Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Current drop rate system.

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by DavidDC, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

When the last release r38 was on, we had this new artifact drop rate which was pretty good. I could find one a day by farming about 6 hour a day. Now, i farm a week, and hardly find an artifact. The problem is, there is what, 60 artifact now? Not counting the recipe, and there will probably be more rare drop in the futur. So if i want to get all different artifact, it will take me about 30 year. The drop rate is wayyyyyy too low. I consider myself as a hardcore player, which play all day. Imagine the new incomers that play a casual 2-3 hour a day (which is still insane imo) and never get anything, how dull is this?

I know that some people can kill boss by duo or solo, and that should be impossible imo. But bosses should drop one each time. Everytime i ask my guild (which has alot of people on) to go bosses hunting you know what the anwser is? No. No one want to go boss farming because it takes too much time for a whole 0 loot most of the time. And not counting the death and xp lost. So the result of bosses fighting for most people is alot of pain, and no gain.

I dont know if you have plans or something about this but these need to be worked on. I played online games for 20+ year and this is the worse drop rate i have seen. Ill say something you probably heard a thousand times but which is true, people have lives. And those people will switch game just for that reason. This is a slow game, meaning you have to prepare before every battle, have to go back in town which takes a couple minutes to drop stuff in bank, sell stuff, repair gear, etc. Which come to ask myself the question, is it really worth it to play this game? Taking couple weeks to get 1 of the 500 skill to gm, just to kill monster and get nothing. I was really happy when r38 came out with the artifacts. I got my hand on about 8 different arti since then, out of the 30, took a month, with my farming rate. I was far away to get them all 30.. Now 60... and drop rate nerfed? This is disapointing.

I dont know what to say to convince you to raise the drop rate or change the system, i know its hard to think of a way to please everyone and not get tricked by some people that will finds way to get them faster than other. But there gotta be a change in this cause many people is already abandoning to farm stuff after 3-4 day of release. Cause they know they wont get stuff.

Another example. i farmed a kobold chain blade from kobold brawler for the pattern. Took me about 150 chainblade, that mean 150 kobold brawler killed, out of 700 monster total (counting all those around them, gunner, mechanical). All that for 1 pattern, which is pretty heavy but its okay. But i know some people will take more than that, and most of the guys in my guild are looking for another weapon, the katana. I went to restless wood to farm for katanas, but hey, the skeleton that drop them spawn randomly, the drop rate is random, and the chance to get a recipe is random. Your chance to get a katana pattern? Maybe 20x harder than kobold?. This is ridiculous :\

Maybe you are out of ideas, its possible, so here are some suggestions from my experiences in gaming:

- Luck
    Add luck to drop rate, a variable that start at 1 going to 1000, which means 0.01% chance at 1 and 10% at 1000. The more monster you kill the more the luck variable get up +1. So the more mob you kill, the better chance you have. In partys, the rate would reset to 0 and an addition of 500 could be added to whole group luck. If you are 2, its 1500 point, 3, 2000 point etc.
    (The calculs are probably bad, but that give an idea)

- Instances drops
    I saw that message about instance closing in 60 minutes in the rises and that made me think the boss was dead. Not sure if it was the case or just a problem with the instance itself but that would be good to give good drop to bosses in instances, and make them non respawnable (if its not already this way) so people have to actually get out of the instance and come back in (which take more times), maybe make the way to the boss harder with a better respawn rate. So people will really fight for their loot and will have to be in group.

- More random rare bosses.
    After killing a certain amount of monster in an instance, a random harder monster with a better drop rate could appear, and give better loot. First to kill first to get.

- Better drop balance on mobs/bosses
    That would be the greatest and easiest idea so far, just raise it a little bit more and give every monster chance to drop artifact, low and bad artifact could be dropped from lower monster tier 3-6. Bosses should have those non-negative, hard to find artifact. (Or something around that) Its more complicated to adjust drop for every kind of monsters give better result, way better result.

Anyway, thats my tought about the drop system. Its a long post and im pretty sure not many will read it all but if you dev do please consider it.

Innascual Inch, FrostII, Numa and 3 others like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

If people made the warlock's chain the weekend of release, the drop rate is still too high.

3. mass

mass Avatar

I'm one of those 2-3 hour a day players (maybe less) and I want the low drop rate. This way, when I finally get one, it will be special, and not something all the hardcore players have all of already.

4. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

You probably wont like my opinion on this, but as someone who is also out there hunting a lot..... a lot.....

...I actually think the drop rates are great with this release!

They need to be rare. You have to also imagine that if they continue to add artifacts, patterns, etc. as rare drops - the chance at finding "something" will potentially increase while keeping individual items pretty rare.

The game is not even technically "out" yet and people want to already own everything! These things need to be long term objectives and give both the old and the new things to keep busy with, and surprises to be found, for many days to come.

Enjoy it the hunt!

P.S. I am actually okay with some of the items getting an even LOWER drop rate :p

Chrystoph Reis and Elfenwahn like this.
  5. LikeAfox2

LikeAfox2 Avatar

I am not sure how good this sample is, but here is my experience so far farming mages in The Rise:

after 75 mages, I have looted:

15 recipes
    A named shield (not sure if this is rare or a normal item, but it does have a description on it)
    and about 25 new potions
    No Artifacts

I have not counted the mages wep's I will salvage for patterns.

6. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

If it has a description and some sort of effects/bonuses - that's an artifact. Congrats!

7. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

It looks like the drop rates were turned down quite a bit from patch day. I think we got really lucky, and it was the effort of a guild full of people rather than a single person.

That being said, I like the current drop rate. Artifacts should be rare rather than on 1 in 4 kills like patch day was.

Chrystoph Reis and Alley Oop like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That was a unique situation. I don't think the drop rate is too high.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

I agree with alley. Drop rate is perfect. Makes the game so much more exciting.

10. DavidDC

Guess i am the only one to find the loot is crap. Many games i played was taking a couple weeks/months to get the stuff i wanted, here i dont see the end of it. If only the crap artifact would drop a bit more often that would give some hope, most crafted item are better than those anyway. I got another ring of luck after a week of playing (in rise, cause i got nothing other than in there yet). That isnt my definition of something exciting...

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

:/ You mean the hours of grinding, or the not getting stuff?

Sorry; I don't mean to put too harsh a point on that, but I don't think the slow aspects that you're talking about in your OP are really the problem with the game. If a few months into the game, every player vendor is selling artifacts for cheap because its so common, then what's the thrill of getting it dropped while adventuring? I think you're right in a way in that the game could afford to have some types of drops that are not common but not as rare... like even maybe finding a gem on a bandit or wizard once in a while, as a small example... but rare things should stay rare IMO.

The bigger problems with the game, though is that this grindy/farmy gameplay is what there is. And I think we don't want to go in the direction of "grind and farm for 4 hours and you'll be sure to get these artifacts," because that doesn't really change the nature of the problem or make the game more fun.

Elfenwahn and mass like this.
  12. DavidDC

Nope but that could be a solution. To drop something random on monster like gem, scroll, more potions, . I farmed 45 minute in grundvall shard today and got a poison potion that last 15 second... This is the kind of disapointment im talking about. Artifact that are cheap could drop more often than artifact that are rare, instead of having them all in one lot or whatever it is and make them drop randomly between them, which give you even less chance of getting the good one when it finaly drop something. I got 2 copper weapon from monster drop, you know what, they were normal weapon, but i was still happy, that gave me some hope to get something and continue farming. I can create those in no time by crafting them but still, that was cool to know that could drop. Thats the kind of coolness missing in this game.

13. DavidDC

And yes the high level mages drop seem to drop more than other, why i have no idea, but its really exagerated the difference between a elven mage and a elven archer for example. Or a hardened skeleton footman and a skeleton mage (the high levels one). Even lich sharshooter and lich mage could give a bit better. They are in middle of ruins giving hope but nothing to loot. :\

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Just dropping by to agree with the 'the drop rate is fine' crowd.
    And i didn't find a single artifact so far.
    And at the moment I am farming on a daily basis because the prices for resources seem to have found some kind of meridian.

15. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Sorry, but... the droprate... lolz, is way way too high.
    Tons of the newer Artifacts right after release.

The market already gets flooded with theese things.

Theese kind of Artifacts should be "Rare", i mean really "Rare", currently they are just "Uncommon".

Problem is, stuff drops like mad on CPs and Mage Room in The Rise...
    And player reports told me that Artifacts also have an way way higher droprate in PVP zones... go figure...
    So maybe this game, called SotA will turn into another EVE Online where all the cool stuff is in 0.0 sec only :p :/ *bleh*

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Numa and Earl Atogrim von Draken like this.
  16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

You were just unlucky or they changed it recently.
    But 15 recipes out of 75 mages is actually quite good btw.

But no Artifact, yeah that's new...

17. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Correct.
    Took em only about 24 - 48 hours, which is quite sad imo.
    Yes i know, an entire guild worked on it, but still... it should take atleast a week instead of basically just 1 day.

Chrystoph Reis likes this.
  18. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

It was an entire guild and others as well, all combined to help make it really. Pooled resources and skills...Do you know how many boss's died in 3 days for that to be achieved....lots!

uhop, Numa, mass and 2 others like this.
  19. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

yes, and that's the kind of thing i don't like about this game.
    You can farm hundreds of bosses / day, just boring imo...

I mean i killed 20 dragons or so with my GF in an timeframe of about 2 hours, and we were quite slow actually.
    Now if an entire guild does this.... tons and tons of boss kills in just one day...

meh...

That basically means, the droprate may be maybe fine as it is, but since you can farm all kind of things and bosses non stop every single day, every 3-5 minutes (ok some things spawn after 10 mins or so) nothing really requires afford other than just endlessly farming, standing, waiting, tank & spank, dps things down because tactics are not required anyway..... it's just, again... meh :) that's my opinion

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    mass likes this.
  20. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Yes i do understand but there needs to be a reward for close work of a group and think actually how many hours of specific dedicated farming took place to get it

GrayFog likes this.
  21. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Agreed, but that's why i like other MMOs more where a boss has some serious respawn timer, but guaranteenes atleast some loot drop.

Even if the respawn would be only 2 hours (with guaranteened loot drop of some kind), it would slow things down a bit.
    But as it is currently, you can accomplish everything in 24 hours.

mass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.