Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crystal Sword replica - new design

Discussion in 'Release 45 QA Feedback Forum' started by Sir Leonard, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

This is a repost...

First - i want to apologize, really, from my heart. @Berek, i see you guys saw the old post as an attack or containing some kind of "threats" (this was the delete message statement i got). Although i used other wording, this was never my intention and i think i was deeply misunderstood. I was only objectively saying what potentially (and for certain) will happen if this is implemented the way it is now. I understand that sometimes dev team is under pressure to deliver and some decisions may not be the best in a given timeframe, in no moment was that a personal insult or critic to anyone here, i know you all and know you always do your best to give us the best experience.

So, that said, if by any means, something i said offended you, or @Chris , or @DarkStarr or @Lord British or anyone else here, let me repeat it: i am deeply sorry, this was never my intention, i feel really bad for all this confusion and misunderstanding. I am a die hard fan and supporter of you guys and i've never saw a team so passionate in what you guys do and the openness you talk and interact with us, the community and i really desire for your success. (Being not a native english speaker, maybe i used some terms that may have caused confusion, anyway).

That clarified, let me me rephrase and repost what i spent sometime thinking about the "Crystal Sword being a replica only:

I think this should not be "enforced" - to have to break your sword to be able to use it as decoations. There are some pitfalls to implement the idea like this, because:

1) There are more items, that like the crystal sword, are untradeable. Benefactor Tunic, Some special books (quest books for instance), like the Virtue Quests books, the real Dire Prophecy, keys, quest items, etc.

2) You can expect to see people wanting ALL ITEMS as decorations. You can expect these questions will popup in future telethons. Always... sooner or later they'll ask why the Benefactor Tunic is unable to be placed, some of us will want the ORIGINAL books, not copies in their house, etc.

3) Some of us collectors (me included) will be heartbroken to have to "use" the sword and break it for good, only to see a "replica" placed as decoration. This item have sentimental value to some of us. And yes, i still want to display it for others to see that "awesome" special backer item not obtainable or craftable anywhere else.

4) Making the "special code" to place untradeable items on lots will save you all from bothering about this in the future. It is a true solution, whether the other (placing replicas) seems more of a workaround than a true solution. (Yes, i know this special code may be hard, but you already made the tenant "special code", Whether only the owner can pick an item, the others can evict it from the lot but not take possession, hence i think this is more than feasible). Think of having that fancy, glowing dire prophecy standing in your bookshelf, saying everything of your avatar to others. That bonesteel dagger that reminds you that you never completed that quest, but have the knife as a memento of how uncaring your avatar is are about quests.... the Dread Artifacts hanging in a wall... the list goes on.

5) You (we) still have (at least) 4 more episodes to regret of this decicion being made now. Think of the future, and you end up "having" (or wanting) to implement that code for one reason or another. People will remember how they all broke their swords and will be (with a reason this time) pissed off at you. This, or you'll be "blocked" to implement this on the future just because you made that decision in a time were your time, or budget, or team, was too constrained to implement, and now you have a dilema to either deliver this feature and face backlash and accusations of "not keeping promisses", or having to drop a good idea just to preserve an old and deprecated decision.

Ayway, to prevent this, here are my suggestions:

A) Don't implement this.. Rollback the changes on QA before it is too late. - actually, you can allow people to do replicas, as it is working on QA, but leave also a statement that to the more "patient" fellows, in the future there will be expanded features to allow you to place your original sword as decoration. This will prevent any backlash from people feeling "forced" to break their collection.

B) Take your time, but do it - I know you have plenty. I know, episode 1 may aready be closed of features, but we have more. And having the tech for tenants already completed, the know-how and much of the steps to implement it may already be in place, with some tweaks.

Again, i am deeply sorry if the wording on the old post may have offended any of you guys... but i think paying some attention to these suggestions here and now can save you some trouble in the future. And also, sorry again for not having reached you before, but i tried to submit some questions last telethon, and i could not (several personal reasons - being in a hospital, one of those). Also sometimes it is hard to some messages to reach you (again, not saying it is your fault anywhere).

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    scroda and Berek like this.
  2. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

My suggestion is just to add a Crystal Sword Replica Quest to an NPC:
    • If you show your (Royal) Founder's Crystal Sword to an NPC, then you receive a Crystal Sword Replica from the NPC.

scroda and Dartan Obscuro like this.
  3. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

I agree with the things

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.