Death Decay Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jun 21, 2017.

?

What's your opinion on skill/death decay?

1. It's way too punishing, and all loss should be removed from death.

38.6%
  2. I'm generally fine with the system, but perhaps lighten up on the punishment.

4.6%
  3. I'm fine with the level of loss, but would rather it be done differently.

5.0%
  4. I'm fine with the system.

28.9%
  5. It isn't punishing enough. The loss should be greater.

5.4%
  6. Crank it up! I am death incarnate.

6.8%
  7. NEW: Some loss is fine, but the current type and level is excessive

10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

As I found out the other day, my skills are worth around 50M in xp points, and frankly death is not scary.. Id love to hear from others who say its too much a) how your skill tree looks b) what games you played prior

Zapatos80 likes this.
  2. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Bingo.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

How much do you lose when you die, @liz_the_wiz ?

4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

@Duke Albert,
    I understand, why you won't participate in discussions, because having the feeling of discrediting.
    I don't know, what happened like this before in other Threads.

I'm just sorry about the way things are be discussed and most time I try to be positive and take a sense of humor.
    The thing is: often we don't see, that our kind of humor or writing style feels bad for the other person.
    So at this point may be an apology should be a correct way, where I used words, somebody felt bad :(

What I try to do, if somebody throws mind pins, I just come back to the facts, I want to say.

Fact is: nobody can prevent you to tell about your feelings and your thoughts.
    Go on speaking the truth with courage and every time keep love in your heart :)

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You know whats bad?

A lot of people dont write their thoughts and what they want down.
    They dont argue (anymore) tired of discussions.

It seems its around 50/50 for the people that voted.
    Some are fine in different gradation another big part feels significantly harmed, stopped playing or grouping.
    The Focus Nerf was similar.

We strongly need a softcap that prevent people from having dozens of GM and be Master of Everything for all online Modes.

Why? Because of PvP!

Or this is what they want.
    Then PvP is only for people with plenty of time and min max mentality.

6. Paladin Michael

Where can I see the whole amount of my actual XP points for all skills?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@FrostII I lose on first death. 55430 :) yes, I just went and died for this..

So frankly that seems so little!! considering a base of over 50M

@Sir_Michael you cant.. it came up in discord, and Atos looked it up the only other way is recreate your toon offline and add up the numbers

FrostII and Sir_Michael like this.
  8. Paladin Michael

@liz_the_wiz,

thank you for dying for truth ;) And what is/was the current amount in your XP pool to distribute in moment of dying?

9. Paladin Michael

1. You want to participate in PvP
    Well, there are organized PvP fights.
    And as I know there are honorable rules, that no high lvl player is fighting another. And if you want so: you can declare not to loot another!
    This - and only this - would be the reason for me to make a friendship PvP fight.
    Not to kill another and loot him, but to try and see how the game system works having a thinking(!) counterpart.

So, @Stundorn, I think you could ask Jade, a very nice player, to participate at those fights.
    If there is a honorable behavior, there is no fear of high end players, only the interesting part of it to see how far you can get with :)

2. No friendfights - I want to do with others in a harder way
    If the game wants to have epic party fights, you're right: having 50 newbies fought by 1 super hero is tragic, like I saw it before in UO, as I started and knew nothing about such things ...

For having a fair possibility to reach the level of such a he man player, a cap - whereever - is needed.
    I suggested in a post above to limit the XP POOL you can "earn" each Episode. No need of skill hard cap anyway.

3. Anyway, there is no endless growing - never
    Each Episode shall bring new challenges. How should this be reached without a border of expanding?
    May be another way is to cap with (this hidden) Adv. Lvl.
    For EXAMPLE:
    max. Adv.lvl. 120 (means not skill lvl!) Episode 1
    max. Adv.lvl. 150 Episode 2
    max. Adv.lvl. 175 Episode 3
    max. Adv.lvl. 190 Episode 4
    max. Adv.lvl. 200 Episode 5
    Max of Adv.lvl. means: you don't earn any XP point, because you reached every enemy and can fight it easy.
    Would be good also: if all enemies are yellow, you don't get any XP point.

Just thoughts, how it could work.
    There is NO ENDLESS GROWING. Not in this world, not in Novia.
    This means not, that there couldn't be an endless playing ;) Play to death is possible ... it's like a dance to death ;)

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

We now need a poll to see:

All those who say it is fine the way it is, what adventure level are you and how much xp do you lose vs those who think its too punishing.

