Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting Chests Suggestion

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Myrcello, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hi all.

I started in my own ingame house to place chests close to my crafting stations.
    I store in these chests the stuff corresponding to the crafting station.

Now if i open the chest i have to pull the ingredients first into my own bag to start crafting.
    I thought it would be nice if you could declare a chest at your house to be a milling chest, or a cooking ingredients chest or carpentry ingredients chest.

If you do so it will directly use the ingredients from that chest not requiring to pull it into your inventory first.

Only rule: the chest needs to stand very close to the crafting station.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You could extend the idea to any container within X distance from the crafting station in question. For simplicity though it would probably be limited to 1 container.

Amberraine likes this.
  3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

This is a fantastic idea!

Amberraine and Myrcello like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Alternative idea.. station specific craftable craft containers. ie Collection of vials for alchemy, cupboard for cooking etc.

ThurisazSheol, FrostII, smack and 6 others like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Myrcello & Bowen this would help so much. I especially like the specialized container idea - that way the art could fit the station it is next to.
    +1

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Exactly the point. Plus I thought it might make any coding concerns easier if they were specialized containers. Also less confusing depending on how you use the space. For example if you have two stations next to each other, each with their own containers. The crafting system would have to scan all nearby containers for a specific flag to know where to look for ingredients.

If there were specific, specialized containers though it might streamline the process somewhat.

Either way, it would be a nice convenience for crafters. It would allow the system to draw from larger reserves of ingredients rather than the limited amount you can carry with you.

Technical thought here. Rather than scanning nearby containers.. setting a container as craft storage could set a flag on the crafting station which could then point to the containers internal ID. So rather than having to check containers individually looking for a flag, it would just check for the flag/ID on the station you're using. Simple and quick.

The craft book could also use this for checking for ingredients. If you're on a lot with the right permissions it could include stored ingredients for each station.

Allowing for multiple storage containers per station complicates matters so probably best to set a 1 container limit.

Myrcello likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Let's see here:
    First a caveat - if the devs are pressed for time I think the container could be the crafting station itself. So when you double click a station it opens up 1 recipe book 2 crafting area 3 inventory 4 container inventory.

OK, but really I like it if they could be seperate items placed next to the crafting station:
    Agreed on specialized, so that each station has a specific container and you can only use the correct one.
    Agreed on the limit of 1 container per station.
    Agreed on right-click the station select "Container", then click on the container. Creating a 1to1 link.

Myrcello likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Of course you agree on the last line you're the one who thought of it. ;)

Actually there is one potential issue I keep forgetting to mention. While it's not a difficult problem to overcome I think it's better to present the most complete idea possible..

So.. the issue is what happens to items in the work area when you close the it or double click a recipe. Right now, all items not used for the new recipe or left on the table are automagically put back in your inventory. You wouldn't want this if there's a special storage container.

1: All finished products are placed in your inventory.
    2: All other items are either A: placed in storage unless it is "full" in which case the remainder is placed in your inventory or on the ground if your inventory is full.. or B: placed in whatever container they came from whether it be storage or inventory.

An alternative to placing items on the ground is to leave them in the work space and subject to decay. The work space is saved for X amount of time so you can find somewhere to make room in your inventory and come back to collect the items. If you leave it for too long the ingredients are absorbed into the economy.

That is assuming of course there is a scenario where containers (including inventory) have limited space (which I think they should), Though it's difficult to imagine a scenario where both the storage container and inventory end up both full.

One possible scenario though may involve not having room in your inventory to take away a finished product. In which case the crafter might get an error message and fail to craft an item until they make room.

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

My brother Bowen, it was your idea; you posited it under the 'technical thought here', I just grabbed it and put it down in simplest UI terms.

Regarding where stuff ends up - me I have suggested that we can right click a bag/container/backpack and select it as "inbox" (name subject to change but it is the MCD for now).
    That way new stuff end up where we can later look through it for sorting.

But they seem not to go for the bag in a sack in a backpack approach, at least not yet.

So my vision for crafting abc,
    A
    first you have a container where you place stuff you later want to craft
    Example; a cabinet for alchemy ingredients
    B
    Then you have the crafting station
    C
    Then you have a container where the end product go
    Example; a chest for your potions

So from your crafting station you can right click and select an IN and/or an OUT container. With the default being your inventory - like now.

Wouldn't it be cool (in E3) if you could take your vendor - say follow me- go to the OUT chest say take all in chest - point to the chest - and the vendor fills the inventory from the chest - then you finish by saying open store, and the vendor goes to the designated selling area?
    Then to have that as an automated schedule for the vendor, so that it goes to collect whatever you have in the chest which match your "price list"...

10. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

I would prefer one or more dedicated containers to be used for this.

If any container within a certain range can have the resources used I might accidentially use my partners ingots that were saved to create a pan to hit me over the head with if I come home late.

11. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

I would love a chest attached to a crafting station. Personally I don't like the idea of just one chest.. Images of iron ore and deer carcasses together just freaks me out..

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I think it can't be one per station. You might use cotton at textiles or tanning. You might use leather at tailoring or carpentry. Fat might be tanning or cooking. etc.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So you put those ingredients in each container according to your need.

14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Excellent idea Myrcello! In EQ2 there were community chests in your guild hall that autograbbed resources and consumables...Just had to fill them up...Next best thing to having a consumable vendor right where you craft. Also, the auto grabbing materials was awesome! I hope we can get something like you suggested with the chests next to the crafting tables. I love this idea!

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The art for most of the crafting stations already has draws and the like.. why not just make the stations themselves containers?

Lord Baldrith and Duke Raas like this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Um how hard is it to place a chest next to each type of station, Tailoring chest next to the Tailoring related stations and, get this, use TAKE ALL, and put everything into you bag and then begin crafting? When done, Take all the consumable and Tools you have in your bag and put them back?

I am sorry but there could be a lot more focus on game play and other more pressing areas.

I was a little miffed about having to drag items onto the table until I learned that you can double click the picture and if the items are in your inventory the required amounts are placed on the table and the craft button highlights. The you just take all and repeat. This is not all that complicated, no real need to get more elaborate.

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

True but the proposal also is not all that complicated either. Crafting itself is far from finished and this suggestion would help crafters stay organized while removing some of the tedium.

At this stage in development I see 'new' ideas as falling into one of two categories. Those which have a practical shot at still making it in and those that simply don't. The biggest difference between the two being how expensive it would be to actually do.

This idea is relatively easy in concept and execution. It's expanding on what's already there and is relatively small in scope. Nobody is saying it should be a priority. Just that it would be nice. It also doesn't take away from anything that exists.

Compare that to other suggestions that would require replacing large, integrated systems with something else (and there are some of those floating about the forums). Just not at all practical and very expensive to do in both time and resources.

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Crafting and interior decorating IS the game play many of us focus on XD

ThurisazSheol and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.