Crafting level and expected quality of items

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Katu, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katu

Katu Avatar

Hi,

I have been slowly raising my blacksmith and carpentry to be able to craft what I need.
    What kind of levels are needed to craft anything that is really usable? By usable I mean atleast +6 items
    For example, creating Halbert. What kind of items can I get with all necessary skills at 80 vs 100?

All the other skills gain pretty much nothing when compared 80->100 difference, is this same with BS and Carp?

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The + come from enchants and masterworks, the base enchanting and masterwork determines your chance of success, and the subskills, enchant weapon and enchant armor determine the power of the enchants and mastorks. Each enchant and masterwork has a set value of + it gives to the weapon.

Nelzie likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I am also raising my blacksmithing and my 80s are not good enough and neither are 90's. Also there is blacksmithing level for example but that is not the proficiency you are so fyi to be able to do recipes. You may know this but others might not. It to me is a painful process and I am hoping for some rework to the system such as when you fail you have a chance to get a couple of resources back or something. It is pretty painful to always just get those measly few scraps back, quite a slap in the face for all your hard work and lost resources going down the drain. Anyway I don't mean to be a downer on it as with most things in this game we are still developing and will see changes from feedback and future development of ideas. Good luck and best wishes :)

edited typos

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Mac2 likes this.
  4. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

In this issue your skill in blacksmith is basically just defining your chance of success to create an item in general and further to create an exceptional item. (e.g. exceptional = 150 instead of 100 basic durability)
    Next you process further the item by enhancing/masterworking it. (just like Mac2 said)
    In this process you might lose your item but if you are able to successfully enhance/masterwork an item you will still lose some base durability in this process. That’s why mostly just exceptional items are used to be enhanced/masterworked.
    The chances to create an exceptional and enhancing/masterworking are not really high and especially as you may lose the item during enhancing/masterworking I guess most prefer to have their chances as high as possible and thus their skills.

Nelzie likes this.
  5. Katu

Katu Avatar

Thanks for the answers, so basically, being self sustained crafter is not as simple as it sounds. I'm better off just grinding mines and finding a guild with crafter and just hand all of my resources to him and hope to get something nice. As there is no way I can ever afford armor set that costs even 20k a piece. But, if I now start to sell all the loot I might actually get some money :/

Anyhow, thanks for the answers.

Nelzie and kaeshiva like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Avatar

Visit Whyte Roc near Etceter and look for Fzol . ;)

Katu likes this.
  7. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Actually self-sufficiency is not the general goal for crafting in SotA. In many MMO crafting is something unimportant as everyone can do everything but in SotA the devs would like to create an economic cycle with the need to trade and interact.
    If that will work out we will see as the current mechanics are just a part of their plan and we currently just have a casually look at the final goal. (E.g. later it is planed that the time of the day and area you are crafting in is at least sometimes influencing the result of your crafting.)
    Some will of course still train all skills but I would guess for the general avatar is would be most beneficial if they would choose a hand full of crafting skills that fit their play style as without such a specialization most avatars will recognize that there is always someone offering better or cheaper items than they can create.
    And yes selling resources should already be a profitable way to get some money.

Katu likes this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The sad truth is you'll never be able to "reliably" craft anything regardless of skill level.
    Most people draw a line at grandmaster (or the extremely dedicted, at 120 or so) beyond which the experience investment gives so little return its barely worth it.
    Even at level 120 skill the breakage rates are very high, and there is nothing done to mitigate the randomness of the system.
    High skill level ups your success% but it gets to the point where you're investing millions of experience (way more than it costs to GM the skill) to get a 1% increase.

If you want to make a +7/8 ish item, that's typically 2 enchants, 2 masterworks.
    Assuming you want an exceptional item since all crafted gear is disposable after a few weeks of use, you'll need to make about 4 times as many items to try and get exceptionals.
    Your exceptional chance increases with your base skill level (Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Tailoring). At Grandmaster you're looking at 28% or so, depending on expert tables/tools/blessing so give or take a percent.
    Lets say .28 chance to exceptional.

Then you need to masterwork/enchant.
    Masterwork/Enchant success chance is based on the "top level" masterwork/enchant skill (Blacksmithing Masterwork, Enchanting, etc.)
    At GM Level, that's passing a .95 x .95 x .82 x .82 percentage check just for survival (60.6% chance)

So .28 exceptional x .60 survival = 16.9% chance that you'll get something usable, per attempt.