Saying its fine when losing 50k xp is fair enough but when it gets to 500k? 5m?

FrostII likes this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Sir_Michael

The Seer is usually no one who joins Tournaments, although he did once, but that participation was more to save someones honor, but then i accidently won :confused: :D

So, a duell is maybe fine here and there, but not what i understand about PvP.
    We have PvP Scenes - fine - so i talk about open world PvP.
    I am interested in exploring Ruins & Shardfalls as a Researcher and Loremaster, as someone who is interested in the environment, the storys behind the scenes, the Mobs there, the ressources...
    And i am aware of Outlanders who went mad and attack everybody, although there are harmless researchers in robes walking with a staff.

Thing about PvP is, what is it about? Playerskill or spent time? Its absolutely not about playerskill - its only about time spent to grind and equip, its abut mastering every magic school to get high attunement and resistance in every school and to get best gear, artifacts, an insane amount of buffs you need to collect allover the world.
    People who live in PoTs with Shrines what fit PvP, have tons of Dragon Stew and Demon Tea ready, using Obsidian Potions, have +15 Gear or better, Stats beyond 100+ etc...
    aren't beatabe to me and they will never be beatable to me, except i do things in this game i avoid doing because they destroy my immersion and my fun playing.

Therefor i ask for a cap - Hard Cap, Soft Cap - i don't mind!
    Just a cap that make it possible to partake in PvP after some month of playing without to have to min max everything and grind 24/7 for a couple of month.

We have a classless system, but does that mean we are doomed to not to play any class and build one from the possibilities we have.
    Are we forced to skill all and everything to be competetive?

Classless Systems with Skills free to combine means to me i choose a combination - hopefully a vital one - and not i take everything, because thats the Class Master of All, and everybody is more or less the same.

Or i am wrong and i just didnt made it yet, because i spent less time - my daughter wouldnt agree - and i need to catch up to 50+ GM and such...
    Well lets assume then i am ready around 2020.

When i asked for help some month ago because i couldnt survive, had reg costs, etc. and get some answers, that were the same someone gets recently when he asks how new players get gold and be self sufficient.
    2 people answered - kill hardened skelletons o_O
    Well, that shows the majority of the players have already lost their knowledge about beeing a new player.
    Its the same for casuals in general - i talk of normal casual players - who are not able or willing to rush through content and need a lot of time to even be possible to go into a mine or beat T5 Mobs. But most voices at the Forums are players with Chars between AdvLvl 80 and 100.
    Far, far away from beeing new players or beeing casual players playing since persistence.
    I think most casual players, who play since persistence arent Level 80+

Same for PvP - to be competetive in the system we have - it takes many, many month willing to grind - most people just dont give a **** and maybe wont ever PvP, although they are not fearfull or in general against it.

All this issues about PvP are issues about Caps - soft, hard, whatever... because if hardcore min max players define the measures - they can only compete among themself.
    There is no chance for normal casual players to partake in open world pvp!
    therefore there are no people doing it except the hardcore min max plaery who like pvp!

therefore we need to close the gap, we need to have a cap, for all i care a softcap, if working and more diminshing returns.

Your Idea about a max of XP per EP is not bad at all, but not limiting enough for me. Yes limiting - i dont want them for offline Modes, but i ask for Limits for all online modes to
    make PVP, Economy and Groupplay interesting and neccessary.

Someone mentioned that every single skillpoint spent have something like a diminishing return too - so that spreading skillpoints isn't possible and you have to concentrate on less skilltrees and schools.

Same for Crafting - Mastering one profession Cap! creates dependencies - You are a Masterworker and make fine Bows - now pay the Enchanter to enchant it, to get a higher price at the market.

But maybe we all play the singleplayer game that was announced first with online options and try to treat this game as an mmorpg or something like that, but many of its gamemechanics arent created to be a mmorpg.

That said - PvP is a MMORPG feature or something for arena matchmaking without levels or character progression.
    But we dont have MMORPG mechanics about Character Development and Progression - there is no balance and there is no choice except the choice to skill all and everything and take it to 100+

Because we have no Cap and a classless system that is not about building you own unique class, but the Class of Master of Everything.

I stay at my playstyle, because if not i would quit and i stay at my "class", although i'm artificially limiting myself and i will never be competetive!

