Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Decks are not a problem

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I will assume that the deck system is how it is going to be, so I have a couple of suggestions regarding ways to improve implementation.

The first is the problem that eye focus is on the dealt hand rather than the combat because you have to search the glyphs you are dealt in order to use them. My suggestion here is to be able to assign about 5 keys to specific glyphs that show up on the deck build. Let's say you have whirlwind, slash, and stab in your deck. You can assign these to keys 1,2, and 3. Now at the top of the screen can be a gump with three spaces. The spaces represent the three keys. Now as the associated glyphs become available in the hand draw, the corresponding space in the "ready" gump could light up. In the test case, perhaps space 1 and 3 in the gump will be lit up while fighting. You would not have to search your hand of 9 cards to see and click the available slot. Rather, on top of the screen, space 1 and 3 are lit up showing that somewhere in the hand you have been dealt, whirlwind and stab are available, because space 1 and 3 are lit up. You could click one of these or press one or three. This would keep your eyes on combat and not on the hand of up to 9 cards below.

My second suggestion is to remove orientation from the mouse during combat. Presently you are using the mouse for orientation, targeting, and glyph selection. Your left hand is busy with wasd movement. By allowing keys q and e to rotate the orientation, all movement could be relegated to the left hand. This allows you to free up the right hand to targeting and attack strategy. Three functions for the mouse is too much during combat.

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hey I still think of full loot open pvp everyday !!!

Even if they said whatever they want, its the only system that makes any sense in my mind.

Even when I was a DM, I wouldn't "cater" to my players by saying, oh ok this time this bunch of bandits is going to loot nothing, in fact they were killing for fun *ahem*

I'm sorry but no, you were stupid enough to walk into a bandit trap, you lost everything, even your starting stuff (I'm not suggesting that for some "blessed" items of course)

but anyhow... what all the jazz about combat having to be 15 seconds ?

Have I ever heard anything more illogical and pointless ?

A good swordsman or knight could fight for hours and often the winner was not the one with the "best build" lol... this sounds even more ridiculous...

The winner was the one with the most constitution and who was wise enough to preserve his energy and focus until the adversary started to show weakness.

I remember watching fights in UO that lasted for at least 30 minutes, and surprisingly enough there seemed to be HUNDREDS of people who found it interesting enough to stay there and cheer at the show.

A good swordsman can take 3 mediocre swordsman and make them so tired they're going to run away, do you EVER see this beautiful roleplay happening here ?

We're so deep underground its starting to feel hot... we're miles away from the surface, and yet millions of miles away from the truths of relevance and the stars.

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

4. OverLord

OverLord Avatar

Solution: Remove the merging mechanic to generate combos, instead just use the two cards in the right order to have the second card generate additional combo damage. This would lead to some interesting situations, especially in PvP, in which you would need to decide between using that last card in a combo chain for the combo damage or using a heal/root type card to control the situation or avoid death. You would not be able to set up a combo and "sit on it" while healing for example which is unrealistic anyway.

Experience PvP players will almost certainly attempt to kite and get behind opponents in order for the opponents combos to break but if the merging mechanic is removed then this would only cause a delay, not an outright breaking of combo damage. Casual players will find it very difficult to compete since they will be too heavily focused on merging cards and not enough on actual in game positioning.

Please remove the merging mechanic and make combo damage happen if a combo sequence is used!

note: was the merging mechanic added in order to foil bots perhaps? If not then it really doesn't need to be in game for combos to work imo.

5. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I wonder if making the glyphs actually really large instead of standard MMO action button-sized might also help. If they actually looked more like cards and took up a larger portion of your bottom view of the screen ironically you might be able to tell what they are much easier in your peripheral vision and allow you to focus on the rest of the screen better.

A larger space for art on the glyphs too would aid in making them more readily identifiable against each other at a glance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.