Disguises are fun!

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Miracle Dragon, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

NPCs seem to all magically know your virtue and whether you're telling the truth or not. I have a slight problem with this but I'll get over it if there might be some skills we can develop over time to counteract it later on in the game. Which is why I'm bringing up disguises.

A disguise would allow you to pretend to be something else in the game, while speaking with the various NPCs. It's main purpose would be to cloud their magical virtue and truth sensors, allowing you to gather information from them you regularly would not be able to gather, or enter areas of the world you normally could not enter.

Something as simple as wearing a guild bandanna to gain access into a guild hall, for a short mission, or pretending to be an attendee to a certain nobleman of the city, to gain access into the inner city. Think about Robin Hood, and how he and his Merry Men would always sneak into the castle grounds of Nottingham to save one of their own from a hanging, either dressed as clergymen, servants, villagers, ladies, etc.

These types of adventures would only be possible if there was a disguise skill that we could practice, that could eventually be used to 'fool' NPCs.

What does everyone think of the idea? I know I would really love to experience this. It would be FUN!

Retro, Time Lord, Kuno Brauer and 2 others like this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I sort of think NPC conversations should have multiple levers to pull wit (int, truth), intimidation (courage, strength), charm (love, charisma). And these should play to both the character's strengths and the NPCs weaknesses.

Disguises is a common mechanic in MMOs. It's really the opposite of how ultima was but, then again, this is a different game.

Retro and Miracle Dragon like this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

So you want to commit all the bad and evil things and not own up to them by deceiving others that you are a lawful good citizen? Or am I missing your point?

Sid likes this.
  4. Miracle Dragon

Well, the title is 'shroud' of the avatar.. maybe that's a disguise? If the people of this world are unfriendly toward the Avatar who may be destined to bring their destruction, perhaps a disguise is necessary in this story?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Miracle Dragon

Definitely missing my point. And wearing a disguise wouldn't prevent your virtue stat from lowering, but it may allow you to hide that low number from others in brief situations, perhaps to simply get past certain quest obstacles, or for alternative means past a specific puzzle. Also, it likewise could allow the virtuous to sneak into a thieves' lair.

I guess part of my point was that even though the game should be tracking your virtue and truths, that doesn't mean every NPC should be aware of that meter at all times. If that's the case, it would be a little disappointing to me regarding gameplay and story design expectations.

Rampage202 and Time Lord like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

If there are disguises in the game, they shouldn't affect virtue numbers, they should affect recognition of someone by people who know them personally or know them by their fame. So if someone is known to be a thief in town, he would be able to escape recognition, or would be able to escape from bounty hunters.

7. smack

smack Avatar

That's what I was thinking as well. I would love to see disguises as a stealth / subterfuge skill that only cosmetically changes your appearance so NPCs don't recognize you or perhaps they mistake you for someone else!

But I'll go so far as to say there should be perhaps a unique or limited number of relics in the world that can distort your "virtue aura" or whatever. Perhaps it will cause virtue-sensitive NPCs to be unable to "read" your virtue, or more maliciously, allow you to bend it one way or the other. However, possessing such an item may have its consequences!

Kuno Brauer and Miracle Dragon like this.
  8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That make sense to me know. Thanks for explaining it a bit more.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    I don't have anything to add to the content of this thread. But unholy mother of a chickenless goat disguises are fun! :D

10. Grak

Grak Avatar

I don't care about virtue, I just want a skull to wear on my orcish head!

Weem nyd hedk'nah!!!!

EE iz urk en ryl lyf.

EE iz Grak, ee lub blud!
    www.bloodrock.org

11. Insideus

Insideus Avatar

Ultima didn't have a lot of disguises, but they did have one that I remember that was always cool I thought, The Mask of Oricsh Kin, that made you look like an orc. Link: http://www.uoguide.com/Mask_Of_Orcish_Kin

It would be cool to see some of that again if only in a limited way.

12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I wonder how much deep will the this SG:

$1.9M: The World is a Stage!

A new City Center Theater building
    Rentable by an individual or group for a performance
    Only approved individuals may enter backstage or on stage
    Players must pay to enter seating areas
    Viewers may only emote, such as claps (claps are tracked to “rate” the performance)
    Money goes to performers for their performance
    Also useable for weddings and other community events!
    We add a full complement of “masks” and “costumes” for use at various events.

Lord Baldrith and Ravenclaw like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Can we have masquerades / costume balls?

Bodhbh Dearg and Ravenclaw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.