Death Decay Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jun 21, 2017.

?

What's your opinion on skill/death decay?

1. It's way too punishing, and all loss should be removed from death.

38.6%
  2. I'm generally fine with the system, but perhaps lighten up on the punishment.

4.6%
  3. I'm fine with the level of loss, but would rather it be done differently.

5.0%
  4. I'm fine with the system.

28.9%
  5. It isn't punishing enough. The loss should be greater.

5.4%
  6. Crank it up! I am death incarnate.

6.8%
  7. NEW: Some loss is fine, but the current type and level is excessive

10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

sounds good to me

Sir_Michael likes this.
  2. Albert Baumhauer

Albert Baumhauer Avatar

I do not have such a big problem with this - in my opinion - badly designed game mechanism.

Ok, I will have much less fun playing that game, but I can still play.

But It will be very difficult to keep the Drachenfels community together without all the people who leave the game because of scill decay.

To be honest: I do not think something will change:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SotA_Offic...ka_lord_british_creator_of/dj5o918/?context=3
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...10000-xp-for-newbies.92085/page-6#post-828946

To those of you who are still trying to make SotA a game that is more fun, I wish you all the best!

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Is does slow me down a bit to be more careful and when I die, but it does not stop me, or throw me back.

4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Someone said that they lost around 100k XP from death at close to adv level 100. I am adv level 84 now, and it only takes me 30ish minutes to make up 100K. At adv level 100, I would guess this is probably cut in half. How is this decay system viewed as such a huge problem? I just don't get it. When I am adv level 100, I can guarantee you I am going to keep a healthy million XP pooled at all times. If I dip down to 500k xp in that pool because of death, I'd better start re-thinking what I am doing and why. I'm certainly not going to blame the game...

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  5. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

As people have pointed out over and over, today isn't the problem, today people can balance out their XP loss in a matter of an hour or less. Two points however:
    • First, the powers that be have stated that they want decay to accrue longer, with them cranking it up over time. Not sure what the curgent stance is, but based on the original intent, max decay is around a fourth of its intend size.
    • Second, in a year from now, I don'texpect my XP per hour to improve by more that 30 - 40%. I'm around adv 80 and I can solo most T5 areas without much risk. The difference is that in a year I'll have many more skills over the level 80 threshold where decay really starts to hurt, instead on 1 GM, I might have 6 or 7. That'll likely increase my max decay from a paltry 120k to up over a million, making a 500K loss on death.
    That's what I see happening, invest time in the game and the game demands more and more time to maintain your position. Once that happens, I quit, same as I have for all other MMOs with a mechanic like this.

6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I see. I did not know they were at roughly 1/4 of what they want it to ultimately be. If the decay were 4 times what it is now, I would have a problem with that.

7. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Fake News and Fear Mongering should be punished by Perma Death (InGame). :mad:

8. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Why making it difficult, if it COULD be easy?

Make a max. pool of XP Points each Episode players can spend for their skills. And After this let them doing like they want :) Specification is granted...

So a Player - at a point - has to decide using less skills to lvl further a few beyond 100 or more skills at max. 80/100...

I think it is really ok not receiving any XP if there is no orange or red one enemy in game!

And again:
    Having a loss at dying isn't the thing, but loosing again and again playing just a few hours a week isn't fun. So please - as I asked a lot of times, twice in telethon, count decay in game time. I lost hundred of thousands of XP and wasted a lot of lifetime. And not just me ;)

And before I forget about:
    Give the 'hard' radio button for all Players who want it. Just give them 50% of normal XP each enemy :)

So the time reaching the max. XP pool eaach Episode is double for these players...

So we all would be happy to play furher Episodes to expand the XP Pool and raise skills while meeting more difficult enemies and heroic quests - the reason we're here... :)

At last one suggestion:
    Why not doubling the needed XP for the higher and powerful skills?

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Putting a cap in place is not a solution.

Mac2 likes this.
  10. Paladin Michael

I don't hate it, and I think a lot of others too.
    I just don't like that it doesn't care about players' invested time - yet.

I am okay with a meaning of death, if it beats every player the same. This one with a lot of play time and others with less play time. No reason for XP bonus, if I can trust in a decay based on in game time :) And just my opinion: NO, decay shouldn't be a thing to prevent players from growing ... to do the Epic Quests...

And as the game is still in work, we can hope for a few changes ...

11. Paladin Michael

If death decay shall work like a cap to prevent growing, what's the difference?

The whole XP pool is a cap thing, because it prevents to receive progress every time you use a skill ... if the pool is empty. May happen fast, if you die...

The told reason for this was to prevent cheating!
    I wouldn't care about a few cheaters, as I don't care about high GM players. That's nothing to do with my progress anyway. What's the Problem with? They having 55 GM? Great. They invested a lot of play time to reach it.

The told reason for death decay was a meaning of death!

The reasons told and discussed again and again seems more about working as a cap thing - instead of a really meaning for the gameplay.
    If it really would be about a meaning for game play, players' decisions should have more consequences in game. And there would be a lot of great ways to do this, because of the paths and virtues... Not just an XP loss if you came to death...

