

FrostII and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks for joining us Ship. I can try to share what I have in blacksmithing next time we are on. I don't think I am a GM in anything though ;)

11. ship2

ship2 Avatar

The pleasure was all mine, Majoria. It was a lot of fun. Thank you for the invite! Please keep me in mind if you're filling a group in the future!

12. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

The point is you don't smelt copper with the same recipe as you smelt iron. Having the knowledge necessary to smelt copper isn't the knowledge necessary to smelt iron.

13. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

The game has to balance reality with convenience also. Too real and it can become more of a chore than a game. Finding corners to cut that won't sacrifice much would definitely help.

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The basic recipes can still be discovered by doing the "trials and errors". If there are something that you think should be discoverable and they are not, then just let them know.

Many recipes also teachable and re-teachable, so there are still ways to save costs. We gotta accept the fact that we are no longer entitled to learn all recipes by looking up the crafting websites.

15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I agree. The system, as it is ensures, that dedicated crafters will have items to sell. Those who don't mind putting in the effort to harvest the materials, learn the recipes and craft the items still have the option to do so. Those who find it too tedious will buy what they need from dedicated crafters. This will really help to allow crafters to participate in the economy.

16. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Learning recipes in game via in game recipes, trainers and players is heads and shoulders above alt tabbing to a website imo.
    Our characters don't have smart phones they shouldn't be able to learn how to craft via websites.
    I don't think having learning as a prequesite to crafting is tedious. Learning how is probably three quarters of what crafting is.

17. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Again, how is that at all relevant to the point that I made?

In game right now, its the same recipe, which makes it ridiculous that i have to go searching and pay gold for new ones for every different metal type.
    Likewise, a sword blade or a hilt or whatever component they all have the same recipe just with different metals. It is ridiculous that i need to go and search out every different one of those as well.

Its incredibly inconvenient and not at all fun for a crafter for the basic stuff. Its just plain annoying. But it does make sense for higher end stuff, rare, or unique recipes.

Simple solution that makes much more sense is to keep the old trial and error version for all the early stuff and basic components and such and make the rare/unique/high end stuff require a recipe, that would be perfectly bearable.

FrostII likes this.
  18. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

How is it any different than alt tabbing out to a website to search out where the nearest vendor is selling the recipe you need??

There will always be third party stuff and people who want to use it, more power to them.

I know that with the trial and error stuff, I looked up about half my recipes, but there were also a lot where once I kinda knew how the system was set up i was able to play around and guess and figure out some new ones on my own. Now when i need to make something i'm not interested in exploring the world searching for vendors, if I log in wanting to craft, I want to craft.. so i'm going to just look at the website and find where i can get the closest recipe that i need and get it over with and get back to crafting.

There is no improvement here.

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.