Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Distance Out of Focus

Discussion in 'Release 31 Dev+' started by Lacey, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lacey

Lacey Avatar

I like the idea of this but it seems to be too strong... Standing at Cottage Grove on the overland map its hard to read the sign for Blackblade Foothills which is right across the road... Additionally I cant read the Nightshade Pass Sign at all... It seems foggy as well as out of focus....

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Leelu like this.
  2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Part of the issue is that the effect is based on the camera's positioning. If you go to the Brittany area, the banners can be out of focus even when you are standing right next to them. If you position yourself correctlym you can an edge on a single banner where the focus changes. If you move your camera around you can see the effect shift on the banners, with text coming in and going out of focus as you move the camera around.

xX_Lacey_Xx and Leelu like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

The stars in the sky with the new blur also look kind of like blotches.

xX_Lacey_Xx and Leelu like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

The blur feels very heavy especially in some scenes. It could be lessened.

I'm also thinking that if they do this, the blur should vary based on season and weather. So, for instance, where I live, when it becomes very cold, everything in the distance looks very crisp and clear, while, when its hot, its less clear. It can be a good visual indication of change of season and change in weather, apart from other things they can include, like change of atmospheric colors, change of lighting (warm light vs cold light), change of landscape colors, etc.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    xX_Lacey_Xx likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

As far as the banners are concerned, at whatever distance they're intended to be blurry, they should just disappear or fade out. We shouldn't be seeing banners at a long distance, let alone blurry banners that we can't read anyway.

xX_Lacey_Xx likes this.
  6. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all for the feedback on the new environment blur. We will be tweaking and fixing issues as they are reported. :)

xX_Lacey_Xx likes this.
  7. Lacey

Lacey Avatar

I noticed that as well... looking at the stars is something I have always done in game... its too blurry to enjoy currently...

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

The moon is also extremely blurry too.

xX_Lacey_Xx likes this.
  9. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

To me it looks like the range is too close still, the far far away blends in nice. Maybe my avatar needs glasses :D

xX_Lacey_Xx likes this.
  10. Lacey

Lacey Avatar

@Attenwood I think if the overland map signs were always in focus that would help a great deal... still think we need focus further than what it is now and I want to see the skies again... miss them already

11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I for one hope I can toggle all of the effects off. I especially hated the mist/fog and now have to contend with blur. It rains more in SOTA than in a rain forest. Realizing that others think this is really cool stuff, I hope there is a toggle for people like me. I want everything crisp. Oh... and every dusk does not have to turn everything orange. Orange sunsets are wonderful when they RARELY occur. A prune or two is tasty, but overdoing it ruins the suit.

xX_Lacey_Xx likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Even for far away, if they're going to keep a blur, it has to be much much softer imo. Right now, you can't look at landscapes or cityscapes in the distance without it looking like a blob. That ruins scenic vistas, making the game less enjoyable, and isn't even real to life.

I'm a bit confused at the moment though as whether the effect is intentional or a bug.

13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The new blur looks truly .... awful.

I sincerely hope it is not being fixed as reported because there are too many over-blur occurrences to report. Its everywhere! :)

LODs are messy now too. I have had entire buildings vanish just a few feet away from me.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.