Dissapointed in the vibe of the promotion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sanctius, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

YES... oh yes. I'd pledge for such a sword! I'd pledge even more for such a sword that also does fire or ice damage!

YES... oh yes. I'd pledge for armor that offers unlimited durabilty. Leather armor 50$. Chain armor 100$. Plate armor 200$. etc. etc. etc.

More pledges.... more money for game developement. If such offering were made available we could break through the 3 million mark and well beyond. Just a thought.

Star Citizen offers more and more ships and made almost 4 million in one week. Offer what players want that gives them an advantage or a headstart and they will pledge.

2. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

^ I disagree with such a notion. So people able to throw around the cash could have access to better gear than those who don't want or are unable to pay up? To me, that is just plain wrong. It's one thing to do it with housing and to allow early access to this or that, but to give players willing to spend money better equipment? That means they would have a huge gameplay advantage and it would give the rich power over the poor. We have enough of that going on in society and don't need it in SotA.

greaseDonkey likes this.
  3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

While I understand that some forum members would certainly like to be able to purchase powerful weapons and armor in the add-on store, the developers are purposely avoiding offering such items so the game is not perceived as "pay to win" (offering a signficant advantage to those who buy items with real world money). As you may have noticed, some forum members already have a problem with items which offer minimal advantages, such as unbreakable tools (i..e, axe, fishing pole, etc.) ...You don't want to alienate a part of your base in the pursuit of additional revenue.

Jambo likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well they did say they would not be selling power. So people should never be able to buy better armor or weapons or something like that.

Doppelganger likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It is questionable if these crafting skill tree items is actually selling power or not. I don't think it's really a big deal. I don't see the big deal about a cloak either.

If you don't want to purchase anything in the store don't. However if they don't advertize it then people might not know about it and miss out on something they might want to aquire. The axe looks cool so some people will buy it and put it on the wall of their house if they aren't a lumberjack. Big deal. If they have no house big deal. I played WoW without a house.

6. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

This is my point. Indestructable crafting tools is "not really a big deal", but the idea of selling an indestructable sword is. Those crafting tools are every bit as much of a "pay to win advantage" for the player who wants to play a crafter, not a fighter. If you're okay with a similar indestructable sword being offered, then I have no objection to the argument... still don't agree to it, but don't object in basic terms. But if one is okay, then the other should be too... or alternately, if one is not okay, then neither should the other be.

The more I think about it, the more I disagree with anything that can be 'used' being sold for real world money. Anything purely decorative is fine - and yes, I consider houses decorative, but not the limited-quantity lots. Neat little holiday decorations are fine. Even being able to summon a "basically pointless" but cute holiday themed pet I think is fine. But indestructable crafting tools bugs me. How many dozens, hundreds of them have they sold? That means dozens or hundreds of people who won't be buying those tools in game, or the tools when those break, or the tools when those replacement tools break, etc., which translates to thousands of missed sales for the ingame crafters. And yes, for a person whose primary focus is crafting, that IS pay to win.

7. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

What if the Axe of Prosperity is a basic axe, and at some point the crafter outgrows it and can use an advanced axe that cuts better, faster, more wood than the Axe of Prosperity, but needs repair?

Strongsquirrel1 likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Just to make things even more complicated, what about this:

Portalarium hosts a house decorating contest to see who can design the best house. Anyone who bought a single decorative item just paid to win.

It's all about perspective, people. There is no winninr or losing, just what you get out of the game is exactly what you brought into it.

Jatvardur likes this.
  9. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I think we're on the same page.
    For me, it's me vs the game. And I don't really care about advantage.

However, for the people that want to beat other players, whether in PvP or to be the best crafter, first to do "whatever", any advantage is a problem.

Lord Albert and smack like this.
  10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think that is probably very likely Sir Frank. Which is why they won't be game changing items, worth having just the same. They will be reasonably useful at the start, and always there as a backup, or to hang on the wall later on.

Strongsquirrel1 likes this.
  11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The problem I have with the items possibly being starter or entry level is that they don't look special. When you've outgrown them, they aren't really all that different than the others. If they were made of gold or had some other special/unique design, then at least they'd be cool to whip out and wave around in people's faces during a party. That itself would be an added value for the price of admission; you can amaze your newer friends after Episode 5 ships and regal them with tales of launch.

