Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Deco tooltips

Discussion in 'Release 43 Feedback Forum' started by redfish, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Currently, whenever you're on any decorated lot, moving your mouse cursor or reticle over any item will bring up a tooltip. It gets pretty annoying, involves UI lag on some systems, and messes up screenshots.

It probably sense for interactive objects like books, containers, crafting tables, and so on have the tooltip in all cases. But how about this for other items,

Only show the tooltips if two conditions are met : -a. You have decoration mode toggled on, and -b. You have permissions on the lot and so can move the items.

This makes more sense than always showing them. Otherwise, I'd suggest just turning them off completely.

Stryker Sparhawk and Time Lord like this.
  2. Pebbles

Pebbles Avatar

I know exactly what you mean, I have those little tooltips pop up in my screenshots all the time, too.

However, as someone who is primarily a crafter and spends a lot of time and in game gold on deco and crafting, I really enjoy being able to walk up to almost anything in the game and mouse over it to see what it is. There are some interesting places and amazing lots that I spend quite a bit of time "sightseeing" and checking everything out and learning the names of things.

Sometimes, I am just curious what the item is called or what it does, but most often I am interesting in learning what it is so I can find out how to make it or obtain it. In this case, I would be disappointed that I could not see the name of something on a lot that I do not have permissions on.

However, if there was an easy way to toggle the informative tooltips on and off for deco items to avoid the hassles that you have mentioned above I would be in full support of that.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Time Lord and Stryker Sparhawk like this.
  3. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

F9 AND deco off mode should turn off tool tips in general, IMHO

Time Lord likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, when the UI is off, tooltips shouldn't show at all, and they currently do.

But for instance, you get a tooltip just when you mouseover a fence or a wall segment and its a bit silly imo.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I would look at it like this, if we want an investigation mode without the UI, perhaps we treat it like the V key...

F9 once - UI off, tool tips on, Investigative mode label shown and fades.

F9 twice - UI off, tool tips off, Aesthic mode label shown and fades

F9 again, back to full UI

Time Lord likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Stryker Sparhawk,

I don't know if it makes sense to keep the tool tips on with UI off atm , since you can't even see the reticle with UI off. So, you currently have a situation where the tooltip just pops up when you don't even know its going to come up since the reticle is hidden. also frequently switch between UI on and off when I'm doing quick shots and don't know that I would appreciate the hassle of going through thee modes.

Last release I posted a thread about suggestions for command toggles, which could let you turn on/off different UI and graphical elements by switch commands in the chat window. One idea was also that you could use it to customize all the views you could cycle through with V. Also suggested being able to remove town name banners on the overland map and weapon trails. Basically, the idea was to be able to do this all through commands so you don't confuse users who don't need all these options by putting it in the UI options.

Possibly, you could do something similar with tooltips. It depends on how many players find them useful.

I don't know, my feeling is just that the tooltips are a bit overkill for normal gameplay from the standpoint of an average player. It might also be possible to have a command key like Shift or Alt or something where when its pressed down, it goes into investigative mode where it gives you additional information for anything you mouse over. (I also suggested Shift once as a way of toggling the cursor for example between your skinning knife and your arrow, so you can loot a mob without skinning it.)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

The tooltips can be useful, however I really dislike them in the crafting process. They take over the screen and block my view of what and where I am trying to drag/drop.
    Dual 19" screens so it is not as if I am using something small.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.