Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Defensive pet mode is not working as expected

Discussion in 'Release 26 Dev+' started by NRaas, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Title: Defensive pet mode is not working as expected
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details:
    • If you set your pet to be in "Defensive" mode (the default mode for newly spawned pets), the creature will not automatically engage things that attack you.
    • In previous releases, the creature would aid you when you were attacked, now it simply stands around and does nothing while enemies pummel its master.
    • It is still possible to manually command the creature to attack targets using the popup menu, and the "Aggressive" mode still operates as expected.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Acquire a pet (I was using the "Royal Artisan Taming Creature Call", aka the Chest Mimic pet).
    2. Summon the creature
    3. Ensure the creature is in "Defensive" mode
    4. Engage an opponent.
    5. Observe how your pet stands idly by while you are eaten/mugged
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8) System RAM: 8110
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4007
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.316.Date.01.22.16
    Area: Novia_R1_Forest02_Road
    Loc: (65.9, 30.7, -65.6)

Kara Brae likes this.
  2. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Sorry but that is the correct version of defensive. You have to order it around. It was wrong in the last release.

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hmm... Then "Defensive" is now identical to "Passive" then ?

At least when the pet came to your aid automatically, there was a useful difference between the two modes.

Now, the pet simply stands there in both modes, and runs wild under "Aggressive" (which is equally untenable).

4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Hmmm it came to my help yesterday. Have to test that again. It should help if we get attacked but not attack when we target something.

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Standardized ranger commands for pets would be:
    • Passive: pet will not fight
    • Defensive: pet will only fight when you or the pet are directly attacked depending on the game (some games are either, or both)
    • Aggressive: pets will fight anything within X meters based on an aggro (aggressive range) set for the pet by the programmers to help balance encounters
      • (Example: you might have a really fast pet that has a lower aggro and a really slow pet that has a higher aggro to balanced timed waves in specific combat environments so your pet doesn't reach a monster too early providing a deficit or benefit that is unbalanced...)
    I've seen a lot of bug reports and requests thrown around about those three and as someone who really loved having a pet in UO and really hated it in WoW I am hoping that SotA brings back my love for animals in games... so far it hasn't. I've enjoyed two different pet acquisition situations (once from 4B auction and once from personally acquired mimic chest came out and barked at me like a dog... good boy mimic... good boy!) but the actual pet system hasn't tickled my fancy. I'm okay with that because every part of the game can't be made for me I just wanted to throw my two cents in on what those settings should mean based on historical uses of the terms to not cloud up the new player experience more than it already is AND to say "please continue to work on making pet ownership more engaging and fun"

Bottom line, I agree with the OP that this defensive mode should be something that is directly responsive to an attack on the Avatar that owns it and otherwise works passively while in "Defensive Stance" or whatever we end up calling it :)

Thanks!

Ice Queen and Kara Brae like this.
  6. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Since the beginning of R25 my mimic pet has been standing idly by in Defensive mode, but when put in Aggressive mode he attacks anything. I just took him to Eastreach Gap, and even Aggressive mode or directly commanding him to attack my target didn't work. He just stood happily panting away waiting for me to get killed.

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.