So if a progress stop is wanted - and the discussion is all about this - why not a max. XP pool each episode?

So everybody would have the same possibility to lvl up until this border. A great way to prevent - as wanted - to lvl up all skills to 100! PVP players could win too ;)

12. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

I posted this in another thread but i think i will add it to this as well.

With myself being one of the highest levels or thee highest level in the game... I find myself no motivation to continue to play anymore.. I have 271 million exp pooled and don't feel the need to put that exp into anything due to it being so punishing. I would love to continue playing and raising my skills but its just not worth the time or effort for the minimal gains and heavy punishment for doing so.. Since this release i have dropped all my skills that were over 100 back down to 100.. Skills i don't use that often or don't even use at all (Heavy armor skills, some focus tree, and Swords)... I netted about 60 mil or so back into my pool. I feel that the game is already enough punishing on the "grind" and the amount of exp it takes to raise skills passed 100.. Now we have a even more punishing system to where we get 2x the punishment for wanting to "play more".. This basically means people will tend to stop playing at about level 100-110 cause its way to punishing and such a mindless grind. We want to be rewarded and have fun!!! It's a game!

My char i wanted to play was a mage! It was fun but now with all the heavy resistances to all schools of magic its just a watered down system that is just another punishment. They wanted to get people to play melee classes so instead they put in ridiculous resistances to really make it so you must use some sort of melee. Don't get me wrong resistances are cool when done right.. But they need a system that makes a creature highly resistant to one element (or a few) and non resistant to the opposite. The Fire Chicken is a perfect example of how stupid it is.. First off you need to do it for a quest!! Nothing like hitting it for 10-15 dmg with all schools of magic. It should be highly resistible to Fire and Sun! Then it should be non resistant to Water and Moon! Derp! Anyway i think its time to rethink all these ridiculous punishments and bring back the fun.

Preachyr and fonsvitae like this.
  13. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

The very simple answer to this is that death decay sets you back (an hour, a day, a week whatever) but you can grind it back up again. You can keep doing this for years getting marginally better skills the more do it. The higher the skills the less chance you have of dying and the faster you will gain it back making the set back less and less painful.

A cap just stops you. Complete stops, end of story.

Mac2 likes this.
  14. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

It's a cap based on player skill, which is the best system for a cap. Get good, use your XP wisely, don't die often, and you can grow very very far with no problem. Even at adv lvl 102, decay is a joke.

15. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Seems like the system is working exactly as intended then? If you want to push skills past 100, you SHOULD have a harder time keeping it up. Plus, you shouldnt be dying that much either way at that level.

16. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

Yeah driving people to quit and not enjoy the game anymore.

17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

At level 67 decay hasn't hit me too badly yet, but the thought of what's to come is not enticing. For me, at least right now, it's the ripple effect from the current system that really hurts the game. Nobody wants to go out and slay the dragon or do the big bosses because their worried about getting killed and I don't blame them. This then further pushes people into SPO mode where they can go to easily "farmable" areas to gain xp alone. So it further adds to the loneliness of the game. IMHO, of course. I really liked the idea of a "debuff" to xp for a period of time. That way people aren't losing their gains and can still make progress, just at a slower rate. :)

18. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Don't forget LOOT!

oh well.. not so much for your lvl; uber harsh on lower <90 but rewards just generally meh... smh

Death should have a sting. but methinks they need to go back to the drawing board

Sir_Michael likes this.
  19. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

Yes loot is another issue that's not enjoyable also. They fixate on the data and see things people are farming that yield's the most of (Gold, Resource, XP). Instead of turning other zones into a "fun" Worthwhile zone to get those things .. They take the easy route and make those few spots into the boring bland non rewarding zones like the rest. I think back and one zone came to mind... Grey Mark Forest!! This place used to be what a 3 skull zone? It was a very nice to level up and get "OK" Gold from. The mob density was nice and the mobs dropped decent weps to salvage or to sell for gold. If my memory is correct they first changed it by making the Mobs spawn slower or they nerfed the wep drops.. Then they increased the HP of the mobs turning it into a 4 skull zone from a 3 skull... Then they just overhauled it spacing the mobs so far away is wasn't worth farming anymore.. We used to have clumps of 2-3 fighters then 1 would path along the road so you could get maybe 4-5 mobs in a cluster if you were strong enough to kill.. You could have fun killing these mobs and loop in a nice circle around the scene with very little downtime. Now you barely have any clumps of mob's with 1 mage randomly placed so far away from another its just a rubbish zone! The same way they did to deep ravens wood!! They took a perfect scene that they should of took notes on a way to improve all the other scenes. This is just one major issue that adds to the "Not Fun" Factor.

20. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

I'm very happy the SotA team doesn't cave in to the whims of people who want everything without any effort and no barrier or obstacle to the high ranks. Fortunately, there's already an option for those type of players. World of Warcraft is that way ---->

Also funny that the same people advocating for hard cap instead of decay would probably post very soon "game so boring, capped and nothing to do". I guarentee it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.