12. smack

smack Avatar

Maybe all of these exclusive pre-launch items can glow in the dark.

13. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

I think the exclusiveness is a definite problem. People are missing items and will never be able to gain them.

Look at Star Citizen. Just about everything you pledge for will be available in the full game and not limited (unlike some of the housing and lot items here). Yet people are still pumping cash loads into it...

14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't think that's a logical conclusion. "People are dumping money into Star Citizen, therefore, it must be because everything is available in game."

And furthermore, the description of these items says that player crafted items will be better or equal. That's why I go back to the idea that they should be visually different than other items to set them apart after their usefulness has come and gone. But that's a sailed ship. (Honestly, sometimes I wonder if anyone there thinks about these kinds of things at all. Uniqueness in a game like this has value only in the sense that others can see it. No one is going to notice this Pickaxe of Prosperity from a distance, and no one is going be able to tell that's it's indestructable. Once I get better items, I'm not going to have any reason to show it off because it doesn't look cool.)

15. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

No complaints from me regarding the cash store, I actually like this enables me to get a few nice items and support the game while I'm at it.

Miracle Dragon, Isaiah and Myrcello like this.
  16. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

I disagree here, becuase I love the single player RG has done quite possibly more then anyone here but I was looking forward to a online gameplay game from RG, and I know there are some singleplayer people who want that, but there are also a ton of people wanting online play as well.

I mean the whole arguement of it reminds me of the people who use to complain when they bought Ultima Online in the early days, how they hate PVP but they bought a PVP game!
    Then tried to blame everyone else becuase they didnt like it, then came trammel!

I mean everyone likes to ******** sometimes, me included, but I also like the ability to be able to go into a dangerious world where I have to interact and deal with other players as you would in a real situation.

Trust them? Dont trust them? steal from them? kill them? I enjoy these choices being there to allow the true human nature to peek out and show what people are made of.

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

There are going to be a lot of players disappointed who are expecting to see the return of the UO pre-trammel "glory days". Those days of endless murder and taunting of "I'm l33t you suck. I r0xx0rs you suxx0rs!" and have a web site on geocities showing pics of all of their mindless kills of unarmed merchants, farmers, etc. proclaiming they at the best in the world.

Those days of UO almost killed it. Thank god for the introduction of trammel and the saving of UO. Where I could decide when I wanted to PvP and when I wanted to gather resources, make armor, etc. it became sickening to go into your house and after checking it for hidden, change armor then find a guy in there pking you when you are not ready. You are like "what I checked for hidden and found no one." Oh, the pker uses uo assist with other hacks to get around game mechanics.

Just to be clear. The way trammel rule set was introduced with a duplicate landmass was the biggest bonehead move of EA. it would of been better to make Britannia all trammel and move the PvP rule set to just the lost lands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

They alreeady have investers in the Company for a few million $ and thats Zynga games.

And we all know what will happen if they get hold of the game, It will just be lots of 1 meta towns and paying for everything.

BillRoy likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The good thing about having a PvP flag is that people like you will never have to see a PvPer ever, and the rest of us don't have to see you either. SotA will have one server that will manage the whole online experience. That means if there are 300,000 people playing at one time and only 10% of them are PvPers, then there will be 30,000 PvPers playing at one time. That's a lot. That means the people who want to PvP will have lots of fun, (and possibly be just like pre-trammel type experience for those players).

I hope that doesn't upset you because it won't involve you if you don't flag for PvP. That's the good thing about selective multiplayer. If you don't like PvP then you don't have to give anybody your input on how PvP should work either, since you will not be forced to play it. The people's input that should count is only the people interested in PvP. That seems to be a people with a specific mindset, not just a play style choice. Competition is hard-coded into some peoples inner-being. You would have to delete a few genes in me for me not to eventually want to PvP.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  20. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

http://ultimacodex.com/2012/06/portalarium-is-now-a-zynga-partner/

Quote from the article~"Still, I know for a fact that I’m not the only one here who is thinking that Lord British has just made a deal with the devil, so to speak."

Maybe he's not making a 'deal with the devil', maybe he's one of the devils...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.