1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Daily Experience Award Delivery Changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Attenwood, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello Avatars,

After much confusion reported in the forums as both bugs and feedback, we would like to clarify the changes that were made to the Daily Experience Award Delivery for Release 45.

By player request, we originally intended to move the experience award delivery to become part of the Oracle's daily virtue test, such that the timing of this award would match that of the gold awarded daily by the Oracle.

However, after much feedback and review, we discovered that the time and effort required for many players to access the Oracle in order to acquire the award made this delivery method impractical. We have now decided to revert to the original server-based delivery method at login.

A change that was made and is being maintained is the removal of Crafting experience from the daily award. Our original intent was to offset experience loss due to Decay. While this makes sense for Adventurer experience, the Crafting tree currently suffers no decay. We believe that the daily Crafting experience award was unbalanced and made it too easy to train crafting skills without much effort.

Some players reported that they had not been awarded experience by the server within a 24 hour period. Our team has confirmed that while we were making changes to this system yesterday, there was a six hour window of time during which the server did not deliver the daily experience. This problem is now fixed. We apologize for this temporary lapse in delivery of the experience award, and thank everyone that helped us identify the problem.

Please accept our apologies for any confusion or inconvenience these changes may have caused.

Attenwood

2. Blade Savage

Blade Savage Avatar

3. Dereck Visaard

Dereck Visaard Avatar

Thanks for staying on top of it and keeping our best interests at heart!

4. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

Is the delivery of that XP now bound to the server time like the Oracle test, so that we become it once per day no matter if we log in at 1:00 am, 7:00 am, 3:00 pm ?
    Or is it still that silly and untraceable 24h period ?

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As was pointed out many times, nobody requested that the daily experience bonus be part of the Oracle's test. What was requested is that the timer reset at midnight instead of after 24 hours from the last awarding.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is exactly the type of phrasing that confused the dev team to begin with.

7. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Is the experience bonus noted in the chat window and/or chat log, as before?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  8. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yes. The reward requires players to be logged in to receive. When delivered, messaging will be seen in the chat log.

9. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Thank you. Bug report report forthcoming.

10. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Just to be clear,because there does seem to be a lot of confusion, the community didn't request that the XP bonus be part of the Oracle test,what was requested by everyone who commented, including myself, was that the XP bonus we receive daily be reset at midnight,which happened to be the reset time of the Oracle. This way both would be reset at the same time and no matter when you did them that day,the next midnight would reset them again. In no way that I ever read from anyone was it requested to be tied to the Oracle test,only that the Oracle test and the XP bonus be on the same reset timer at midnight.
    So in other words,visiting the Oracle had nothing to do with getting the daily XP bonus at all.

Wintermute of CoF, Mykll, Net and 9 others like this.
  11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Yes, exactly.

In fact, if anyone did request that it be attached to the Oracle directly, I'd love to know where this was because it seems like a great place to make suggestions.

12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Ok ... We all know that we didn't request the daily 10k xp be tied to the Oracle test quest. The Dev's either thought that is what we all meant, or they thought this was the quickest easiest way to change the delivery method to satisfy what we were requesting. Either way, they tried to improve this feature to make it better.

Since they now understand that speaking to the Oracle was not as convenient for everyone as they thought... they changed it back to the old way of just having to log into the game to get it (although it still isn't clear if it's a set 24 hours or resets at midnight).

My point is, I don't think we need to harp on the "mistake" made, especially when they so quickly realized it was an issue and fixed it ASAP. The statement from Attenwood should be received with appreciation of how they responded to our requests and how they are constantly trying to improve the game based on our feedback.

13. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Daxxe, I am really not trying to go on about the mistake made,what I was wanting to know how there was such a large disconnect between what the community said and what the developers thought we said. But my comment was only to point out that wasn't what everyone was asking for. I am not going to brow beat any developers over it, I just didn't understand.

14. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

Incorrect.

It was requested in the Bug Brigade Chat in Discord by a Bug Hunter or two.

15. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

A fair point and question Fred.

I have no idea what they discussed when implementing the first plan to help us. Only thing I can imagine is that they are under so much pressure with getting each and every release out in time (especially this one with being down a week due to the Preforce) that maybe they just glanced over the request and responded to what they remembered being asked during the telethon. Let's not forget that they do tend to drink some alcoholic beverages during these things and perhaps that was a factor? Obviously that wasn't a factor the rest of the month of developing this release (at least I hope not! :eek:) but perhaps they were working on a fix for what they "thought" they heard us ask for and maybe they didn't

I really don't know to be honest. It could very well just be that this was the easiest remedy they could squeeze in or maybe LB just like the fact that something else was tied to visiting the Oracle?

16. Crandall

Crandall Avatar

Yes, this is correct.
    If is has been decided that finding and logging into an Oracle daily is too difficult, then I have decided that remembering when my avatar last got the 10K xp bonus is too difficult. Especially as I have more than one avatar.

17. Crandall

Crandall Avatar

And this chat is available to be seen by whom?

18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Why wasn't this something brought to general discussion? Do the Bug Brigade people speak for all of us?

I hate, after four years, that we're still suffering from a communication issue.

Mykll, 3devious, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  19. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

And to be fair to our Developers:

There were threads, people said they don't want the XP Bonus!

So the Intention to connect it with the Oracle visit wasn't so bad, because of people who didn't want it ...

Most players are happy for the 10.000 XP, because of the death decay loss, what is another case of what most people want and what we get ;)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  20. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

To communicate is not easy in real life. In a big family, in a very big community it get's not easier...

If you read just a few threads, it often feels like:
    Did they read, what was said there? Didn't they catch, what was spoken in the telethon?
    (Who have time to watch every one?)

Beside our very different vocabulary, non native speakers handle with, it is a great challenge!

Not only for most of us reading this enormous stuff (and understanding it right), last but not least for the Portalarium Team who must handle this "beside" their daily work...

Well, so don't let us forget: we all are humans, and not machines (like the Oracle).
    Errors are in this World to learn from...
    No reason to hate, may be just a good reason more to smile :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.