Create Moongates already!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hurricane, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

In UO once I had all my runebooks created I rarely used the moongate system, But in SOTA I don't think they want runebooks to be a thing at all however I wanted to offer up a happy medium. with the regional moongate system.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  2. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

They HAVE a moongate system... just not the one you are wanting to use.

alioth and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

that's accurate.

4. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

I also have the doubts about a functioning regional economy and also agree from reading many posts that the rift system was a bad idea.

One thing over the years I have seen from developing groups is when a bad idea has been identified by a player base the devs double down on that bad idea instead of admitting it, trashing it or changing it in a meaningful way.

I hope that isn't the case with the SOTA team.

Cordelayne and Budner like this.
  5. Nog

Nog Avatar

I used the lunar rifts a lot initially. I did not have a friend list to speak of (and, in fact, am still hesitant to cold-call friend lots of random players to build one). The choke points are all but impassible if you are a low level toon; some of them are nasty even if you're not. I was too cheap to spend 1300g for a guide to bypass each time I wanted to move through. So this left careful planning with the rift gates. Note, the gate you want usually just expired in the last cycle or two. ;)

Now when I was starting the game I had lots of time to explore, wait, and do stuff in another zone if the rift gate wasn't going where I want. If you have life/family stuff keeping your gaming time limited, the hour-ish cycle to get where you want would make the rift system time and convenience prohibitive.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't think they were ever intended to be convenient. I'd bet they were mostly included because moongates. Secondarily, I expect they were intended to allow lower level characters to bypass control points at the expense of time/convenience. I used them a lot early on as well, but once control points were only a minor hassle, that became faster than the rifts. About the only time I use them now is the rare once in a while when the timing works out and I'm crossing from one end of the map to the other.

Duke Gréagóir, Jaesun and Nog like this.
  7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

It is hard to have regional economies when Britt and the surrounding POTs are the center of the entire economy.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

It sometimes can go both ways tho. Have you ever seen Richard's youtube video with Markee Dragon where he talks about how, When he was devleoping Ultima IV, and coming up with the virtue system that we use to this day,
    that the people in his company tried to talk him out of it becasuse it was not the playstyle that the players at the time already told him they loved. If he had caved into that pressure, then likely Ultima as we know it would not exist.

Jaesun likes this.
  9. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

That doesn't mean they are right on this, and the virtue system has nothing to do with an economy.

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Who said it did. And I agree with you. I am just saying you can't always listen to the majority who think they're always right.

That said, I'm for abolishing the passes, expanding the moongates, and increasing reasons for players to go to towns.

11. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Has nothing to do with being right or wrong, people do not like the system as it is now so, time to change or abolish it.

12. eydya

eydya Avatar

Nope, literally just left a Lunar Rift while reading this thread. Was wondering if the mouse-over tool-tips were inaccurate. So they did correspond?

13. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Airships, preferably with lots of cogs.

Bambino likes this.
  14. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Airships, craftable using black smithing, carpentry, alchemy, tailoring.

15. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

1, what economy?
    I see lots of vendors with overprized crap (I am MC Tailor and carpenter and know **** when i see it)
    2, Loadscreens:
    Is what makes travel ackward, I would prefer zones connecting but know we will never get that, alternative quicker load times...would help

Travel is in so faar uninspiring as we have the overworld map where nothing hasppens and the encounters who are just inconvient as soon you are over lvl 80 (or before if you are an cool kid) and the passes (just a nuissance on the way above a certain level)

Replacing one fast travel systhem with another is no help here, as long tavel by itself is the boring part you do to get to the exiting bits.

16. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Once you are a high enough level to deal with the hazards, you can get pretty much anywhere in Novia and the Hidden Vale underground, and the trip would also be worth your while, both in terms of loot/harvesting and XP.

17. deRoque

deRoque Avatar

True! But always remember to mind the gap....

18. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

+1

The moon gates allow social interaction and places of meetup just like the bank did but to a lesser degree in UO. Lots of good friendships have been made at bus/train stops! The only thing ill add to this is to make control points much harder to get through, and maybe make sprinting not possible, or even redesign them to be a pain and a age in getting through.

One restriction i would place on moon gates is that you cant go through while overweight though.

I understand removing teleport/recall scrolls will make people cry BUT it is needed to make regional economies work, and tie that in with inns in various parts of the world ( if bonus to skills/sleep in bed etc) will encourage people to go to an area to farm for maybe a duration of time ( days/weeks on a proper away from home adventure) and to interact with the players/services/vendors/inns in both mmo and solo mode( both still applicable) in those areas.

19. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

We do not have an economy to start with.
    We have vendors selling overpriced junk (with sadly few exeptions) where i ask myself if the people making the price do not know better or try to cheat people out of as much gp as possible
    So why should i go an take the hassle of passing an barrier to another market where i get cheated versus staying in my guild town and making stuff i need together with other guildies (and not visit the lands behind the barrier anymore)

Oh, people not in big guilds would be the big loosers.

20. Hurricane

Hurricane Avatar

Did the devs ever explain in a Twitch video or post somewhere on how they expect the regional economy to work?

Of coarse the main cities would fill up first and then the towns across the land but I don't see that happening.

even if I one day get a house my options are limited to ghost towns further away from the major cities and hope that more people show up, place a house and set up vendors otherwise I wouldn't have customers stopping at my shop.

At least in UO even if you lived in the sticks you could go to Britt bank, Advertise your shop and gate people to it while selling rune stones to your shop for 50gp. It was fantastic!

IF the devs want an economy why so many road blocks and transportation restrictions?

Opening a supply chain is the answer not restricting it. It feels as if we have sanctions placed on us. ugh!

Gorthyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.