I hope @Chris @Lord British you will limit players and implement a cap (sof-, hard-) what make this game, what has turned from a singleplayer game to be more like a MMORPG more balanced
    so that we
    1. can close gap about the distribution of powers
    2. create dependencies to crafters, harvesters,... create an economy
    3. make normal casual playing people some day competetive to be able to partake in PVP

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i think if someone loose 500k its maybe already to much what he leveled.

13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

If my death helps put this whole decay is bad thing in perspective its well worth it.

@Sir_Michael
    I usually have a pool of 1.2M and have 4GMs.

if someones getting 500k death? then it would suggest they have 500M xp on the table, which we know its about 150M to GM *ALL* skills, and its 200 and a few M to 120 all.. so, if you can get o a 500k xp death, you should be cutting through stuff like butter, regaining that should not be an issue.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Wow. 8 more pages on skill decay.

Sorry but I am feeling in a mentally lazy mood. Can anybody fill me in about any new viewpoints or new understandings have emerged here in this thread yet?

Has even a single person changed their mind or modified their viewpoint one way or another as a result of 8 more pages of debate?

Have the results of the poll finally laid the issue to rest?

These are sincere questions, by the way.

FrostII likes this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am lazy too, plus I might unintentionally misrepresent some opinions. So I will just answer this one.... "No"

However, that may not be the goal either. There are clearly less posts claiming to represent the majority. The poll proved there is no majority.

16. Paladin Michael

As you see, there are needs to talk about. To change our point of view is the beginning of changing our mind ...
    If we don't talk anymore, may be all is good - or whatever it could mean ...

A forum or a game, where people talk means that place is alive ;)
    Seems a good sign for a community and a game.

To the sincere question, that's something just the developer will show with their next steps to respond :)
    I think a lot of things working this way:
    it's not about the view of one person, but about a matter a lot of people care about.
    And this is the reason, things change.
    How they change - that's another point :)

Stundorn likes this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If that is what someone really wants, they only need to ask the question in the next telethon on July 6th in a polite non-biased way.

Stundorn likes this.
  18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

If indeed such proof is present, and accepted, I would personally consider that significant progress.

Seems to me like the community is split by thirds on the question of whether to turn up, turn down, or leave decay as it is.

Therefore, it seems to me the fairest way to deal with the situation would be to have the devs break the three way tie.

Therefore status quo wins.

Personally I haven't even bothered to look at decay since it was quite hugely reduced for any skills below 80 at the last update.

I sincerely hope the community can start to wrap our minds around the very short time there is until Launch, and how many more things need to get done before then.

My fear is that continuing to rehash this issue will only fuel the false narratives about how the devs don't listen to our feedback.

Sometimes you just gotta stick to a decision, and move on. Otherwise it becomes very difficult to accomplish much.

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I predict that decay will be a recurring hate-filled theme on the forum for the life of the game because it has to be hated to work. Any real death-penalty is going to share the fate. Hopefully, the regulars will just become numb to it and the threads will die faster.

liz_the_wiz and Zapatos80 like this.
  20. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

To my somewhat obtuse perspective, a discussion forum is for discussion. ;)

If the forum is overwhelmed with posters posting the same thing over and over again, with little to no openness to actual *exchange* of ideas or with the end-goal of arriving at a final decision, then it really isn't a discussion forum. It is just a mashup of people's personal blogs posing as a discussion forum.

Personal blogs are fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, of course, so long as they refrain from publicly defaming and disparaging others. However- That's just not the purpose of a discussion forum.

So I would say a "good sign" for a discussion forum is that discussions are being had, and therefore the forum is fulfilling its purpose. That's what I'm lazily trying to take the pulse of in this thread, without scrolling through 8... now 9 more pages.

Since this is your thread... what is your assessment? Has much actual discussion taken place here?

I'm eager to know what was the successful catalyst for true discussion. I appear to have great difficulty with understanding how create the conditions for a really good discussion to take place, and would love to improve my skills.

It is difficult for me sometimes, because I very much love to have really good discussions with people, however they appear to be few and far between. So I could use any help I can get.

But the developers have already responded. In fact, since this post of yours about 3 months ago, the impact of decay on the vast majority of players has been greatly reduced in multiple ways. Actually- it looks like one of your specific solutions was pretty much implemented!

Wouldn't you agree?

I'm just wondering, because previously you stated that you would consider these kinds of changes a "fair trade." :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.