Dear Sirs : will the average joe be able to have a little house?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Owens Casey, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

Archeage is already dying though. 1st 4 days I could not play at all (pre launch) ..constant dc's.
    2nd week so many bots on top of over pop server I f you logged out you would have to wait for hours. Free players with no sub players I started out with were waiting 12 to 15 hours or more just to get in.

Buy the time I got to play consistently all the land was gone... I was lucky to get two 8x8 farming lots.

I played like 6 to 10 hours a day and farmed coin through farming plants and transporting goods. Making about 100- 200 gold a day once i figured out how everything worked.

Now I have house that is full of great stuff, but through a massive solo effort of hard work and time. I made a deal and got the house for 780 gold. Which is like 4 days off hard grinding transport goods...pretty grueling and boring. I like the combat system in this game
    (shroud)more like my favorite on which in guild wars. I am just to old and slow to use 50 different spells at once LOL.

The server population is dropping quickly now and land will be freeing up. I am on the most populated server and I notice the drop off over last last 8 weeks is HUGE. Spots are going to be opening up for those that want them. Unfortunately I hate the combat system and want out... would love to trade my account for one house and deed.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

....? There is a HUGE difference between " housing being sold out at launch " , and " housing might be sold out a couple of months into the game " .

The question was if Avarage Joe will be able to obtain a home. The answer to that is YES, if you are Avarage Joe that play from launch.
    Casual Joe - However, will probably not be able to own a home for quite some time , but i don't see any problem with that. A healthy house market is one of the best signs of a healthy game.

3. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

WELCOME, by the way :)
    The community is overall GREAT, thats why many of us dont mind just throwing our wallets at this game.

When it comes to housing, you should not worry, at all. Housing WILL be availible, and after game is released, even more house lots will pop up, as people can obtain thier own cities with ingame gold ( somehow, we dont know how yet ) , and ofcourse people with houses will stop playing etc etc...

Also , there are quite a few of us with spare housing, make friend with some, and you will surely have roof over your head until you can get your own place :)

Owens Casey likes this.
  4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

this game fails if I have to rely on someone else to buy a house and or can't ......

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

One week after launch this forum is going to have nothing but "there's no housing left!" posts everywhere. That's called being sold out at launch.

The devs kicked around some mythical 30% number to explain that housing would be available beyond what they sold in the add-on store or via pledges. But if you take the number of people that will play this game and you remove the 10k or so that have housing right now, I don't think the extra 3k houses are going to fulfill the needs of 500k+ people at launch. I think that's a fantasy world conclusion that is only supported by wishful thinking.

But that's just my opinion. I already have housing and don't have to worry about it. If you think I'm wrong, please feel free to tell me all about it one week after launch if you can still find this thread buried underneath the avalanche of complaints about no housing.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm not worried about the possibility of a housing shortage. You will always be able to rent one from somewhere.

How long it would take to purchase a plot ingame all depends on the gold price. Given the current loot collection, I would say that the smallest plot should be valued at around 150k gold at least. It would also be interesting if they have thought about increasing the price of plots depending on how many plots are available in game.

7. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

That was before Row houses.
    There is a reason why they added Row lots, and as im sure you are aware, the row lots ingame have raised the number of availible lots by a metric crapton.

I guess neither of us know! This have been discussed so many times over the past 2 years.

But i still refer to the question in the original post in this thread:

he say he cannot afford to pledge enough to get a house, but he ask if he will be able to get one ingame.
    Since he seem to value housing alot, i say that - Yes - he will be able to get a house.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Welcome Owen, check us out in PaxLair also. PaxLair as a player town is DEFINITELY holding back lots for later release. Our town will NOT be full when E1 goes live.

We're also big on supporting the stretch goal for flexible placement. Our idea with that is that a number of our citizens have offered to make space on their lot available so a second small home can be placed providing a bit of living space to those not able to get housing in any other manner.

9. Drocis the Devious

That's a great point, it did increase housing quite a bit. Renting, as many others have already stated, will also ease some limitations.

