Custom Book Covers

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Rennik, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

With Release 42, we now have the ability to add a custom pattern, or "skin", to an existing book, thereby our player-written books can have different covers! :) I was very excited about this... until I tried it.

First, the pattern itself is 200 GP at a bookseller vendor... not too bad. Then you combine the book, the pattern, and 3 wax at a Tailoring Station... and BLAM, new book cover!

Unfortunately, if you take the new book and use a printing press to copy it, it doe not retain the new cover design... the copy has the old book cover design. This means that— if you have a book that you've written and want a custom cover for all the copies, it will cost you 200 GP for each cover. If you're only doing a couple of books, the 200 GP pattern price is okay... but mass production of in-game player-written books with custom covers is going to get expensive really fast. :(

Maybe you meant to have it like that, but IMHO it would better to either be able to buy blank books already made with the desired cover, or have the new cover design carry over in the printing press duplication process.

Just something to consider moving forward... but if nothing else, at least we HAVE custom covers now! ;)
    UPDATE: @Vas Corp Por has looked into the issue of the Custom Book Cover pattern not carrying over to duplicated books... and it looks like that is by design. So if you want custom covers for your in-game literature, each individual copy will require its own pattern. Thanks for checking into it, @Vas Corp Por !
    @Attenwood @DarkStarr @Berek

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If the printing press doesn't copy the cover then it makes no sense that you can buy blank books for 1 or 2 gold and a single use cover is 200! What makes a cover so much more valuable than the book itself???

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ugh, yeah that isn't ideal. I thought @DarkStarr was going to test to make sure the copy worked...

Hornpipe likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm actually ok with the added cost. My problem is that there does not appear to be enough book covers. Not enough variety.

I'd like to see many more types of covers starting with a black leather binding.

Hornpipe and Rennik like this.
  5. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Aye... right now they seem to only be using existing book cover art, and only some of them. But some covers would be awesome... including the black leather. :)

6. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

Perchance, did this issue get looked at for this next release? I'm confident that there are a lot more "pressing" issues (printing press, get it?), but I'd really love to mass produce my book without spending 200gp for each copy.

@Attenwood @DarkStarr @Berek

LoneStranger and Hornpipe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.