Decay: "Prove it's happening" Darkstarr R21 Postmortem Challenge

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Waxillium, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Has anyone done this yet? Apparently he wanted photos.

Also, has anyone noticed it during gameplay?

Currently I'm level 50 (a lot of skeletons) and I was 50 in R20. I have yet to see decay but I may not be the best powergamer.

Alexander and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I have not seen any decay yet. I have several skills at 80, but perhaps it's so low that i do not notice it?

Alexander, Jivalax Azon and Kvow like this.
  3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I am Level 43 (was Level 50-something in R20). Though that doesn't really matter, since my unused pool would have been drained a while back.

I skilled Bludgeon Innate up to Level 97 in the first weekend, and then switched to Polearms (now Level 59) for the remainder of the release.

Haven't seen my Bludgeon skill drop as yet. Probably haven't waited long enough though... :)

Alexander, Jivalax Azon and Kvow like this.
  4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

To clarify a bit. We are not talking about what feels like a wall against skill gain till you hit the next adventure level. I'm not certain I have seen that either but perhaps I have not drained my exp pool. I tend to see my green bars go up incrementally pre and post leveling.

Alexander and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. agra

agra Avatar

Wouldn't someone need two skills above 100 to even have a chance of seeing this, in the time allotted?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  6. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

I haven't seen it and I have many skills over 50 and bladed at 100.

7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Aye, I'm a bit leery on the existence of that "supposed" phenomena.

I suspect it is some sort of psychological effect created due to having insufficient feedback: Brains making connections between the "Adventurer Level" and skill gain where there is in fact none.

But who knows... Maybe there is some holdover from the earlier system gunking up the works. We'll let Chris and gang figure that one out. :)

Jivalax Azon and Kvow like this.
  8. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Uhm call me a little slow, but doesn't decay happen with 40 days of inactivity? Since we are using these skills and they have not been out 40 days, looking for decay now seems like a bit of a snipe hunt. (Which are real things, I can give you instructions for finding snipe if you like.)o_O

9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

That is the number given for "One Full Point", or an entire level of skill.

I would expect that the decay is probably taking 1/40 of the experience away each day under that design, rather than say all of it vanishing on the 40th day.

But... I'm not the one who coded the system, so yeah... The 40th day after R21 could be interesting in that case. :)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

It is approximately 1/40th of a point per day. So if someone just dinged on a skill and stopped working on it immediately, it might decay in 5 minutes! There has been a fair amount of decay already. Just not so much that it is worth people having 100 message long threads worrying over it.
    :p

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm worried my IQ is decaying reading this thread. I will take a picture to prove it once I figure out how to work my camera.

12. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Point of this thread was to support not worrying about it till you actually experience it in such a negative way that you might toss the mouse. Thanks for dropping in!

similarly

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../chicken-little-the-sky-is-not-falling.37081/

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Sweet, thanks for chiming in Chris. :)

14. agra

agra Avatar

My impression is people are concerned, not about decay from not using it, but from decay after reaching a point where XP/Skill gains are competing with one another, and being unable to set skills to increase only, decrease only, or hold. (ala UO)

You mentioned, Chris, that it would be difficult for someone to keep more than a single skill above 100.
    And that, coupled with this:
    From which, the point of concern appears to be "there is a sort of soft cap where at some point, no matter how frantically a player tries to advance everything, they will not be able to keep everything at max"

So, while I certainly would never attempt to speak for anyone else, for me, the worry is there are apparently multiple "skill regions" (combat, gathering, & crafting) each with their own soft cap, which we don't know exactly what it is, nor how it will affect progression. Being able to lock/hold skills, and/or set some to decrease, would go a long way to alleviating some of the concern, for me.

If we knew for a certainty that if desired, we could, through normal daily or weekly play, get all the spells we wanted, all the combat skills we wanted, have all the gathering skills we wanted, all the innates we wanted, and craft whatever we wanted, and all of those could be maintained at 80 through normal play, then there might be less worry.

If that's not true, the worry will continue, imho.

Jivalax Azon and Tyde like this.
  15. Tydes

Tydes Avatar

My concern is that we haven't really been told how this system works, and what we need to do in order to prevent any sort of decay.

I'm really suprised none of my blade skills haven't decayed. I would assume that decay happens if you don't use a skill for x amount of days, and since I never used a lot of the starting skills then they should be decaying by now.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  16. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

i think you are right. i could not read by then end of the thread. :(
    now i must log in and level

17. Haz

Haz Avatar

Now that's a worrisome statement.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Quick question on the skill decay.......is it only the skill that decays leaving your overall XP behind the scenes intact.......in other words making it easy to gain the skill back?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I was beginning to wonder myself about this decay rate. Personally, I have not seen anything that was noteworthy enough to worry about and I am well over level 60 on many of the skills, with a couple past 100.

Jivalax Azon and E n v y like this.
  20. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Alas no pictures but!

I have seen decay right before my eyes on 3 skills. Aimed Shot, Banish Undead and Eagle Eye.

You can reproduce it by locking a skill for a few days. When you unlock it, watch your green bar go back a step when you use the skill again for the first time.

It took a few uses and it was back where it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.