If the game is a flop and people play it and think "I don't care if I ever get housing in this game, it's horrible" that too would open up tons of free space.

But I don't think the collection of risks and nuanced additions to housing (like renting and row lots) will be enough. The supply is finite, the demand is HUGE, and the combination will be ripe for a shortage. If this game can capture the imagination of MMO players like UO did, I don't think we're going to see many for sale signs until Episode II.

10. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

No, the supply is not finite at all, why do you say that?
    Additions of entire towns can be done over time, players can purchase towns once its released... Etc.

But don't get me wrong, i don't complete disagree with you, i´m just trying to stay positive. naive? Maybe!

11. Drocis the Devious

I'm saying the housing is finite because the devs say it's finite. They've used that word many times.

And I don't think this is a negative AT ALL. I think limited finite housing is a GREAT selling point. Why in the world would it be important for everyone to have housing? The moment everyone has something, it loses it's value. Everyone should have the opportunity to get whatever they want in the game, but it should come with a variety of risk and work required to achieve that. In the case of people that pledge now, we're taking on a lot of risk and putting in a lot of work in the hopes that the game will be a success. Someone that shows up on launch day for the first time hasn't risked hardly anything, or worked for hardly anything in comparison to someone that pledges now.

The trade off is that if the game is successful, it rewards those that took a risk now. If the game is not successful, it doesn't pay out a reward. It's a very nice model, and I think it will provide a very interesting environment for roleplaying for many years to come.

Arradin likes this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

tiny cheap plots for tents would be awsome!

bring back the camping! lol

13. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

love this idea!!!!!!! have spots allotted outside towns for crooks, homeless and vagrants.
    they can live in little tent areas. dirt dusty and infested with raccoon and rats.

14. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

based on my style of play, I could totally get by with a tent lol

15. Brondator

Brondator Avatar

Wouldn´t there be a number of servers (or shards ;) ) according to the demand of players and Continents/RP/Languages resepectively?

/Bron

16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The current thinking is there will only ever be a single online game world, where everyone playing the game will exist together. :)

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No, Brondator. There is a single server.

18. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Just a quick thought / comment. While I am excited about player owned towns and the promise they have, they also come with some amount of risk to players taking up living in those towns. I don't think this is always clear to new players. Aside from whatever promises are made by town owners there is no guarantee the property your house sits on will be available for any specific amount of time, or even under which circumstances the property tenancy may become voided. Hopefully most of the time this will be a non-issue, and for players that are flexible with their living arrangements it probably doesn't matter. Although it would suck to not have access to my house if I was in transition of moving the property, or I was unexpectedly removed from a town. Hopefully Portalarium will have some way to access our houses and lots, even if they don't sit on a publicly accessible property.

In any case, I also foresee players that choose to live in the player owned towns as potentially a point of stress and contention for some players at times. It would be a shame if the power dynamic between house owners, and town owners, becomes the cause for some house owners to leave SotA. I hope at the very least that when taking up house ownership in a player owned town, the player is notified that their tenancy is entirely controlled by the player town owner, and no expectation of property ownership (or rights) is expressed.

19. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I think you miss a very important step here. The pledge housing/lots are just rewards for pledging now. It is important that people DO NOT use that as a yardstick to measure the final game by. Houses and lots will all be acquirable by in game money. Other people, like myself, who start up player owned towns also contribute to expand the number of potential housing spaces available in the game.

20. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

This is why when living within a player owned town it is important to get to know the kind of community you are taking part in. The comments you raised are indeed very realistic, as a player town owner myself it is things like what youve discussed which led me to go and create a thorough and well thought-out set of rules to live by, and why i do much to try to keep our community close to get to know each other. So they know whom they are "committing" to living with.

It is also important to note that if for whatever reason your lot is "kicked' from a town, your house will be packed up and you can deploy it in another lot exactly as you left it. You will not ever run into a time where someone else has access to your stuff and you do not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.