This is where it gets awful.
    The enchants/masterworks that you get are completely random and you must choose from a pool of 10-11 or so choices. Additional choices open up at higher skill levels further diluting the chance of getting the thing you want. Putting a gem in something dilutes this even further. Trying to make a wand for example with a gem in it gets the additional gem options AND the additional attunement options. More options are bad if you're after a specific one.

So in your two masterworks, and two enchants, assuming you're not trying to make a wand with a gem but something a bit more basic, and lets say you're after say, strength and avoidance bonuses only:
    You need to pass a 3/11 * 3/10 * 3/11 * 3/10 (3 choices out of 11, which reduces to 3 choices out of 10 on 2nd, for masterwork/enchant).
    The chances of getting all four bonuses that you want is a fraction of a percent.
    And its still only got 16% chance to even live.
    And this is at grandmaster level.

Level 120 improves the survival chance marginally, but does nothing to mitigate the randomness.

The sub-skills effect the potency, but again you end up in a situation where you can spend millions of xp for an increase of 0.1 to a stat (Ie adding 3.2 instead of 3.1 strength to something).

So what's the bottom line?

If you really, really want to be a "gear" crafter, expect to grind mines for producer xp for quite a while and spend a small fortune on metals even to level up (i.e. in the millions of gold range). Never expect to make any profit out of anything you make as the materials will sell for far more. Specializing is probably better as its less sklls you need to level up. Prepare to spend any time you don't spend during a week grinding producer xp, at the refining table smelting. I actually bought a 2nd account to make a smelting character since I was spending over 25 hours per week refining.

Also, now that the discovery system for recipes has been removed, teachability is all over the place,, recipes have been scattered to vendors all over the place, and alloy metals and such have now been remanded to rare loot drops from rare bag drops from particular mobs...well, prepare to spend a lot of time or money trying to get your recipe book in order.

If your end result is you want a piece of gear, bring your materials to someone whose already done all of the above and have them make it.
    If you want to be a crafter because you love crafting and want to make a profit at it....the best advice I can honestly give is to play something else. The way to money in Sota is to be a gatherer, not a crafter.

If you're still determined, (or stubborn, like me) feel free to come by Rinzai and see the museum of all available crafting options and apprentice with me or Scoff to save yourself some materials. I highly recommend specializing at first, having one skill high is better than having all of them mediocre, from a success perspective.

moxiepilot, Mototopo, Aldo and 5 others like this.
  9. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

To get a 70 Proficiency in any Craft skill (Carpentry, Blacksmith, etc)...you need to be Level 98 in that skill or higher. That will allow you to learn pretty much all the recipes.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes for now you could to get the gear and work a little here and there on it to improve your skill. That is what I'm doing. I can make +7 stuff myself very carefully and it is not only gear that helps you. I have inates to at least 80 to get resistances, strength, power, dex etc. Especially fire inate resist is very important. I can survive much better if I am careful.

11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

My specialty is polearms and chain. I can just barely get myself a suit I am satisfied with. I have a chest of hundreds of polearms that are non-exceptional, and exeptional failures because of poor masterwork choices available. That said I will work on orders free of charge if someone supplies the materials. And that also said, I can't imagine anyone would ever come by with thousands upon thousands of ores and specialty mats asking for the free service. It is sad that crafters are completely left out of the economy and that the bucket list of items for attention before release does not include crafting overhaul. If you have 40,000, there is a pretty darn good halberd on my vendor at Spite (North Gate). PM me if you want to see others. @Katu

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes and the point is while some may have gotten themselves to a level to achieve some mastery in crafting. Imo it is missing fun and still torturous. I do not say there should not be a risk verses reward to it at all, but for one thing mastering it needs tweaked. What does mastering it mean? Is it even reliable? You spend all that time and resources to fail when you are a master. At least make a lessor piece you can try again on or do something with it. That is ridiculous that you scrap anything at mastery. This needs to be thought out better imo. @The dev team. Please take a look at crafting and what mastery means and stop giving us just scraps thrown in our face at failures of all kinds well please.

edited

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Please do not confuse "craft" with "masterwork/enchant".

14. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I don't know how people are seeing equipment as disposable after a "few weeks"...

They must be playing a CRAZY amount of hours and or being killed quite often too. I have had the same gear on for nearly a month and the basic repair kits are things that I've only had to use a few times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.